April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (Der Ami, Marks_21, Ian Forrester, Karl Graebner, ClapperZapper, graybeardtmm3), 1,095 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,481
Posts545,238
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 20 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 19 20
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: L. Brown
Here are the facts: Deer hunters (and other big game hunters, but mostly deer in my part of the world) have to deal with the fact that eagles are dying from lead poisoning. Lead shot, as opposed to lead fragments, is pretty easy to identify. So, unless those examining dead eagles are finding lead SHOT in the birds' digestive system, bird hunters are pretty much in the clear. Not so with eagles, which--as anyone who lives in places where eagles and deer coexist will verify--scavenge dead deer. And we know that hunters don't recover all the deer they shoot. So if those eagles have ingested lead fragments, those concerned with eagles dying are going to make the connection to shot but unrecovered deer....

That being said, the point I was making with the thousands of eagles USFWS wants to allow the wind energy companies to kill annually--which seems to have escaped....Craig--is this:....
....if the eagle lobby's agenda is really to protect eagles and not to attack hunters and hunting, then they're obviously expending their effort in the wrong direction.

And....You can't find any quote from me in which I am "refusing to accept that there are many more bio-available sources of lead that kill birds." Only someone as ignorant as the guy you see when you look in the mirror would believe that only lead from bullets or shot might be the only source of lead poisoning in eagles . . . or any other BIRDS....
....I rest my case.

From the previous page, 'you're a walking, talking contradiction'.

Why do you continue to paint deer hunters in an unflattering and unethical manner. You have the personal opinion that unrecovered hunter wounded deer are lead poisoning eagles, but the study that you choose to ignore was about some seventeen, or so, gut piles. How come a 'pro' hunter such as yourself keeps legitimizing the wildlife service's 'partnership', funded 'study', with soarraptors anti hunting mission.

Then, the point that has escaped me is that you're trying to lecture the anti hunting lobby, under the guise of eagle protection, that they're 'expending their efforts in the wrong direction'. I think their direction is crystal clear, they have partnerships with policy makers through the wildlife service, and they don't ever take partial pro hunting positions in the spirit of coming together.

Larry, you also went on page after page about where the ONLY source of lead poisoning came from for waterfowl. They're 'any other birds', right? Or, was that just you contradicting yourself in the spirit of being reasonable, showing decorum, and impressing with facts? I'm aware you have a 'case' and it's rested, but as previous, all I'm doing is asking the national writer about a little insight to their positions.

Sidelock
Sidelock

No need to write another dissertation to explain why you spent so much time throwing deer hunters and their lead bullets under the bus Larry. It's all still there in the now-locked Lead and Condors thread. And in yet another example of your exceedingly poor reading comprehension, I never once quoted you as saying that you refused to accept that there are many more bio-available sources of lead that kill birds. I made that very accurate observation when you repeatedly scoffed at every study and example of other sources of lead that we, (craigd, myself, and others) brought up as more likely sources of lead in eagles, condors, and waterfowl. You certainly expended a great deal of time attempting to denigrate craigd and I because we are not official wildlife biologists. But you clung to the few precious studies and organizations you chose to believe like your very life depended upon it. We all know that eagles eat a lot more carrion than just dead deer. craigd has repeatedly pointed out to you that their diet is mostly fish... by a rather large percentage. Why, you even selectively edited the Audobon Society statement on sport hunting in an attempt to reflect your incorrect views on their stated position on lead ammunition. I'll bet you'd like to sweep that one under the rug. You tried repeatedly, pathetically, and failed. It's all there in that thread, locked for eternity so that neither of us can ever do any editing or deleting, because you cried to Dave and got it locked.

Where did you come up with this wild-assed statement Larry????... "Only someone as ignorant as the guy you see when you look in the mirror would believe that only lead from bullets or shot might be the only source of lead poisoning in eagles . . . or any other BIRDS." How much time did I spend providing many other sources of avian lead poisoning ranging from leaded gasoline, lead based paint, mining and smelting wastes, chemicals, cattle carcasses and guts, etc.? How much time did you spend poo-pooing them and clinging to your ridiculous notions about deer carcasses and gut piles laced with hundreds of lead bullet fragments? I thought only Ed Good was stupid enough to think he could get away with mis-attributing what I really said. But it appears that you two are pretty close, mentally. That is not meant to be a compliment, so please don't take it the wrong way as you do with so much of what I say.

