May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
7 members (Ken Nelson, Birdog, mark, Jtplumb, Argo44, CJF), 246 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,531
Posts545,918
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 17 of 20 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 20
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Goillini
As a mostly intellectual exercise, I've been trying to come up with an example of a religion that gets special rights based on their beliefs, as requested by Larry Brown, and I think I've come up with something close. Members of Federally recognized Native American Tribes are allowed to possess and use bald eagle feathers for religious purposes. That would be a crime for most others.

Not a perfect example, I grant you, but the best I could come up with.

That's the best I've seen anyone come up with. The difference there, however, is that the US government deals with Native Americans/Indians differently than with other ethnic groups or religions. (I prefer the "politically incorrect" term Indians. Having been born in this country and even without a drop of Indian blood as far as I know, I consider myself a "Native American".) The US government has negotiated numerous treaties with various tribes, and deals with them on some issues almost as if they were sovereign nations. They also get to use drugs which are otherwise illegal in some religiouns ceremonies. All of this, I think, is by way of our government recognizing that they were here before there was a United States government, and therefore allows them certain rights and privileges (also in the areas of hunting and fishing) that are forbidden to non-Indians. Having taken much of the land on which they freely roamed in the past--even if they didn't "possess" it in the same way we possess property--I think we bend over backwards in allowing them to retain those aspects of their culture. It's also a reaction to past govt practices of essentially trying to eliminate their cultures and languages, and turn them into . . . us, I guess. For example, the former policy was to forbid them to use their native languages if they attended a government Indian school. Now they're encouraged to retain their native tongues.

But we don't seem to make the same accommodations to ethnic groups or religions that have been brought here by more recent immigrants. For example, our Hmong allies in Southeast Asia were used to hunting, fishing and gathering with essentially no regulations. We had to do some educating to get them to follow American laws in those areas.

Last edited by L. Brown; 06/01/16 06:41 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

The All-Seeing-All Knowing Larry Clown is still missing some religious groups that get special treatment.

Another example is the Amish who are exempt from Social Security and Medicare taxes and also the Affordable Care Act or Obamacare. There was also a U.S. Supreme Court decision, Wisconsin v. Yoder, in which the Court exempted the Amish from compulsory school-attendance laws.

Larry weaseled out of Goillini's American Indian example. He can weasel out of the Amish example by pretending to ignore me. But he will still be wrong. Again.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

l: regarding the 10th amendment: here it is:

"The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people."

and her is wiki's take on it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tenth_Amendment_to_the_United_States_Constitution

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

after reading wiki, if one is objective, one must conclude that the tenth amendment has little to do with individual rights and more to do with federalism and the rights of the people and the states with respect to their relationship with the federal government...

Sidelock
Sidelock

and as to an individual right to keep and bear arms, the second amendment specifically prohibits the federal government from any involvement...it is clearly up to the people and the states, in the context of a well regulated militia, to determine governments involvement, if any, in the right of the people to keep and bear arms...

therefore, in theory, any federal legislation, court decision or executive order, infringing on the peoples right to keep and bear arms is in violation of the second amendment.

Last edited by ed good; 06/02/16 11:48 AM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If one is objective, it's not the worst idea in the world to look at 'wiki's' policy on what information gets presented.

Sidelock
Sidelock

craig: are you suggesting wiki is biased? if so, i have not seen it. please provide examples...

Last edited by ed good; 06/02/16 11:27 AM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

He wont, and cant...

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ed good
craig: are you suggesting wiki is biased? if so, i have not seen it. please provide examples...

Sorry ed, no can do, but maybe you can ask Last Dollar? I have reason to believe he has a lot of frequent flyer miles, so he can offer unbiased expertise, to you?

Sidelock
Sidelock

What does flyer miles have to do with WIKI? I know nothing about WIKI's creds, you are the one who brought it up...

Page 17 of 20 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 20

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.