April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (67galaxie, obsessed-with-doubles, Jem Finch, Mark II, 3 invisible), 1,082 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,467
Posts545,120
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Don't mean to be picky. I really like the idea of having an up to date list. I appreciate and read with interest all your efforts on this and other subjects.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thank you!

Sidelock
Sidelock

You can add J Blanch & Son to the list. When the current owners purchased the name, their plan was to make new guns and they still advertise that on their web site. Whether any new guns have been made is unknown to me.
http://www.jblanchandson.co.uk/index.html

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Toby Barclay - thank you! Will do.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi Humpty,

Great list, thanks for compiling it.

F.J. Wiseman still indicates on their website that they will build you a gun.

And so does Thomas Bland, although I do not know if any new guns have been made by either of them...

Sidelock
Sidelock

How about Tony R White
franc

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Franc Otte, redoak - thank you! Will be added.

I'd love to add more people like Kristian Reilly or Bill Blacker, those who actually work on their guns and not just add ", gunmaker" to their company name. But most of those people don't seem to have web sites. Like David Sinnerton for instance - I've met many mentions from magazine articles to Vintage Guns web site that he "is building guns under his own name", but I couldn't find any contact information online.

It might seem an injustice to ignore a gunmaker based on "no web site" rule, but while working on the list I saw in many cases that it is a reliable indicator of activity these days. Example P. V. Nelson: mentioned all over the shootig press - web site doesn't work - searched some more and found info from his daughter that he's retired.

My next project is a list of bespoke stalking rifle makers, and that seems to be a world in itself...

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Humpty Dumpty
Pete M - thank you very much!

L. Brown. Webley & Scott is as British as Wm Evans, Churchill, Powell or anyone else who has their guns made outside the island. If a company has headquarters in Britain, British management and a Brit as gunmaker-in-chief, I can't see what makes it unBritish.

Humpty, I think most people who purchase a shotgun want to know where it's actually MADE. Webley & Scott, for a very long time, produced all their guns in the UK. (And, for that matter, a great number of guns sold under the names of other British "makers".) I go to the Webley website, look at the Webley catalog, and it doesn't tell me anywhere that those guns are made in Turkey. As for the location of the company, I come up with an address in Nevada--which is in the USA, not the UK.

A number of American gunmakers, after nearly all sxs production had ceased in this country, imported doubles from abroad: Ithaca from SKB, Browning from Miroku, Winchester from its joint Olin-Kodensha operation. All made in Japan. But those companies never attempted to disguise the origin of their guns. Webley & Scott, for example, shows a photo of the old Premier Works--where shotguns haven't been made in quite some time.

As a gun writer, what I don't want to do is confuse the buying public. Yes indeed, Webley & Scott is now back . . . with guns being made in Turkey. Ditto SKB. If I'm writing an article about Webley & Scott, I would feel obliged to point out that today's guns have little in common with the guns formerly produced under that name in the UK. Not the post-war Model 700 series; much less pre-WWII Model 400 series. If I show someone my Webley & Scott Model 400, with full coverage of well-executed (by hand) small scroll and deeply chiseled fences, and if they compare to a current Webley & Scott, they won't have much trouble telling the difference.

The issue, to me, is gunmakers still making guns in the UK vs those that have ALL their guns made elsewhere. If they also import guns (likely less expensive models) and market those, all well and good. But in some cases, the current Webley & Scotts even carry the same model numbers (720, for example) as the ones that were really made in Birmingham.

Perhaps to keep it simple, the point is this: Webley & Scott is not like David McKay Brown or Purdey. Whether you order a gun "bespoke" or not, if it's a Webley & Scott, it will not be made in the UK.

Sidelock
Sidelock

You could also add George Gibbs Ltd.

http://www.gibbsgunmakers.com/

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Part 2: Rifle makers is now on Classic rifle board. Comments and corrections welcome. http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=458777&#Post458777

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.