I never claimed to speak French Larry. I merely typed "Larry is an ignorant douche bag" into a Google French translator, and the result was "Larry est un douchebag ignorant." So you can tilt at windmills, and Google too.

You can't ignore me Larry. You have expended thousands of words since you first put me on notice that you were ignoring me... just like your older brother. And what, still no apology to the military veteran you obviously were ridiculing? Talk about a walking talking contradiction!

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Blaming deer hunters for lead poisoning eagles is as stupid as NOT blaming all Muslims for terrorists actions.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The only people responsible for terrorist acts are the terrorists who commit them, and those who provide guidance, direct support, and training to the terrorists. Blaming all Muslims for terrorist acts committed by Islamist terrorists is like blaming all Catholics for the acts of pedophile priests.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: keith

I never claimed to speak French Larry. I merely typed "Larry is an ignorant douche bag" into a Google French translator, and the result was "Larry est un douchebag ignorant." So you can tilt at windmills, and Google too.

Keith, I will ignore the rest of your nonsensical rant. Just more of the same. However, concerning the above: The reason we still use HUMANS as translators/interpreters of foreign languages is that computers tend to screw up. I've helped straighten out a number of hosed-up computer translations of French. (They're really strange when it comes to "gun French".) I taught the language at two universities. I have two quite reliable dictionaries, neither of which yields "douchebag" as a French word. Once you put "bag" on the end, it doesn't even look French. Oh well . . . I've seen people claim that "squaw" came into our language from the French fur traders. Yet another word that doesn't even look French. And search as I might, I couldn't find any connection to French.

Just by way of helping you in your further forays into French . . . or other languages of which you have no knowledge. But commenting on things of which you have no knowledge never seems to bother you.

By the way, if you have the guts to actually START a thread on "throwing deer hunters under the bus", I promise to comment. But I doubt I need to look for that any time soon.

Last edited by L. Brown; 05/17/16 10:09 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

The only people responsible for terrorist acts are the terrorists who commit them, and those who provide guidance, direct support, and training to the terrorists. Blaming all Muslims for terrorist acts committed by Islamist terrorists is like blaming all Catholics for the acts of pedophile priests.

Larry I really don't think that's a fair comparison...

The Catholic/Christian religion does not condone, promote or reward the acts of a few sexuality deviant priests...

While the Muslim religion openly condones, promotes and rewards the acts of a Muslim terrorists.

I find it strange that a man of your intelligence would fall for 'their act'....
I do agree their promises of all the virgins does sound good but anyone with any sense wouldn't fall for it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Larry what was the source of your data on acceptable eagle carnage ?

That is stupefying to me, and if so in keeping with left wing hypocrisy on issues they claim to hold dear.

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: old colonel

That is stupefying to me, and if so in keeping with left wing hypocrisy on issues they claim to hold dear.

Ooops Colonel. This might be one of those topics best saved for a Thursday. There is some indication that you may get drawn into an endless circle, then ed will come along and offer you a link to something about trolls and Jm will give his diversity talk. Just kidding guys!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: craigd
Here are the facts: Deer hunters (and other big game hunters, but mostly deer in my part of the world) have to deal with the fact that eagles are dying from lead poisoning. Lead shot, as opposed to lead fragments, is pretty easy to identify. So, unless those examining dead eagles are finding lead SHOT in the birds' digestive system, bird hunters are pretty much in the clear. Not so with eagles, which--as anyone who lives in places where eagles and deer coexist will verify--scavenge dead deer. And we know that hunters don't recover all the deer they shoot. So if those eagles have ingested lead fragments, those concerned with eagles dying are going to make the connection to shot but unrecovered deer....

That being said, the point I was making with the thousands of eagles USFWS wants to allow the wind energy companies to kill annually--which seems to have escaped....Craig--is this:....
....if the eagle lobby's agenda is really to protect eagles and not to attack hunters and hunting, then they're obviously expending their effort in the wrong direction.

