April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (NCTarheel, Ian Forrester, ClapperZapper), 743 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,481
Posts545,240
Members14,410
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

That is sad to hear. Keith did a good job of browning the barrels of a Scott gun for me some 12 or so years ago. A moron in Birmingham colored them what I can only describe as mustard. Not a pretty sight.

DDA

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: swoobie
I can't get over the checkering... Nearly brought tears to my eyes

Yes, the checkering was simply awful. I wondered if Tamid threw up when he saw it. I've seen a few amateur jobs that looked like they were scratched into a stock with a sharp nail, but they didn't cost what these abominations cost. Some of the lines in the grip of the Manufrance R1 look like they have gone at least 7 lines off course. Little Stevie Wonder could do a better job.

How could even a CJO or a Dewey Vicknair repair something like that? Even men with their talents can't put back wood that has been filed away. So they would have to sand the stocks down below surrounding metal in order to start over.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Terrible job for sure....I talked with the guy several years ago and he assured me he could repair ribs without talking them off the the gun.

I wasn't looking for a back yard gun butcher so I looked else where.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: keith
Originally Posted By: swoobie
I can't get over the checkering... Nearly brought tears to my eyes

Yes, the checkering was simply awful. I wondered if Tamid threw up when he saw it. I've seen a few amateur jobs that looked like they were scratched into a stock with a sharp nail, but they didn't cost what these abominations cost. Some of the lines in the grip of the Manufrance R1 look like they have gone at least 7 lines off course. Little Stevie Wonder could do a better job.

How could even a CJO or a Dewey Vicknair repair something like that? Even men with their talents can't put back wood that has been filed away. So they would have to sand the stocks down below surrounding metal in order to start over.

Good point Keith. I would as least call them to see if anything can be done.

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've had Mark Larson "create" wood where a small chunk was missing in a shattered stock repair and match up checkering.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I had a sinking feeling while reading the text. When I got to the pictures nausea set in. So sorry for your misfortune!

Dodging lions and wasting time.....
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks for sharing your very sad experience. It is enough to make a feller sick. Your warning has probably saved more than a few guns from the hands of a hack.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Who are the "goto" gunsmiths in the US for browning damascus barrels in the correct English finish for English double rifles or shotguns? Thanks!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: GaryD007
Who are the "goto" gunsmiths in the US for browning damascus barrels in the correct English finish for English double rifles or shotguns? Thanks!

I know that Kirk Merrington does browning of english damascus barrels, though I have never used him for that. I have used Kirk for other work and I could not be more pleased. Kirk once inspected a gun for me and let me know that it needed restocking and was off face to boot. Had the seller disclosed those issues I never would have considered the gun. In fact the pictures were taken very carefully to conceal the need of restocking. I saw the dealer at the Southern some months later and during the conversation the issue of the need for restocking on that particular gun came up - his reply "well don't they all" in regard to restocking.

So sorry about the original posters issues with the "restoration job." It does look pitiful. So bad in fact it makes me wonder if who supposedly did the work and sent the gun back to the OP was playing with a full deck.

Its boondoggles like this that keep a lot of folks like myself on the sidelines in regard to wanting to fool with project guns.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I would think it would be possible to fill the checkering with epoxy and wood dust and re-checker some areas.

-Leverhead
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.