May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (Ted Schefelbein, R. Glenz, Roundsworth), 279 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,495
Posts545,347
Members14,410
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#44339 06/18/07 06:36 PM
OP Offline

Just too possession of a Model 5100 sxs Stevens from an internet sales. Upon inspection I have found that the lever is on the left side of center. The gun seems tight with the forearm off. I bought this gun as a loaner gun and as a spare gun to take on trips, a gun that I could leave in the pickup on a lonely back road and not worry too much about someone stealing. Should I be worried about the lever on a gun that will probably not see much action? The gun appears other wise to be a good condition with a few handling marks and a fair amount of case colors on it.

Rick

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think that lever stuff are for old wives tales only.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If the gun is on the face, it's on the face. If you detect no play and can see no gap between the barrels and the action face when held up to a strong light, you and the gun are fine.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If on face keep the gun. Not a top level high grade gun anyways and if it is tight and on face what more do you want? It sounds like a loaner gun to me and will see very limited use.

I use to have a Mossberg 500 that was s gun that was kept in the duck boat all the time for a loaner. Gave it to a hunting buddy one day when his new auto died in 10 degree weather. He bitched that he could not pump a pump gun. I told him then he had a nice single shot and he should make his first shot count. After questioning my parentage he learned to shuck a pump gun. That Mossberg got used dozens of times and I bet has killed 100 ducks and geese over the years. A nice loaner has saved many a hunters days in my life. A few times my own hunting day.

Sidelock
Sidelock

No.

> Jim Legg <

Sidelock
Sidelock

I had a 5100 or a 311 with bad lever position. One day, I noticed that the extension rib protruded slightly from the top surface of the receiver. With the barrels removed, I slapped the top surface of the extension rib with a plastic hammer. When the barrels were reinstalled on the action, the extension rib was flush with the top surface of the receiver and the lever was back in proper position.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Was going to tell the same story eightbore did. I used an aluminum hammer. Same result.
Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well let's see now. The locking bolt on these Stevens guns is wedge shaped engaging the slot in the rib extension from the left. The lower surface has the wedge to compensate for wear so as the actual bolting surface wears the lever comes further around to take it up. By peening down the top portion of the rib the bolt is hindered from going as far & while it has improved the "Cosmetics" of the gun the bbls are actually not being drawn down as far into the frame, as this is determined by the "Lower" part of the extension. I will take good note of this & not get either of you to work on a gun of mine.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.