May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (David Williamson, Parabola, 1 invisible), 1,018 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,526
Posts545,838
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

My appreciation for the above also. Enlightening to me.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: L. Brown
....We're ALL the audience, Craig. When there's a threat, that's when hunters get excited and start making noise. If that "noise" were to include the results of a study showing the superiority of lead over steel, that would help us make our case to the politicians--who are the ones that end up making the decisions.

My point is, and continues to be 'cripples'. If I had to guess, a truly scientific study would conclude that both lead and steel cripple game birds. But, I get to wave around a study that says lead does such and such a percentage less crippling. You're very adamant about what a waste of effort it is undo the steel and waterfowl hunting regs and laws. I never revisited that topic, but I'm sure you're aware of the numerous crippling studies associated with the introduction of steel shot. I would think that shows the wisdom of pursuing that leg to stand on.

'We' may be an audience, but maybe at some point you can admit that 'we' can not force a decision making politician to dig an obscure item out of a monstrous pile of business just to give us satisfaction. To help out, 'we' may be better off advocating for politicians rather than studies.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think I have posted this before, but it was what convinced me that a lead ban would be dubious:

From: The blog of Guy N Smith, author and owner of the Midland Cartridge Co, (now defunct), circa 2010

"Blood Test
I requested a blood test to determine the level of lead in my blood. According to the internet the acceptable blood lead concentrations in healthy persons without excessive exposure to environmental sources of lead is less than 10ug/dL for children and less that 25 ug/dL for adults. My doctor was somewhat surprised at my request but agreed, stating that I would have to pay for it. I was only too happy to fork out Ł40 in an attempt to dispel the malicious myth. It turned out to be money well spent.
I have eaten game since I was old enough to consume solid foods. During the war years when meat rationing was in force we ate whatever my father shot. Without the benefit of a freezer, this comprised game throughout the Winter months and fresh rabbit and pigeon during the rest of the year.
Further to this, I had a small cartridge loading business during the 1960's when I must have handled tons of lead shot. Nowadays I am stripping down shotgun cartridges on a regular basis for review in this column. Hence I am undoubtedly classified as having excessive exposure to lead.
The result of my test showed that the level of lead in my bloodstream was just 5ug/dL, half that of a child without excessive exposure!. That says it all as far as I am concerned and I shall ignore further press releases on this ridiculous claim with the contempt it deserves."

Tim

Sidelock
Sidelock

Apparently root vegetables grown in certain areas can contain lead limits above W.H.O. guidelines. So, veggies beware! Eat game and be healthy. :-) Lagopus.....

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: craigd
Originally Posted By: L. Brown
....We're ALL the audience, Craig. When there's a threat, that's when hunters get excited and start making noise. If that "noise" were to include the results of a study showing the superiority of lead over steel, that would help us make our case to the politicians--who are the ones that end up making the decisions.

My point is, and continues to be 'cripples'. If I had to guess, a truly scientific study would conclude that both lead and steel cripple game birds. But, I get to wave around a study that says lead does such and such a percentage less crippling. You're very adamant about what a waste of effort it is undo the steel and waterfowl hunting regs and laws. I never revisited that topic, but I'm sure you're aware of the numerous crippling studies associated with the introduction of steel shot. I would think that shows the wisdom of pursuing that leg to stand on.

'We' may be an audience, but maybe at some point you can admit that 'we' can not force a decision making politician to dig an obscure item out of a monstrous pile of business just to give us satisfaction. To help out, 'we' may be better off advocating for politicians rather than studies.

Craig, there's no doubt that both lead and steel result in cripples. My point is what I see as an unacceptably high rate of cripples in the only extensive study done on pheasants (by Tom Roster). In the early days of steel, a lot of waterfowlers complained about its effectiveness. Two points there: 1. Steel loads are a good bit better today than they were 25 years ago. 2. Waterfowlers had to make an adjustment when switching from lead to steel, both in terms of shot size and also because of the different ballistics, steel vs lead. Because steel sheds velocity a lot faster than lead does, and because waterfowl shooting is longer range on average than is upland shooting, and because early steel loads didn't have the "speed of light" muzzle velocity of some of the current loads, more lead was required on long passing shots.

We do the digging out for the politicians, Craig. And of course we start with the DNR. If a lead vs steel study shows less crippling with lead, then the DNR is less likely to recommend any kind of blanket lead ban for upland birds.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The battle in America is upland non-tox. I'd have to agree that the waterfowl lead ban is likely irreversible. Modern high speed steel is perfectly effective on waterfowl.

The only problem for our small group of classic doubles fans is non-compatibility. Bismuth is the answer to that problem.

I do not believe science will find a problem with lead upland shot fall anything like the results that were relied upon in some heavily shot over wetlands. In addition, while steel is now comparable with lead for waterfowl purposes it is because of speed and use of larger shot. That combination will not carry over to upland use in my opinion...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

It just occurred to me: steel rusts over time and that may lead to other problems.

"Rust has an unpleasant metallic taste, which often deters people from ingesting it in toxic amounts. But prolonged ingestion — consuming contaminated well water, for example — can cause serious health issues including diarrhoea, stomach ache, nausea and vomiting. In severe cases, liver failure and major cardiovascular complications may occur characterized by rapid breathing, increased heart rate and weak, erratic pulse."

Just balancing the pros and cons of steel!

Tim

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern
....That combination will not carry over to upland use in my opinion...Geo

Astute, Geo. I wonder if we need some/any combination to continue hunting in the uplands. If we can't get it to carry over, what's that say for the future of hunting.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: trw999
It just occurred to me: steel rusts over time and that may lead to other problems.

"Rust has an unpleasant metallic taste, which often deters people from ingesting it in toxic amounts. But prolonged ingestion — consuming contaminated well water, for example — can cause serious health issues including diarrhoea, stomach ache, nausea and vomiting. In severe cases, liver failure and major cardiovascular complications may occur characterized by rapid breathing, increased heart rate and weak, erratic pulse."

Just balancing the pros and cons of steel!

Tim

But Tim, on the "pro" side . . . dentists love steel shot.

Sidelock
Sidelock

And what happens if you have some in your gut and then go for a MRI Scan? Lagopus.....

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.