May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (DSchrank, Ian Forrester, MattH, Hammergun, 1 invisible), 425 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,523
Posts545,796
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

Larry Brown's comments about fighting lead shot bans are laughable when you go back and read his posts in the January 2016 "Lead and Condor Deaths" thread. Larry repeatedly threw deer hunters and their lead bullets under the proverbial bus with his inane comments about their bullets being a major source of lead poisoning in eagles.

That kind of support is about like tossing a cement block to a drowning man.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

What yo you expect from a guy that thinks muzlims are a loving bunch of people ?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Joe, there are crazies everywhere, overseas and here and home-grown as in American and Canadian instances who will blow up innocents to serve their demented ends. Moslems, Christians or whoever you categorize as "a loving bunch" share a proclivity to violence to get what they want.

We send our militaries to far-off places to cause the deaths and maiming of perhaps tens of thousands more than than terrorists have of ours with nothing to show for it, except 60,000-plus US fatalities alone in Vietnam and Iraq, acknowledged now as blunders---but they're gone.

When it comes to judging religions and violence you might consider August 19, 1942 when the US was just getting into the Second World War. Canada lost 5,000 of its best infantry storming the beaches of Dieppe in one morning, a "strategic" test of German defences but more of stupidity and suicide.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
What yo you expect from a guy that thinks muzlims are a loving bunch of people ?

Joe, I don't judge people by their religion. Where my father grew up--not in the South, but a small town just outside Des Moines back in the 20's--there was a sign on the railroad station that said: "[censored], don't let the sun set on you in this town!" And both he and my grandmother told of the occasional fiery cross burning in the fields. Wouldn't have been any Muslims around back then . . . but plenty of folks didn't much care for Catholics or Jews or blacks. Just plain old church-going folks.

I'd forgotten about that sign on the railroad station until I read an article in the Des Moines Register a few years back. Seems there were more than a few "sunset towns" in Iowa, with that same rule concerning blacks.

Sidelock
Sidelock

jOe may have been one the guys setting the crosses on fire...

Last edited by nca225; 07/25/16 05:42 PM.

Forum: a medium of discussion/expression of ideas. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/forum
Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes King, you are right the South Vietnamese have done so much better under the Commies, not to mention the Cambodians. While poorly done, the blunder was on the part of both those who protested as willing dupes of of the Left, and those who failed to properly execute the conflict.

In the end and through most of it, it was not a civil war. I am very comfortable in stating the Vietnamese would have done better if they had not lost to the externally driven invasion by the North Vietnamese regulars fully supported by their communist hegemon buddies in China and the Soviet Union.

I doubt even you could argue the Cambodians fared anything but horrifically under their Communist allied with the Vietnamese, Chinese, and Soviets.

Communist expansionism was a proven fact and not a myth, anymore than the Communist use of willing and complicit dupes in Hollywood and the American left. You can argue the US had negative and positive impacts in its opposition to the communist march south, but we did not cause that expansionism, only stymied it.

There is no doubt without the help of the left's active efforts in support of Communist, policy choices would have been different.

As for Iraq, the current administration's choice to incomplete a flawed process and walk away demonstrates a strength of character which permeates their regular actions in relation to every traditional value, while their perseverance in deception and skirting of both enforcement of law or simple adherence to US Code exceeds any bad expectation I had ever imagined.

I always assumed that the left were essentially like me with a different tilt, I grew up in a democrat household who hated Nixon and strongly believed in civil rights and protecting the little guy. What The Clinton amorality crushed, and the current incumbent proved to me is I was wrong, they do not share my traditional liberal values embodied in the Constitution and our Declaration of Independence. They don't take their oath's seriously and are shameless in their actions and speech.

While you may throw around terms like "blunder," I can only agree voters blundered to trust the Democrat Leadership had a modicum of honesty. Their truth is sophistic in the worse sort; willing to say anything or do anything to win an election or a bill passage.

The left will say or anything to win. The first condition of democracy is to accept defeat and support the system. They cannot be good sports. The second is to be a good winner in understanding the need to build actual coalitions; i.e. Not ram through nation changing bills like Obamacare. I could go on, but it is of little use.

I simply cannot trust the left and have real reservations about the right.

Last edited by old colonel; 07/25/16 09:06 PM.

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm generally left, Colonel, but none here should have doubts about what I think of Hilary Clinton. Everything seems corrupted by money, whether it's Clinton, Trump or Putin. I appreciate your thoughts, from a life in public service.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The question here is, lead is the best because of it ballistic qualities and cheap price, whereas all the other alternatives are either expensive or have little or no ballistic qualities.

We don't know what the future of lead will be however what we do know is, that the best alternative to lead ballistic qualities, or tungsten, isn't going to get cheaper. There are just way too many applications for tungsten and its properties in today's world.

"The free element is remarkable for its robustness, especially the fact that it has the highest melting point of all the elements. Its high density is 19.3 times that of water, comparable to that of uranium and gold, and much higher (about 1.7 times) than that of lead."

"Tungsten's many alloys have numerous applications, including incandescent light bulb filaments, X-ray tubes (as both the filament and target), electrodes in TIG welding, superalloys, and radiation shielding. Tungsten's hardness and high density give it military applications in penetrating projectiles. Tungsten compounds are also often used as industrial catalysts."

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: treblig1958
The question here is, lead is the best because of it ballistic qualities and cheap price, whereas all the other alternatives are either expensive or have little or no ballistic qualities.

We don't know what the future of lead will be however what we do know is, that the best alternative to lead ballistic qualities, or tungsten, isn't going to get cheaper. There are just way too many applications for tungsten and its properties in today's world.

"The free element is remarkable for its robustness, especially the fact that it has the highest melting point of all the elements. Its high density is 19.3 times that of water, comparable to that of uranium and gold, and much higher (about 1.7 times) than that of lead."

"Tungsten's many alloys have numerous applications, including incandescent light bulb filaments, X-ray tubes (as both the filament and target), electrodes in TIG welding, superalloys, and radiation shielding. Tungsten's hardness and high density give it military applications in penetrating projectiles. Tungsten compounds are also often used as industrial catalysts."

What you say about lead is true. However, steel has gotten both better and cheaper, while lead has gotten more expensive. Result: While lead is still better than steel, the difference isn't as great as it once was. And we've pretty much lost the argument that steel is too expensive. And I agree with you that it's unlikely the barrel and vintage gun friendly "nontox" alternatives to steel will get much cheaper.

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.