April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (SKB, gasgunner, David Williamson, KDGJ), 409 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,470
Posts545,148
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

I cock one barrel at a time on the bird getting up. I am slower than my friends with their Superposed guns, but seem to get my share of birds. I shoot better with hammer guns on upland birds than my AyA number 2 in 20 gauge.
I have been shooting a Bernardelli Brescia 12 gauge since 1965. There have been quite a few other hammer guns, but the Bernardelli is a keeper, showing lots of loving wear to the finish.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have two hammer guns.

My 1866 Joseph Lang is a non-rebounding hammer gun and I carry it at half-cock. It's a very easy swipe with my thumb to cock both hammers from half to full-cock as I bring the gun to my shoulder. It's my go to gun for quail preserves.

My mid/late 1940's Belgian Pieper 24 gauge hammer gun is a rebounder. I can also cock both hammers with a swipe of my thumb but it requires noticeably more force than my Lang.

With other hammer guns that I've shot I must cock the hammers one at a time. Some men may be able to cock both together but I can't.

Last edited by FlyChamps; 03/16/16 09:55 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've got a bunch of (external) hammer guns and have hunted with most of them. In fact, a couple of them are among my favorites for grouse and woodcock. My hammers are always cocked. The gun's action is either open or closed, depending on the immediate situation. When expecting an imminent flush, dog or no dog, my gun is closed and pointed at the sky. After the flush - or if there was no flush - my gun is open again. When stopping for a break or to chat with someone my gun is open and empty.
My hunting companions seem to be quite comfortable with my method of hunting with hammer guns.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well described DAM,

There are two design flaws in some hammer guns that bear correcting.

One is the mostrous power of the springs. Cowboy action shooters have proven that it is possile to lighten the springs so as to allow cocking BOTH hammers in one easy swipe of the left hand.

Second is the inability in some HG to open the gun with the right hammer at full cock. This too can be corrected.

The hard hammer springs must be a carryover from flintlock days when the hammer was extra heavy, laden with the flint, and had to overcome friction with the frizzen to fire. Modern shotgun primers are not that hard to ignite, evidence of that are the soft springs in autos and pumps, you can cock them with your little finger and they fire OK even though they push much longer and heavier firing pins and springs.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I find the back action lock easier to cock than a bar action lock on my L.C. Smiths.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Shotgunlover

The hard hammer springs must be a carryover from flintlock days when the hammer was extra heavy, laden with the flint, and had to overcome friction with the frizzen to fire.

I would disagree with this point on several levels. First off, since few shotgun manufacturers also built flintlock guns, there would be nothing for them to carry over from flintlock days. Poor design is poor design. Then there is the totally incorrect notion of a flintlock "hammer" or cock being extra heavy. A few may be pretty stout on flintlock military muskets, but not so on most hunting guns. I doubt if any of mine are any heavier than the average percussion or breechloading hammer, including the weight of the flint and leather. They are typically quite graceful. The springs are not mushy, but not overly heavy either. I'd say that speed and inertia is more responsible for kicking the frizzen open than an overly powerful mainspring. Too much mass in the cock is only going to contribute to a slower lock time, and that was largely engineered out of quality flintlocks long before they were replaced by percussion systems. The difference in lock time between a good and properly loaded flintlock and a breechloader is mere milliseconds. If I notice any delay, I know I have done something wrong. When hunting, the gun is brought to full cock as it is brought to the shoulder, just as most here are doing with their hammer guns. Of course, some are easier to cock both hammers at once than others, but that has nothing to do with their flintlock ancestry. Practice and individual technique probably has a lot to do with it too. Personally, I can't imagine much difference in speed or safety by carrying a cocked and open gun, and trying to quickly close it and get it to my shoulder versus smoothly bringing the gun up as you cock one or both hammers.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Boxlock
Boxlock

I hunt with hammer guns a lot and can't imagine walking through thegrouse woods with the action open and hammers cocked! Has to be pretty silly way to carry a gun while hunting.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Shotgunlover

The hard hammer springs must be a carryover from flintlock days when the hammer was extra heavy, laden with the flint, and had to overcome friction with the frizzen to fire. Modern shotgun primers are not that hard to ignite, evidence of that are the soft springs in autos and pumps, you can cock them with your little finger and they fire OK even though they push much longer and heavier firing pins and springs.

As a matter of fact, in a flintlock gun the spring doesn't have to be extra strong - perhaps it was necessary to ensure quick and positive ignition in a shotgun, but ignition in principle could be achieved without much strenth. "Sibirka", an ancient flintlock rifle design made for Siberian fur hunters, featured mainspring made of a long piece of horn - and they worked.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: lvandrie
I hunt with hammer guns a lot and can't imagine walking through thegrouse woods with the action open and hammers cocked! Has to be pretty silly way to carry a gun while hunting.

Not to mention awkward. How would you fight through all that brush and jagger bushes with your gun open and the shells half ways falling out?

And sweeping both hammers back with your thumb? What happens in the middle of a flush and your thumb slips slightly, sweat or whatever, and one hammer doesn't go all the way back to the full cock notch and starts heading back in the opposite direction?

Behind a dog fine but no way without a dog. Just to many things could go wrong.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: treblig1958

And sweeping both hammers back with your thumb? What happens in the middle of a flush and your thumb slips slightly, sweat or whatever, and one hammer doesn't go all the way back to the full cock notch and starts heading back in the opposite direction?

I knew the answer but I just checked to verify - if the hammer slips before full-cock it stops at half-cock - no problem. If your finger isn't on the trigger there is no problem.

And by the way, I have over 5,000 rounds through this 1866 non-rebounder without a single issue.

My Pieper 24 gauge with rebounding hammers is the same - if your finger is not on the trigger the hammer stops in the rebound position without hitting the firing pin.

Even in 1866 they had the technology right and in the 1940's they hadn't forgotten it.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.