March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (fullandfuller, Lloyd3, SKB, Jimmy W, 1 invisible), 305 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,980
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#441414 04/13/16 10:49 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Good morning,

I am hoping that someone might be able to provide some information (general info, quality, value) on an Armas EGO I am looking at. This is what I know: stated to be made in 1982, 27 3\4" barrels, 3 chambers, bores are great, ejectors, LOP is 14 3\4, wood is very plain, stock appears to have been cut, swivel hardware added, marks on a few screw heads.
Thanks in advance.

[img:center][/img]

Last edited by VictoryXC; 04/13/16 10:53 AM.
tw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Good luck on your quest. I have an EGO SBT that is in some ways much like a Ljutic w/the release being a 'button' in front of the trigger guard. It is well enough made, but I have never been able to find out anything specific about the company or who may have brought that particular model into the states or when.

Looking at the pics you've posted, it appears the bbl's. lump is brazed to a pair of forged bbls. Nothing wrong w/that, just saying. Also, that there may be some galling on the action's nose [can't really tell from the pics] & there could be an issue from that. I would test the bbls. for being on face at a minimum and if there is galling present, regardless of whether on face and discount the amount paid accordingly. If found to be off-face, I'd stay away from purchase at any price. Too, I would have a good look at the locks since it is obvious someone has been inside the gun. In summary, it is not a high grade gun & was likely moderately priced when made, in spite of some desirable features like the ejectors & hand detachable locks. Hard to judge Spanish guns from that time period on name alone. Another example of it being utility grade would be looking at the close-up pic of the bbl's. marking; they were struck, but w/o much attention to them being intended to take any high polish. Some Spanish guns of that era are sound work horses while others have had issues. The locks should tell you, assuming gun is on-face. Oh, and drop the firing pins w/a hard block of something against the standing breech, take a look at the noses for wear &/or breakage. They should protrude approx. 1mm for sound firing. Perhaps something of use for you here.

As an aside, Gough Thomas had a lot to say about Spanish guns in some of his works from that time period & it is, IMHO, as unbiased as you will find. You would likely find it enjoyable & informative reading.

Sidelock
Sidelock

You're right on target; proof year 1982. Barrel weight is a little on the light side for much use of 3 inch shells, but the stock looks like it could take it.

Gun appears to have been made for some American retailer.

Armas Ego, like almost all the Spanish artisanal shotgun makers, made guns to every price point at which a demand existed. Your gun appears to be a mid price point gun (roughly like an AyA model 117). Ego did some very fine work, and even produced some top notch double express rifles.

Value, in the sense of what the gun might bring if sold today, is hard to tell. Armas Ego is not a well known name, and most people buy the name rather than the gun. I'd guess (emphasis on "guess") it would bring a minimum of $1200 USD and could go for twice that.

Hope this helps.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Kyrie
You're right on target; proof year 1982. Barrel weight is a little on the light side for much use of 3 inch shells, but the stock looks like it could take it.

Gun appears to have been made for some American retailer.

Armas Ego, like almost all the Spanish artisanal shotgun makers, made guns to every price point at which a demand existed. Your gun appears to be a mid price point gun (roughly like an AyA model 117). Ego did some very fine work, and even produced some top notch double express rifles.

Value, in the sense of what the gun might bring if sold today, is hard to tell. Armas Ego is not a well known name, and most people buy the name rather than the gun. I'd guess (emphasis on "guess") it would bring a minimum of $1200 USD and could go for twice that.

Hope this helps.

Unfortunately, in Canada, the gun being the way it is, I think anywhere near $1200.00 is extremely wishful thinking. Half that is about what will be realized here. Originally, in a discussion, I valued it at being worth roughly somewhere around $800.00 in Canada. But a few things have since been pointed out that I think would make it quite difficult to realize that amount. But, you never know depending on the day.

Last edited by gunsaholic; 04/13/16 04:41 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

FYI, and entirely FWIW, I'm not seeing any mechanical issue with the gun. Even if the barrels were getting a little loose due to wear on the hinge pin, that's easily fixed by rotating the hinge pin 180 degrees.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Comparing the illustrated gun to an AyA 117 for fit and finish?
Sorry, no comparison at all in my opinion.
The gun has the basic features but not the grace.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Saskbooknut
Comparing the illustrated gun to an AyA 117 for fit and finish?
Sorry, no comparison at all in my opinion.
The gun has the basic features but not the grace.

You're certainly welcome to your opinion. I have an AyA 117 and have handled quite a few more, and in my opinion that Ego is the equal in fit and finish of any of the AyA 117s I've had go through my hands.

There is nothing magical about any of the Spanish gun makers. At any given time and price point they have all made pretty much the same gun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Good afternoon. Six hundred US.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Jagermeister
Good afternoon. Six hundred US.

Were that gun come up for auction I'd outbid you :-)

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks to all for the information and comments. It appears that a lesser known gun such as this is hard to peg for quality & value.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.