May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (skeettx, bbman3, arrieta2, Hammergun), 956 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,526
Posts545,835
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

Czechmate,
I don't know if I could ID the scope, even if I had it "in hand". With no windage adjustment and the way the elevation adjustment operates, however, it brings to mind pre-war and early post-war German scopes, such as Hensoldt and others; maybe it is an East German Zeiss Jena scope. Of course this is a wild guess. What is sure, is the scope shows signs of several years of use, so it was mounted some years ago. This is supported by the mounts. They are claw mounts, but not the current "Suhler" type mounts. As it happens, I have an example of the rear mount in some miscellaneous parts I have had for years. I have long wondered what the front one looked like; now I know. Now that I can see how the police welded the breech face, there is no doubt bushings will be required. This could turn out to be pretty hard, depending on whether the welding caused any hard spots.
Mike

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Thanks Mike! I knew the scope would be probably even harder to ID than the gun itself...

The scope is probably an old pre WWII scope, or maybe a WWII. It was mounted on the gun sometime between 1950 - 1967, I can't say for sure. So the gunsmith who did this probably took some spares he had from some old gun...

Sidelock
Sidelock

Oh, I see w/ the toplever to the left then the rod that engages the flip sight is out. Then the firing pin for the rifled tube has also been altered as it is not out. It too is a little buggered. But I still believe there are initials in the doll's head well. Anyway, Emil Eckoldt of Suhl did use a heart but it typically had EES or the like inside. It was made in Suhl, passed thru the Suhl proofhouse in the 11th month of 1923 when Suhl used a ledger number like Zella-Mehlis did. Then in 1974 it passed thru a Czech proof facility as #26 for that year. I wonder under any deactivation effort if the weapon has to pass thru a proof facility? How many kilometers are you from a Czech proof facility( http://www.cuzzs.cz/en/ )??

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

I failed to mention that the way the frame is filed, side frame reinforcement, flash deflectors, etc. also makes me think Emil Eckoldt but many other mechanics(or makers like August Schuler- Modell 9, etc.) could have hired the same frame filer or a similar frame filer.

Emil Eckoldt Hahn drilling:

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=188723

Subject Hahn drilling

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Above contains an images w/ the Emil Eckoldt heart encircled EES trademark.

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Some of the features of that drilling bear a striking resemblance to my Thieme & Schlegelmilch. The fences, bosses and locks down to the engraving. It almost looks like a Nimrod frame but I don't see the cut down into the top of the frame nor the step on the barrels.

Such a shame to de-mil a fine old drilling like that. I can't imagine you and your Dad were anything but heartbroken.

Last edited by sharps4590; 07/12/16 04:33 PM.

NRA Benefactor 2008
NRA Patron 2007
NRA Endowment 1996
NRA Life 1988
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Thank you Raimey, I don't have the weapon at the moment to check the dolls head well to check whether there are the initials. I keep it at my fathers place, although he insisted I take it, I don't want to as long as he is still here (I guess I'm just being superstitious and I want it to stay that way as long as possible)...

BTW, why do you ask about the Czech proof facility? I can visit them next week, I will be in Prague where they reside...

Do you have better picture of that drilling? The engraving looks very similar. Unfortunately, I was unable to google up what exactly is flash deflectors or side frame reinforcement... Shotgun flash reflectors only give me some photographer tools for deflecting flash... :-)

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Originally Posted By: sharps4590
Some of the features of that drilling bear a striking resemblance to my Thieme & Schlegelmilch. The fences, bosses and locks down to the engraving. It almost looks like a Nimrod frame but I don't see the cut down into the top of the frame nor the step on the barrels.

Thank you sharps, could you please post a pictures of your Thieme & Schlegelmilch?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I ask about either of the Czech proof facilities as in 1974 your sporting weapons passed thru either the Brno or Prague & I'm leaning toward Brno. But either way, you should be able to take the images of the datastring on the water table & on the extractor bar and the will have it listed in their ledger. If it isn't in the Prague ledgers, then it will be found in the Brno.

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Czech, I don't have any in my folder. I'll get some soon and post them.

NRA Benefactor 2008
NRA Patron 2007
NRA Endowment 1996
NRA Life 1988
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.