April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (smlekid), 1,150 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,841
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

I am only wondering how the effusive compliments regarding Minar's work by the late Michael Petrov can likewise explain what "appears" to be rather sloppy inletting? Just musing!

H

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have yet to see the rifle in question, but I think the photographs may be misleading (angles & shadows) on the inletting front.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Some further information. I spoke to the dealer today. The rifle did not come from the estate of an Alfred Ronstadt. It was consigned by the estate manager for the last of three brothers. They all collected guns for 70 years, and the last survivor inherited the lot. (Apparently something like 600 guns.)

Not long ago the estate manager held a garage sale and sold piles and piles of gun and gunsmithing tools and accessories for derisory prices. The gun shop managed to save the last 10%, and they are looking for that missing buttplate.

They told me that the elderly surviving brother said that this rifle was very special. They are going to put him in touch with me to talk about its provenance.

Sidelock
Sidelock

[quote=David Zincavage ....they are looking for that missing buttplate. [/quote]

I wish you luck on that. I recently bought a rifle from an estate which was fitted with the base for a Griffin & Howe side mount and the base for a Lyman 35 receiver sight.

Although I sent photos of both the top slide of the G&H mount and the slide for the Model 35, at first there was no positive reaction. Eventually the scope and top slide for the G&H turned up, but the heirs insisted that they were not part of the sale price and wanted to be paid, so I reluctantly agreed. However, the price they wanted was less than a new set of G&H rings would cost, so that sweetened the deal considerably. The slide for the Model 35 is still missing.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The grain flow of the stocks don't match. Compare picture #4 with the picture on the second page of the American Rifleman article. Completely different grain flow. Also the gun pictures in the Am Rifleman has a recoil bolt, don't see any evidence of a repair to hide the hole on the Gunbroker pictures.
My .02-
I'd guess the stock on Gunbroker is a Minar (just not O'Connors Minar)and maybe the sloppy inletting is from the original barreled action and floorplate being replaced sometime in it's past.

Sidelock
Sidelock

My intention was not to imply that the .30-06 illustrated in that American Rifleman article was the same gun as the 7x57mm sold recently on Gun Broker. I was just noting the similarity of the pistol grip and its checkering pattern and the similarity of the cheek pieces on both rifles.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Used guns are what they are. I think J.O'connor handled the rifle at some point in the past,knowing what it was, he penciled the note for us. Thanks Jack!
The signature is a close match to an autograph I have.

Sidelock
Sidelock

A pic of Alaska grizzzly bear guide and his SIGNED Minar rifle.
There are more pics on my web site at:
http://www.finegunmaking.com/page32/page46/page46.html

LRF Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Steven, Very nice rifle your friend must be proud.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.