April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (Bob Jurewicz), 277 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,463
Posts545,044
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#437680 03/02/16 10:07 PM
PhysDoc Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I am sure many of you saw this, but I wondered what you
might have thought of it and if anyone has some book or
gun digest or magazine with a picture of it. And no, I didn't
buy it.

Sukalle-Minar?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Good looking gun, aside from the engraving. Nice checkering, great barrel rib, good wood, horrible pad! Why anyone puts a pad on such a light recoiling rifle, I'll never understand. I wonder if the O'Connor note is legitimate or just an attempt to bump the price? O'Connor did own several Sukalle-Minar guns, though this gun is not listed in the Robert Anderson book about him.

Last edited by Flygas; 03/02/16 11:51 PM.

Shane Robinson
Joplin, MO
WJL Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

According to the "Note" the rifle had a "German trap buttplate." Looks like someone later replaced it with that atrocity of a pad. Handsome rifle otherwise but could have done without the engraving.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I like the lines and looks overall, but a lot of the close-up details leave the rifle short IMO.
The wood/metal fit around the action isn't what I'd expect, kinda sloppy especially if someone like O'Connor was excepting of it.

The 4 holes in the front ring aren't comforting but may well be better looking than that engraving. The whole thing has been heavy handed buffed and blued anyway,, rounding details and edges. No telling what hides under the rear sight bridge as far as holes.

"...the bore looks quite good with decent rifling as well as quite shiny..." ,,,just say the bore is in fair condition only and be done with it.

The floor plate & TG engraving kind of looks like the same pattern as the top ring but don't. None should have never been hammered on to the gun.
The bbl address looks amateurish, maybe that's the way it was done by WmS. I don't have anything to compare it to and don't have any real knowledge to say one way or another if it's 'real'.

Grip cap engraving is way different than the rest but maybe the cap came engraved as a feature.
The butt pad, sad to see the 'German Trap Buttplate' gone. But that note,,?? I certainly wouldn't pay extra for that Bic-penned documentation!

I'd certainly stop and look at that rifle had I seen it on a table at a show or on the rack in a shop. Maybe in person it would lull me in to taking her home with me for the sold price. But just from what I can see, I'd have to do a bit of back and forth for a better price.

Just some observations over AM coffee.

Sidelock
Sidelock

william Sukalle was a barrel maker. Someone else (several of them in this case) did the rest of the work on "his" rifles. The barrel marking is likely his work; he did roll mark his Phoenix made barrels. I had a Winchester 54 with 7mm Rem Mag barrel by him with the caliber marking done with single stamps and on which Magnum was misspelled.

I suspect he bought the ribbed barrel blank on the subject rifle, possibly bored or rebored and rifled it. Perhaps installed it, but someone else almost certainly did the engraving and Minar may have done the stock,but as Kutter said, inletting does not seem up to his work.

I bought several handguns and rifles from him in 1964,after he was out of the barrel making business and retired as a hunter and target shooter. His wood working was crude and everything was "clunky", perhaps to fit his large hands.

LRF Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
replaced it with that atrocity of a pad

WJL, I enjoy your most accurate use of the english language in describing the pad

Sidelock
Sidelock

I bought this one.

Compare the checkering pattern on the pistol grip and the cheekpiece with those in photographs of the same in: Bob Hills, "O'Connor's Other Rifle," American Rifleman, April 1980, pp. 44-45, 80.

Dimmer, harder to make out photos of the same O'Connor .30-06 are on p.86 of Michael Petrov's first volume.

There can't be any doubt. This stock is by Adolph Minar and the barrel is by Bill Sukalle. I don't know who did the engraving.

This rifle came from an estate collection which had a bunch of very nice high-end guns. That little piece of paper doesn't prove it was Jack O'Connor's, but there were only 36 rifles stocked by Minar and O'Connor did own one with a Sukalle barrel chambered in 7x57. (See "The Rifle Book" p. 217.)

Last edited by David Zincavage; 03/03/16 08:32 PM.
PhysDoc Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Congratulations on your acquisition, I hope that you will keep us updated and post some pictures when you get it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

[quote=David Zincavage]

That little piece of paper doesn't prove it was Jack O'Connor's, but there were only 36 rifles stocked by Minar and O'Connor did own one with a Sukalle barrel chambered in 7x57. (See "The Rifle Book" p. 217.)

True. But according to the Robert Anderson book, the 7x57 O'Connor owned was a Mauser action rifle.

Shane Robinson
Joplin, MO
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've been reading the Anderson book. I'm waiting for the rifle to arrive to compare the barrel length and weight of the rifle to his description.

Anderson's account of the sight situation is also incompatible with the Gun Broker rifle. O'Connor's Minar-Sukalle had:

"claw mounts with a German Girard scope and a Lyman 1A peep on the cocking piece and a ramp-mounted gold-bead front sight."

This one has, of those, only a ramp-mounted gold-bead front sight.

Sukalle, Anderson says, replaced the barrel once, and (cheery thought) in "The Rifle Book," p. 217, O'Connor says he got rid of the rifle because 139 gr. loads were wearing out the barrel's throat.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.