April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Kolar Dickson, HMAK, earlyriser, 1 invisible), 419 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,480
Posts545,217
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
tw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I think salopian's suggestion has good merit. Aside from potential safety issues, it takes few pierced primers to flame cut the nose of a firing pin & ultimately to damage the standing breech's firing pin hole or disc/bushing.

I am witnessing more FTF incidents recently, so it would seem, w/factory target rounds shot by others. Most of those cartridges did fire upon being rechambered which might indicate the primer mixture wasn't uniformly applied inside the cup or the cartridge rim thickness was on the thin side or a headspace issue w/the gun, but who actually knows? It could just as easily be 'crud' buildup on the backside of the standing breech keeping the firing pin from extending as fully as it should in some gun designs where said gun has seen a lot of use.

I've had pierced primer experiences in year's past [in my case, it was a mechanical gun issue], none recently, but I know of others who are experiencing that issue in the present w/factory new ammunition & to a lesser extent w/reloads in assorted guns. I see it when shooting and on spent cartridges both w/some frequency. I've no doubt that some primer cups are harder/softer ticker/thinner than others & that they have likely changed from time to time due to combinations of cost &/or changes w/vendors supplying cup material.

I've loaded multiple sleeves of Cheddite primers in the last few years w/o an incident of any kind, no FTF's on the first loading & no pierced primers. I have had similar positive experiences w/Fiocchi 616's, WW 209's, Federal 209's [until I ran out], 209A's and some now ancient Federal .410 primers. Excepting those .410 primers, I'll use a minimum of two sleeves a year on target ammunition alone. Oh, I use some CCI 209M's on some hunting loads as well. No issues there either.

I'll also shoot a few flats of 12ga. Remington Premier[STS]target loads, 12ga. Clever Mirage Super Target or Pro Extra, 20ga. Federal Field and 12ga. Fiocchi ammunition in the course of a year & I've experienced no FTF or pierced primers w/any of it. Just my experience.

FWIW; if the 'indention' may be used as an empirical indicator of primer cup hardness, then the no longer made Federal .410 primers would clearly have the hardest cups of any of the primers I listed above.

Its a good and fair topic of discussion w/today's plethora of ammunition and components that are on the market and it is a condition that can and should be rectified .. or avoided, if that may be done by something as simple as making an ammunition or primer change, well worth being aware of. Sorry for the length of the post. I talk even slower;-)

--

We might start by asking what ammunition salopian was using and what specific model Browning? I'll begin paying more attention to the ammunition & gun in use when I see a FTF & hulls w/pierced primers and if it looks to have a pattern, I'll post it.

Last edited by tw; 05/02/16 03:34 PM. Reason: addendum
Sidelock
Sidelock

??????

Sidelock
Sidelock

my krieghoff 32 pierces factory rio 12ga 1 1/8oz rounds. about 2 in a box.
nothing else though. odd indeed.

Retired Military Aviation
Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
https://606f79f3c2431.site123.me/
Sidelock
Sidelock

I had a 16 bore LC Smith that pierced the primers, in the right barrel every shot, every load...I just ignored it for years....

Sidelock
Sidelock

This past weekend I was having pierced primers on 30-40% of rounds fired in a Husqvarna hammergun. All rounds were Polywad 2-1/2" Vintagers. I will be checking FP protrusion and also check another load for comparison. Other than the visually pierced primer, no other ills were noted.

Last edited by John E; 05/06/16 10:35 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Has your shooting improved?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.