March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Ken Nelson, SKB, skeettx, LRF, Lawrence Kotchek, Karl Graebner), 875 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: treblig1958
What about CJO? He's in Canada he'll be able to make it right.

David, I was over to see CJO late last fall. He is not taking on new work (for the time being). Not sure what his long term plans are but he's not a solution right now.

I am convinced Stelios at SCG (now in Keswick) could handle any and all of the work and leave you very impressed but he is slow. Stelios can do it all but he is especially good at metal fabricating (for the Ideal).

Chris (Newf on this board) will do excellent wood work I am sure. Have not used him yet for anything else.

I would also consider Eddie von Atzigen (think I got that right) in Peterborough. PM if you want to discuss more options in Canada or you need contact info. What Kody did is a shame. Those both should be beautiful guns. At least I hope you paid him before the dollar really tanked.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Tamid Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks Canvasback,

I have heard of Stelios but not used him and I have used Chris. He fixed up a very poorly fitted new stock on an A&N. A botched job but there was lots of wood left and he was able to work with it and did an excellent job. He also rechecked a flat top and refinished the stock for a Scott hammer gun. Chris will definitely do a lot more work for me.

i did have Newby look at the Ideal and he can fit a new piece and I would use Frank in Calgary to do any engaging work. But again it is the economics of the guns that will prevent me from doing anything for a while.

I don't know CJO. What is his full name?

Last edited by Tamid; 02/27/16 07:52 PM.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

David, CJO is his name on this board. Look up some of the threads he has started of his work. He is phenomenal. But he is not full time. He has a full time real job. Gun smithing is a hobby for him. But I would say his work can stand with anyone, anywhere. I feel fortunate to live close enough and know him well enough to drop by occasionally and see what he is working on. A masters course in the finest guns ever made.

I am sympathetic to the money pit problem. What to do now as there is already too much into the guns? Wish I had a sensible answer for you but I don't.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: canvasback
David, CJO is his name on this board. Look up some of the threads he has started of his work. He is phenomenal. But he is not full time. He has a full time real job. Gun smithing is a hobby for him. But I would say his work can stand with anyone, anywhere. I feel fortunate to live close enough and know him well enough to drop by occasionally and see what he is working on. A masters course in the finest guns ever made.

I am sympathetic to the money pit problem. What to do now as there is already too much into the guns? Wish I had a sensible answer for you but I don't.

CJO must be one of those guys that no matter what he tries he excels at it.

CJO Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

not quite

Last edited by CJO; 03/02/16 11:33 AM.

The taste of poor quality lingers long after the cheap price is forgotten.........
Sidelock
Sidelock

A the founder of Namerology, I can assure you that you would have been well advised to have never trusted those who name their kids with all the same letter. Nor should you trust ANYONE named Koby who is over the age of 3.

Sidelock
Sidelock

We have seen similar problems with other "gunsmiths" that bill themselves as capable of the "finest work." In the U. S. you can hang out your shingle without having to pass any kind of competency test and/or serve an apprentice ship.There should be some sort of vetting process for people who wish to perform restorative/manufacturing services on firearms and other high value things.

tut Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: RHD45
We have seen similar problems with other "gunsmiths" that bill themselves as capable of the "finest work." In the U. S. you can hang out your shingle without having to pass any kind of competency test and/or serve an apprentice ship.There should be some sort of vetting process for people who wish to perform restorative/manufacturing services on firearms and other high value things.

Goodness that's the truth. Many many years ago I had a nice german guild gun in 16 gauge with swivels and cheekpiece that I decided both needed to be removed and the holes in the rib and buttstock plugged. Took to a local fellow who had done some restoration work for others who seemed satisfied.

Long story short is he did a horrible job in so many areas it pains me still to think about it now. First off, he plugged the swivel holes in the bottom of the barrel rib with nails that he cut the ends off of. He then forgot he has left the barrels in the sweat box with the rust blueing solution applied and they pitted on the outside. He rust blued over the pitting. The buttstock escutcheon to plug the swivel hole in the buttstock was horribly fit as well.

I complained bitterly, but to no avail. He thought he had done a fine job overall. Said the barrel's were pitted before I gave them to him and said I hadn't told him to strike them prior to rust blueing so I had to live with the pitting. As I said, that was long long ago and I believe he is now retired.

Last edited by tut; 02/28/16 11:43 AM.

foxes rule
Sidelock
Sidelock

The problem with 'vetting' is twofold:

1) In order for someone to judge or otherwise assess the quality of work, you would need to find someone who understands what good work is, and isn't. That's getting harder to find as time goes on...and even if you did find a person, or people, to be the judges - who judges the judges?

2) The other fallback would be for the government to establish a licensing process for gunsmiths. Who among us thinks that would turn into anything other than a train wreck and an excuse for the government to collect more fees and taxes?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Have the guys at the gunsmith guild, I don't recall the exact name, be the ones to set up and put in motion a way to control who gets to call themselves a stocker,engraver or repairer/modifier of firearms.If you didn't have a certificate of competency you don't get to call your self a journeyman in whatever field.I think we can all agree that someone like SDH could pass judgement on what is and what is not good work. Around here it's "plumbers" who have run amok. They lowered the standards on the test and now it's either hire one of the big names or take your chances.

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.