June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
7 members (Edm1, SKB, FelixD, 3 invisible), 414 guests, and 40 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,574
Posts546,481
Members14,424
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#440196 03/31/16 11:27 AM
bonny Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

When i think of a sidelock i normally think of a gun of excellent quality fit and finish, with all the bells and whistles, made for the creme of shooting sports, eg driven pheasant or grouse shooting.

I was looking at a gun of good quality recently, british made, made around 1900-1910, one of a pair, lovely walnut, great fit and finish, and a non-ejector.

The non-ejector spec puzzled me, as i would have assumed anyone ordering a very expensive pair of guns would naturally have wanted ejectors. By the time the gun was made i would assume ejectors would have lost any reputation they might have had as being "new fangled" or unreliable long since.

Anyone any notions as to why a non-ejector ?

Sidelock
Sidelock

There were many applications of British sidelock shotguns, not just driven bird shooting - and therefor different weights and proportions of guns.
There were sportsman who wanted hammer guns when hammerless became the norm, and no doubt extractors when ejectors became widespread.
Last, there would be a price consideration for not having ejectors.
The British gun market was responsive to any taste and pocketbook.

bonny Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

True saskbooknut, but its a bit like ordering a rolls royce....with cloth seats, if you have the money to buy one, then the extra cost should not be a problem. Also as a pair, i would have thought their main usage would have been driven shooting, and of course standing there while your loader fumbled out empty cartridges in order to reload, seems pointless.

Sidelock
Sidelock

There were also guns for overseas which often had lesser engraving but made to a quality standard.
I guess I'll leave the speculation for some other voices now.
It is pretty hard to be definite a century after the fact.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Same way people order their high grade guns with double triggers. Less to go wrong. Heck, in that era your gun was built (1900 t0 1910) I don't think people were all that convinced about breechloaders let alone a breechloader with ejectors.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Friends I shoot with think its strange that I prefer DT's and extractors. Like you said Treb, less to go wrong. 2 of my guns with ejectors have the springs removed.

Bill

Bill Johnson
Sidelock
Sidelock

Perhaps less to go wrong?
For a rough shooting blue collar guy who had been saving up for a nice gun,a non ejector of fine quality would be just fine...
I see what you mean about being one of a pair though...
Perhaps he had the worlds fastest loader, or perhaps was in no great hurry,lol
I imagine a vintage non ejector should be priced less than the ejector...but would of course depend on the gun..& all things being equal ....fat chance smile
You buying it?
Good luck...post pics if ye do
cheers
franc

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have been studying SLs from William Powell & Son.
Some of their non-ejector sidelock's were pigeon guns.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes- and I own one. You always fire both barrels on box birds, also on columbaire birds- and you have all the time in the world to open the gun, extract the fired hulls, reload, close and call for the next bird. Most of the hammer guns owned by my friends from the Fruitridge Farms Hunting Club are English made, and extractor guns, and of course, two triggers. A Southern gent and fine writer, last name is Nicholson- once said: "Any gun with two barrels should have two triggers" and I agree- 100%-

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Some Birmingham made "sidelocks" were just as rough and ready as as any boxlock .The Rogers as a good example with a two piece lock and coil spring.
First gun I ever stocked was a cheap Williams sidelock non ejector .Quality it was not .

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.