March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (Dale May), 769 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,013
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
DRM Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Was just looking on Guns International, clicked on a SxS listing, and saw immediately the torch job on the receiver.

So I read further to see how the seller described this state of affairs and read "CASE COLORS PROFESSIONALLY RESTORED USING A LOW HEAT CHEMICAL PROCESS AND NOT THE INAPPROPRIATE HIGH HEAT BONE CHARCOAL PROCESS, WHICH MAY WEAKEN THE RECEIVER."

Looked them to see who the seller was and it was "the" Ed I remember reading about in several forums this past winter.

Is there any way to keep this scam artist from deceiving people?

He may not be deceiving people at this point.

I don't like, or recommend what he's doing but there are methods to create colors at temperatures that are metallurgically safe, using modest temperatures and chemicals. Oscar Gaddy once described his experiments in this area and I understand that Ithaca used such a process to rejuvenate colors at one point.

If he decides to go public with more details than just his statement, he could become credible in that potential buyers can decide their interest or lack thereof, in an informed manner based on aesthetics.

Fred
DRM Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Is that to say his statement is correct that bone charcoal color case hardening is "inappropriate" as he indicates?

From everything I have ever seen or read the bone charcoal method has well over 100 years of use, performance, acceptance and still is the preference today and the method still used on the better and best guns.

If he were simply to say that this is one alternative method to BC, and also indicate that orginally the firearm had BC color hardening, that would be a different situation.

Originally Posted By: Dave Maley
Is that to say his statement is correct that bone charcoal color case hardening is "inappropriate" as he indicates?

From everything I have ever seen or read the bone charcoal method has well over 100 years of use, performance, acceptance and still is the preference today and the method still used on the better and best guns.

If he were simply to say that this is one alternative method to BC, and also indicate that originally the firearm had BC color hardening, that would be a different situation.

If the bone charcoal method is not done correctly, he is right it will warp the parts.

The chemical and heat process is and old deal using cold blue from Brownells and a propane torch.

Did he mention that it wears off if you look at it to hard?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sorry, but Ed, by his caveat, doesn't prove that he isn't doing something "inappropiate" also. A torch can warp the same as an oven can. The only really "appropriate" action is to do nothing.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Pot calling the crucible black? Ed is lively on his feet!

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have had guns restored using the bone charcoal case hardening process. As has been stated many times, it can warp parts. It is not the only case hardening process that was used. Many makers choose to use the cyanide method.

Yes the use of a torch can be a very bad thing. Which by the way appears to be what Ed and friends are using.

There is another approach that has been discussed here in the past. Essentially heating the metal to about 175F to 200F and applying cold blue or other chemicals. Some have reported excellent results with this approach.

Pete

There is another approach that has been discussed here in the past. Essentially heating the metal to about 175F to 200F and applying cold blue or other chemicals. Some have reported excellent results with this approach.

Pete [/quote]

Yes Sir, I too have used a torch to heat metal to just above the temp that you can't hold onto the metal and applied OXPHO cold blue. As I said before it does not wear. In fact the colors are brighter than any BC I've ever seen. The first time I tried it, I thought it was just slicker than sliced bread. To bad it won't wear.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Cover it with Minwax spray semigloss lacquer.

So many guns, so little time!

Originally Posted By: builder
Cover it with Minwax spray semigloss lacquer.

I wish I had thought of that years ago when messing with the stuff, that is a vary good idea. I used it to dress up other wise plain Jane guns to unload at the locale gun shows, in Fairbanks back in the 70's.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.