April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (jake van dyke, Parabola, Der Ami, HistoricBore, Fudd, Birdog), 841 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,476
Posts545,192
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
No "real" alternative for bullet and shot, yes. That's not how it works in today's world.

When California banned all lead for all hunting statewide, our esteemed Governor Moonbeam stated that there are now viable alternatives to lead, as he signed the law. Maybe he knows something we don't. Idiot.

The ban is still being phased in, but we are almost done in this state.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Replacement
Quote:
No "real" alternative for bullet and shot, yes. That's not how it works in today's world.

When California banned all lead for all hunting statewide, our esteemed Governor Moonbeam stated that there are now viable alternatives to lead, as he signed the law. Maybe he knows something we don't. Idiot.

The ban is still being phased in, but we are almost done in this state.

Yep, California hunting has been and is being regulated into the grave. Its seems also that it was about to happen to our English brothers. Possibly a glimmer of light or more accurately common sense.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: King Brown

King, do you have schizophrenia or something? You have been consistently anti-lead and have supported Canada's lead ammunition bans. Go back and read your own words in the "Lead and Condor deaths" thread from January of this year. This latest attempt at re-inventing yourself is the same thing you do when you get called out on your anti-gun and anti-2nd Amendment positions. Not everyone here has a poor memory.

Here is what you said in one of your posts in the Lead and Condor deaths" thread on 1/24/16, post #433945. It was not possible to use the normal QUOTE function because your little brother Larry got the thread locked:

(QUOTE: KING BROWN)--
Whatever a slam dunk is, this from federal Environment and Climate Change Canada website:

"Increased exposure to heavy metals can cause:

weight loss, weakness
blindness, muscle paralysis, seizures
increased likelihood of predation
increased susceptibility to disease and infection
altered patterns in foraging behaviour, loss of appetite
reduced ability to reproduce

"Researchers use a combination of field study and laboratory analysis to identify, track and investigate the effects of heavy metals in wildlife species, specifically birds, and their environments. Where heavy metals are suspected, researchers investigate food sources, food chain transfers, individual species and ecosystem functioning.

"Research on heavy metals is helping to predict adverse effects of environmental contamination and aiding the development of science-based environmental policies and regulations for the management of environmental lead and mercury contamination.

Lead

"Research on lead in wildlife has focused mainly on the issue of ‘lead shot,’ small pellets of metallic lead used as projectiles in shotgun ammunition for hunting and target shooting. A related issue is the accidental ingestion of small lead fishing sinkers and jigs used in recreational angling.

Waterbirds can ingest spent lead pellets or lost fishing tackle, resulting in poisoning. In addition, birds shot with lead pellets and not retrieved by hunters can become a source of secondary poisoning for predatory and scavenging wildlife. Other animals may prey upon dead or wounded game animals having lead shot embedded in their tissues.

Research ongoing since the 1960s led researchers to conclude that lead shot was the most important source of elevated lead exposure in waterfowl and some other waterbirds species. It was estimated that annual lead poisoning affected 250,000 birds in Canada, and about 2.5 million across North America.

Based on this research, Environment Canada banned use of lead shot for hunting most migratory game bird species. The nation-wide ban, in place since 1999, has resulted in a dramatic decrease in elevated lead exposure in wild waterfowl. It was found that elevated lead in bones of migrating ducks decreased between 52% and 90% depending on the species and location sampled."
(END QUOTE, KING BROWN)

Dishonesty is not civility.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Treblig there is only private land as such in the U.K. Some wildfowl clubs exist who will buy up or lease suitable coastal areas and police it themselves otherwise it takes place with the blessing of the land owner. No public hunting areas like you have as our land surface to population isn't so good.

Semi Auto 12's with 3" or 3 1/2" chambers are quite often the choice of coastal wildfowlers. Inland flighting may involve Bismuth or Tungsten depending on the wealth of the participant if using older doubles. Lagopus.....

Sidelock
Sidelock

I buy a few boxes of tungsten or bismuth for my older guns each year depending on what's available locally and what I can afford but it hellishly expensive; I had a horrific time one Saturday I went ferreting and threw on a cartridge belt to find twenty carts into the belt I had been using bismuth all morning.... expensive rabbits. Often ill use my old guns mainly and take a newer gun that will cope with steel for duck but I dont have any great love for steel. Next intended purchase is some horrific modern monstrosity to use and abuse.. if lead was banned it would have priced me out of using my own guns for sure so I'm very relieved

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks Lagopus, interesting. So I take it this lead ban would in effect stop the sale of all lead shot shells at the gun shops as there would be no way to monitor hunting parties on private lands that may be using lead shells.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Got it in one trebling. That was the intention of the anti-shooting lobby. The price of Bismuth would go up and up because of the shortage caused as a result and then only rich people would be able to shoot driven pheasant and grouse etc. The lefties would then say that shooting is an elitist and rich persons sport and should be banned.

I'm with Demonwolf in that I don't particularly like steel and do not find it effective unless quite close. I only use steel to shoot goosanders to protect fish stocks on the river under a special license. Being ducks I am obliged to use steel. They are inedible so just shot as vermin. I know that I have to be much closer for a certain kill and often require a quick follow-up shot. I bought a cheap Turkish Hatsan semi-auto 3" magnum for the job. I rarely shoot ducks and geese now and only use the old 8 bore to shoot geese in Scotland where I can flight them inland so can use lead.

Steel shot not good for the teeth. Not good for ground game because of the ricochet risk and not allowed in commercial forestry as it does not do chainsaws much good. Lagopus.....

Sidelock
Sidelock

Kent is bringing out bismuth again. More expensive than steel, but at least cheaper than the other barrel-friendly alternatives. And available in 16 and 28ga, as well as 12 and 20.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: L. Brown
Kent is bringing out bismuth again. More expensive than steel, but at least cheaper than the other barrel-friendly alternatives. And available in 16 and 28ga, as well as 12 and 20.

Larry, the subject of this thread is the successful thwarting of yet another lead ammunition ban. But you took the opportunity to go off topic again to tout an inferior alternative to lead shot. How is it that you feel the need to lecture others about going off-topic, yet you frequently do the same thing yourself.

Oh. sorry... I forgot that you are pretending to ignore me for pointing out your frequent hypocrisy. Carry on.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.