And....You can't find any quote from me in which I am "refusing to accept that there are many more bio-available sources of lead that kill birds." Only someone as ignorant as the guy you see when you look in the mirror would believe that only lead from bullets or shot might be the only source of lead poisoning in eagles . . . or any other BIRDS....
....I rest my case.

From the previous page, 'you're a walking, talking contradiction'.

Why do you continue to paint deer hunters in an unflattering and unethical manner. You have the personal opinion that unrecovered hunter wounded deer are lead poisoning eagles, but the study that you choose to ignore was about some seventeen, or so, gut piles. How come a 'pro' hunter such as yourself keeps legitimizing the wildlife service's 'partnership', funded 'study', with soarraptors anti hunting mission.

Then, the point that has escaped me is that you're trying to lecture the anti hunting lobby, under the guise of eagle protection, that they're 'expending their efforts in the wrong direction'. I think their direction is crystal clear, they have partnerships with policy makers through the wildlife service, and they don't ever take partial pro hunting positions in the spirit of coming together.

Larry, you also went on page after page about where the ONLY source of lead poisoning came from for waterfowl. They're 'any other birds', right? Or, was that just you contradicting yourself in the spirit of being reasonable, showing decorum, and impressing with facts? I'm aware you have a 'case' and it's rested, but as previous, all I'm doing is asking the national writer about a little insight to their positions.

Craig, I don't know anything about a study I chose to ignore. What I know about eagles and lead poisoning is this: Raptor rehabilitators, treating sick eagles and dealing with dead eagles, are reporting lead poisoning. THEY are the ones pointing to lead fragments from bullets as being the source of the lead in question. I have no idea whether they're right or wrong . . . or maybe part right and part wrong, because obviously there are many other sources of lead that might end up in eagles. (Don't know where in the world you got the idea that I EVER SAID LEAD SHOT WAS THE ONLY SOURCE THAT COULD HAVE CAUSED LEAD POISONING IN WATERFOWL. Gee, I went on for pages and pages . . . then you ought to be able to come up with a QUOTE from me in which I actually said that. Which would be dumber than dirt. And I try really hard not to be dumber than dirt.) But what's happening is that the raptor rehabilitators are getting publicity for their views. Have been for some time. And with more eagles around these days, thus more likely to find sick and dying eagles from various causes, the publicity is going to continue.

I've stated this before, several times--but apparently it deserves stating again: I am not a deer hunter. Just don't have any interest. But I have nothing against deer hunters, and am often happy to trade pheasants for venison. As for throwing anyone under the bus, as an outdoor writer, I don't have a "bus" under which to throw deer hunters. I write a regular column for a magazine called Pointing Dog Journal, which deals with the birds, dogs and shotguns in which upland hunters are interested. Deer hunters aren't my audience. But if they were my audience, I'd tell them that they need to address the issue of eagles dying from lead poisoning, determine how much of a factor bullet fragments may play as a source of ingested lead. And, at the same time, they need to be armed with the statistics about the THOUSANDS of eagles the USFWS is willing to let the wind energy companies kill--quite likely many times more than will die from lead poisoning in a given year. Seems that's where the raptor fans ought to be expending their energy, IF their goal is really to reduce eagle fatalities.

I think I've answered all your points, Craig. Now, about that quote I made concerning a single source of lead poisoning for waterfowl . . . I'd be interested in seeing that. And if you can't find it, it'd be polite and friendly of you to apologize for putting words in my mouth. We writers don't need anyone to put words in our mouths. We expend plenty of them, and get paid to do so. (Well, not here--where I'm only interested in exchanging information.) There are obviously plenty of potential sources for ALL birds to ingest lead. Although waterfowl--back when we were hunting them with lead shot, and where shot fall around popular hunting areas was often quite heavy--had a much better opportunity than, say, your average ruffed grouse to ingest lead. Based both on where the two species spend a lot of time, and what and how they eat.

Last edited by L. Brown; 05/17/16 07:56 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: old colonel

Old COL, I was as surprised as you were--by the numbers. It's from a press release covering a proposed rule by the US Fish and Wildlife Service. Elsewhere, when I posted those numbers, someone suggested that there would likely be a Federal Dead Eagle Counting Agency to keep track. Nope. The proposal leaves monitoring eagle deaths to the wind energy companies themselves.

Page 7 of 20 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 19 20

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.