March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (SKB), 876 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,015
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

Looking closely at the criss-cross diagonals on the receiver ring, I think that was part of the original engraving. The lines of the large X seem to be the base for the small somewhat triangular stippled areas. In other words, the criss-cross lines appear to have been there before those stippled areas were applied. Even the center punch dot at the center of the X may be part of the original engraving, because there are numerous other punch dots at the front and rear of the receiver ring. If that punch mark was supposed to be a center point for laying out a center line for the scope base screw holes, whoever did it didn't come close. But I believe the intent was decorative. After seeing some recent jobs in the main forum where screw holes in shotgun ribs were plugged and then engraved to match the rib matting, I agree with what Terry said about plugging and engraving.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Flygas, no offense taken. Everyone is entitled to his own opinion.

I've bought two engraving books, trying to figure out whose work it was.
---------------
Terry Buffum,

Thanks for the Larry Peters reference. I was thinking about trying to find somebody like that.

-----------------

Still raining. I need a bright day, because I'm a lousy photographer.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I managed to get the old Sports Afield Gun Annual with the John Jobson article on Minar:

John Jobson 1

John Jobson 2

John Jobson 3

John Jobson 4

John Jobson 5

Please excuse the odd color. My old scanner won't work with the more recent MS OSs. I bought a new one from China, and I'm still very klutzy using it.

The weather is improving. Tell me specifically what you want photographed.

Last edited by David Zincavage; 03/23/16 01:43 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I had not used my camera in a few years, and was rusty today. I took only a couple of photos. One (sort of) came out. Here's the floorplate:

Floorplate

PhysDoc Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for the article and the picture of the floorplate, it looks much
nicer in your picture than it did on the auction website.

Sidelock
Sidelock

My camera, I think, is not working properly. The upperside shots were no good at all. I managed to repair enough of this one of the underside inletting to make it barely tolerable.

Underside Inletting

Compare middle photo on p. 86 of Petrov's first volume.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Here's a comparison of the .257 Minar illustrated by Mike Petrov with the 7x57 Mauser Minar:

Underside inletting compared

There will be some more photos.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Interesting, the only difference seems to be the trigger slot and the raised portion surrounding it, both of which were evidently altered to accomodate the after market trigger.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.