March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Karl Graebner, Marc Ret, LeFusil, SKB, RWG, Ken Nelson), 282 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,993
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
TomR Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Over the past several years I've relied on you guys to give me advice on potential purchases. All of it good. I've bought a few Fox's, a Parker, and a some others by reading and/or asking what the experts have to say. I'm back for some more advice.

I've always dreamed of owning an English "Game Gun". Pretty rich for my blood most of the time. If I could afford it the condition was pretty bad.

Bottom line is that I've finally run into someting I think I can afford but don't know much about it, much less what it's worth. I need help. It's not a Purdey, but it is pretty nice to my eyes.

Specifics are:
Webley & Scott Ltd. SxS, 12 gauge, box lock, 27 1/2 barrels (appear uncut), 2 5/8 chambers, nitro proof 1 1/4, straight stock, double triggers with ejectors, 14 1/2 LOP, modern drop dimensions, 3/8 cast off, chokes of .007 and .015 ( per my vernier). Bore dia. are approx. .730 right and left. Weight is 6# 4oz. Action is tight, on face, and the lever is right of center.
Serial number places date of manufacture as 1922. Looks a lot like a more modern model 701 ( tear drops, quite a bit of engraving) but I suspect it to be a model 400. Condition is very good. I estimate it at 90%. Metal and wood. Everything seems to work.

I know pictures are invaluable but I don't have any.

This is a private sale, no shop, auction site, etc involved. The gun has been in storage for quite some time.

I'm hoping a few of you can chime in with fact based opinions, data etc. to aid my decision making.

I also would like to get an idea what I should be paying for it. Asking prices on web sites and books don't seem to reflect actual sales prices in the real world. I didn't reveal the asking price because I wanted your opinions on what it is worth. I don't suspect I'll be "stealing it".

Thank you all in advance for reading and your guidance.

TomR

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm gonna put my neck on the line here and suggest that if the bores are clean and there's ample wall thickness, the screws aren't chewed and the hinge looks unbutchered, it'll probably be a good workhorse which could last for years and years if it's looked after.
It'd be nice to let a good gunsmith give it the once over if the seller agrees to it.

Rust never sleeps !
Sidelock
Sidelock

Tom, as a webley fan, i'd advise you to snap it up. Webley never made a bad gun that i can think of. Also webley made and did work for a lot of higher end gunmakers, their products were excellent. I have no experience of the new turkish stuff though.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Tom, from your description I'd go along with your supposition that the Webley & Scott you've found is the model 400. Great guns. The one you're looking at sounds like a great bird gun! I don't know what the price should be but I would expect you'd be getting a fair deal between $2,500 and $3,000...Geo

mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

i have a 400, great gun, screw grip,a lot more work went into 400s than 700s and webleys are great guns if in good condition.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Wasn't there a 500 model from about that era, also? Some of the earlier models have bushed strikers, a nice feature.

Nice guns, but, condition is king on pricing, and I can't see it. Good Luck, anyway.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Tom, I'd take issue with on Brit game guns need be pricey. The W&S you are asking about is a prime example. Just about any Brit gun weighing 6 1/2# in 12 bore will be a game gun; your prospective gun would actually be considered a light game gun.

Value. W&S is Brand Value level three - BV3. The gun itself will fit to "second level boxlock ejector" - Original Quality grade six - OQ6. Nice, serviceable gun with no apologies needed, but not a "best work" gun, either. Current Condition level sounds like "significant use;" CC3.

BV3-OQ6-CC3 = $2,320. Make it plus/minus $500 and you have the likely envelope of possible values.

Hope that is of some value to you.

DDA

Sidelock
Sidelock

Are we sure those guns came with 27 1/2" barrels ?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Friend of mine had the same W&S moved to Parkers and put it up for sale. I shot it a lot and now wish I had bought the gun. At the time all I could think about was Parker, English game gun like the W&S handles different. Now I appreciate how good they are with the right loads.

Boats

Sidelock
Sidelock

"TomR," a Webley & Scott, especially of that era, is an excellent boxlock gun and a well-made choice. I have shot and owned a number of them over the years and each always did the job to hand and handled as well as any other gun, even comparatively much more expensive boxlock guns, if the stock dimensions were usable for me and the mechanics were as they should be.

I understand this transaction would be private sale, which means you can probably make a very good deal. Condition will, as has already been said here, control price. If you are seeking advice, my advice would be to locate a well-known and established vintage / antique gun gunsmith and take the gun to him for a complete cleaning and professional review. And I would make the purchase and the price paid contingent upon that expert's opinion. In tendering $250-300 for this service, you will save yourself a lot of concerns over unanswered questions and cure doubts, as well as understand the true value of what is on offer for potential purchase.

Good luck!

Regards,

Edwardian

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.