May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
7 members (Guy Ave, gil russell, Jimmy W, SKB, AGS, 1 invisible), 298 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,506
Posts545,599
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#44785 06/21/07 03:22 AM
Jeff G. Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hi All,

As recommended on this site I picked up a bottle of the blood red dye and used linseed oil as the carrier. This mixture did not homoginize at all. Is there another ingredient or a different carrier
All help appreciated,
Jeff G.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Try using a wood scrap with the dye first and after it dries use your linseed oil. If I am not mistaken the Behlens is water based and the oil is well, Oil based.
Hope this helps.

Regards, Gordon

Our Dogs make our lives better
Sidelock
Sidelock

Gordon is correct, they don't mix and must be used independent. I suggest 24 hours after the Behlens before applying your oil. I don't know if you are just set on Linseed or not, but you might consider Pro Cuistom Oil. I believe it to be easier to use and provides a harder finish.

Jim

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jeff,
If the Behlens needs dilution, try alcohol - it mixes with aqueous solutions and will evaporate quicker than water.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jeff, where did you get the Behlens blood red? Is it a liquid?
I have used a few Minwax red stains and those with red in it but they fade out quickly.

So many guns, so little time!
Jeff G. Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the info. It is so red I don't feel comfortable putting on undeluted. I will try the alcohol.

Builder as originally posted by Yeti Behlens Solar-Lux Blood Red

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=7234

Builder if you need it come down the Parkway a couple of exits and try it.

Jeff G.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I got some Bhelens at a Woodcraft store and they said it would only mix with a propriatary Bhelen thinner. Have no idea if it is true or not-Bhelens may just be trying to peddle more product. DOesn't matter to me anymore, as the Blood Red is pretty gaudy when applied to gunstocks and I won't use it.

I mix my own red oil now, but if I were looking to buy some I would try the Bhelens Mahogany stain. I have seen some stokcs fiunished with it and that particular stain gives the proper color. It is much different than the gaudy Blood Red.

skunk out
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks for the site and thanks for the offer. Still go to Clinton to shoot?

This looks like an alcohol based stain. Thinning with alcohol and using the retarder sounds like a good idea.

So many guns, so little time!
Jeff G. Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Builder,

We still shoot at Clinton every once in a while you are welcome to join us, we will go in 2 or 3 weeks.

What will the retarder do?

Jeff

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think the Behlens thinner is mostly Methyl Ethyl Ketone (MEK) which they sell at the Home Despot. It really evaporates fast.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.