May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
7 members (Hugh Lomas, Oberndorf, SKB, Drew Hause, Roundsworth, 1 invisible), 246 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,498
Posts545,420
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Craig: I'm only impersonating a metallurgist on DoubleGun smile but the gen-u-wine Metallurgical Engineer said this

"The Energy Dispersive X-ray Spectroscopy (EDX) study suggests that element migration between the metals occurred during the manufacturing process; the pressure rolling, twisting, and hammer welding of iron and steel laminates produced essentially a mono-metal."

Nick. C Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Drew,
The statement by the metallurgical Engineer is a good indication that all would be well.
I'm guessing that it would usually be the better guns that get sleeved rather than a "clunker" with questionable barrel quality .
Saying that, it's often a bad idea to take things for granted.

Rust never sleeps !
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Drew Hause
....the gen-u-wine Metallurgical Engineer said this

"The Energy Dispersive X-ray Spectroscopy (EDX) study suggests that element migration between the metals occurred during the manufacturing process; the pressure rolling, twisting, and hammer welding of iron and steel laminates produced essentially a mono-metal."

I believe, generically, it takes time and temperature for carbon to flow from higher to lower concentration areas. Could be there wasn't enough heat or time for that to happen between the steel and wrought, but chances are at and near welds, the carbon has 'evened out'. Maybe, when some barrels color welds bright, and others color dark, the cause of the coloring is some element or elements that are not able to, or slow to migrate, rather than just the difference of being an iron or steel. Maybe.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Drew Hause

I have to believe that the gen-u-ine Metallurgical Engineer would retract or reconsider that statement if he took a moment to think about his choice of words. If the process of rolling, twisting, hammering, and welding of iron and steel resulted in "essentially a mono-metal", then we would expect to see a mono-coloration after blueing and etching, i.e., no difference. There is still a significant enough difference between the layers that we can see, and sometimes even feel, the difference between the iron and steel. It is the contrast which we so frequently discuss and admire. Certainly, there is amalgamation and fusion within the weld joints.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

In response to the OP's original question It is my belief that no detrimental change will occur on the damascus monobloc side of the weld BUT I can assure you you will have problems in the HAZ (Heat affected zone) immediately at the root of the weld pool on the tube side
unless treated.Typical modern sleeving tubes are SAE4140/UM8 material Chrome Molybdenum alloys which will crack/fracture unless heat relieved above there upper critical limit and lowered through lower critical limit slowly and evenly.
Regarding the failed Parker it looks to me as if someone followed the std monobloc cut point of 3&1/4" . This works great for 2&1/2" Chambers but it should more accurately be expressed as 3/4" ahead of the chamber/forcing cone intersection point. Thus for a 3" chamber a cut and finished length of 3&3/4" should be used.
I would hope John Foster or Gunman would review and comment.

Last edited by Hugh Lomas; 05/12/16 03:18 PM.

Hugh Lomas,
H.G.Lomas Gunmakers Inc.
920 876 3745
Sidelock
Sidelock

What Hugh Lomas says about post-annealing of the TIG welded HAZ of the sleeving joint is very interesting and raises several new questions. Foremost would be my assumption that heat relieving or post annealing above the upper critical limit would be at a temperature that might also melt the brazing used to join the barrel breech sections and underlugs of the monobloc. In that event, any post annealing would have to be very localized to prevent melting the braze joints.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

While there are @ 200 degrees difference its still a risk. In the past I've used localized flame heat on the HAZ working in from the tube side then reduced T by reducing temp of flame and moving flame away and down tube from HAZ. This way high temp area is kept well away from any brazed joint which seldom get above 250f. I certainly would not want to subject whole monobloc to 1450-1500 F.

Hugh Lomas,
H.G.Lomas Gunmakers Inc.
920 876 3745
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hugh,

If I am aundestanding this right, there would be no HAZ problem with simple soldering of the tubes, ie no welding of the joint, and having the joint line visible. Is this correct?

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Yes,absolutely,Lead/Tin soldering is achieved a temperatures significantly below lower critical limits.Additionally the whole monobloc is heated and cools gradually.

Hugh Lomas,
H.G.Lomas Gunmakers Inc.
920 876 3745
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hugh, thanks so much for the enlightenment. In case anyone failed to understand, good welders can work in small areas with the temperatures needed by the alloy steels. There is no need to heat the whole assembly to welding/heat treat temps - only the small HAZ.

I don't think the Met Eng meant that the steel and iron were homogenized, rather they have become more joined than "just stuck together."

DDA

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.