April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Researcher, Ted Schefelbein, SKB, HalfaDouble, 2 invisible), 836 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,831
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

The signature is the initials visible on the wood of the stock between the trigger & magazine openings?

Sidelock
Sidelock

The initial an A centered under an M.
Both Shoemaker and Petrov's Minar have this signature.
Dan.

Sidelock
Sidelock

It will be interesting to see if this one has the same when it arrives.

Sidelock
Sidelock

David, I notice the O'Conner note reads "Sukalle Tucson" and the barrel
reads Sukalle Phoenix. Any thoughts on that?
Maybe a rebarrel at a later date? Dan.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sidelock
Sidelock

O'Connor's own Minar-Sukalle 7x57mm was re-barreled at least once, according to several published accounts. O'Connor says he got rid of it because 139 gr. 7mm bullets left a gap for gases to wear out the barrel's throat. So if he sold it in 1940 because the throat was wearing out and it was becoming inaccurate, the new owner (Alfred Ronstadt, according to Anderson) might well have had it re-barreled yet again.

Last edited by David Zincavage; 03/05/16 10:30 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ya, makes a lot of sense!!! Thank you!
After a second look it appears that Tucson address was penciled in at a later date anyway. Dan.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The Internet is pretty handy. Last night, I found exactly what that missing buttplate looked like.

Phil Shoemaker has Jack O'Connor Sukalle-Minar .30-06, more photos here .

Jack O'Connor's .30-06's Buttplate

How do we know this is the same? Just compare:

O'Connor .30-06 Pistol Grip Cap with trap

Just purchased Sukalle-Minar Pistol Grip cap with trap

PhysDoc Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Great bit of detective work. This is turning out to be one of the best threads in a long time.

Sidelock
Sidelock

More data.

Here's Jack O'Connor describing his 7x57 Mauser Sukalle-Minar:

http://www.gundigest.com/ammunition-reviews-articles/forty-years-little-7mm

I got my first 757 rifle in 1934. I saw it at Bill Sukalles shop in Tucson. Bill had put a 757 barrel on a remodeled action from a World War I German Model 98 Mauser snipers rifle. It had been magnificently stocked in handsome French walnut by Adolph G. Minar of Fountain, Colorado, one of the finest classic stackers [sic] that ever lived. The stock had a German trap buttplate and a trap grip cap. It had as iron sights a Lyman 1-A peep on the cocking piece and a ramp front sight with gold bead. With iron sights, the rifle weighed slightly less than 7 pounds. However, it was equipped with a big German Gerard scope on claw mounts, which outfit added about two pounds. The scope was good optically, but because of the soft mount, it would not hold a constant point of impact. I traded the scope off. However, the rifle with iron sights was an astounding bargain at $75. Thats right-$75! I took off the Lyman 1-A and had a 4x Noske scope put on with the Noske mount. The outfit then weighed less than 8 pounds.

The 757 is loaded all over the world. Here is some of the good RWS (German) ammo.

I shot my first desert ram with that rifle, one of the best Rocky Mountain mule deer I have ever knocked off, and various other game all with the Western factory 139-gr. open point bullet load. With one exception, everything I shot at with a 757 was a one-shot kill. That was a desert mule deer which I shot in one ham as he ran directly away and on which I used two cartridges. Then about 1952, I caught up. Hunting on Idahos Snake River with another 757, I picked out a nice fat doe and took a crack at her. Down the hill she rolled and also a forkhorn buck that had been standing behind her.

Sadly enough, I traded off that lovely little Sukalle-Minar 757, along about 1940, for an equally handsome 2-R Lovell on a Sharps-Borchardt action. Like the 757, it had been barreled by Sukalle and stocked by Minar.

So, his was a Mauser action with a Lyman cocking piece sight. The one on Gun Broker is a Springfield action with regular Lyman aperture sight.

But the two rifles are extremely similar. The must have been built very close together in time. They both have the same furniture otherwise, and the Gun Broker rifle has a written description apparently by Jack O'Connor, giving it some kind of mysterious connection to O'Connor.

Last edited by David Zincavage; 03/06/16 02:35 PM.
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.