April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (Bob Jurewicz), 277 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,463
Posts545,044
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

Deleted because of a sentence that did not make sense. Sorry.

Last edited by eightbore; 06/20/16 09:05 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
Immediately postwar, there were no trap guns, except 30" tight choked guns that were indistinguishable from field guns and had standard forends.

With the resumption of Superposed production after WW-II the Trap Model was the 30" Standard weight 12-gauge gun and it had a stock a bit longer and 5/8 inch straighter then the stocks that came on the 26.5" Lightning Model and the 28" Field Model.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The early postwar 30" trap model that Reseacher points out would also be a real prize. It would be identical to the gun that came shortly after, except that Researcher's 30" gun would have a standard forend.

Sidelock
Sidelock

What you should know too is that those things have usually been shot loose and really were/are not up to volume shooting. The ejectors in particular are prone to wear to almost unusable states. I had a Broadway that was in fairly tight condition when I got it and even with the best of care I watched it wear out. Of course, I was shooting it not just SWIG'ing.
If you are interested in a QUALITY gun from that era you would prolly find considerably more happiness with a Beretta at any desired level/grade. Particularly if you plan to actually use the gun.

At a purely subjective level I always found any of the old Brownings to have a sorta klunky feel. And that deep slab sided action is just bordering, OK it's past, ugly compared to the Italian guns.

have another day
Dr.WtS

Last edited by Wonko the Sane; 06/18/16 12:44 PM.

Dr.WtS
Mysteries of the Cosmos Unlocked
available by subscription
Sidelock
Sidelock

A couple of amendments. First, "trap" models started with the first 2000 postwar guns (serial over 17000). They differed from other supers in two ways. First, they had a straighter stock. Second, they had 30" barrels with ventilated ribs. Until the magnum model was introduced in about 1955, only the trap model had a 30" ventilated rib barrel. Field models could be had with 30" solid rib barrels. About 1953 the trap model added a larger "beavertail" fore end. That continued until about 1960 or 61 when the trap model only added a square knob (a year or two later it was added to skeet models). The BroadWay came out in 1962, and for the first time after WWII 32" barrels were available, but only on the BroadWay. Probably the best craftsmanship on Supers is on models from about 1954 to 1962. I would not worry a lot about a gun that is somewhat loose. It is about a $300 fix to weld and fit the locking lug. Usually needed somewhere between 50,000 and 100,000 rounds. I would worry about a loose rib. Many seperate, and it is a $700 fix to remove, resolder, and reblue the gun. Watch out for a used gun which someone has tried to reblue with superglue, exposy or by soldering without removing the entire rib.

Sidelock
Sidelock

My fellow Idaho-ian Bob along with murphy and Researcher Have most of this correct, as they usually do. Here is a photo of a 1951 superposed in Trap form. These are very good guns, and this one is no exception. I shoot this gun from time to time and always feel good after shooting. Not always the case with some guns. Barrels 30 In." DAH 1 3/4 IN." LOP 14 3/8 IN." Both barrels shoot about 60X40 with head down close on stock, both barrels shoot to the POA. Top Barrel .031 choke bottom barrel .026 choke One inch of parallel After the chokes. gun shoots both small shot and big shot just the way I like it. (My Opinion) is that the person that choked this gun was very good at his job. I just can not bring myself to get the hack saw out and do the recoil pad thinggy..

Last edited by long range; 06/20/16 08:06 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Long range,

I love the Leica rangefinders, are they both 3F's?

I started out with my Grandfather's 3F, it is a beautifully made camera and it takes spectacular photos.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Dave, (Long Range), yours is one of the very scarce first variation postwar with field forend and hard butt. My favorite is the next variation with beavertail and hard butt. I bought my mint example from Smiling Gary S. at a York, PA show four or five years ago. I hadn't seen one in decades. I haven't seen one like Dave's since they were in production. Surviving hard butt traps are scarce, scarce, scarce.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Redoak: Yes the crome camera is a 111F Model Made in 1952. I keep a wide angle lens on this camera, the 3F did shoot the first two photos in my post.. The Black camera is a pre war 1938 model 2A Leica. I keep a post war F2 Summicron lens on this camera. This is the camera that shot the serial # photo. I sent them both to a man in New York 20 years ago for service, and they just keep on working. No problem to get film today, however Development is going the way of the buffalo. Nice lady in the local photo club develops and prints the film for me. She likes to smoke ducks and we sorta work on the barter system. That is what keeps me and the old leica's in operation. New modern photo stuff is much better but not as much fun.. I guess Old leica's are a lot like old double guns.. thanks for your comment. David

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.