April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Lloyd3, Ken Nelson, Jeremy Pearce, KY Jon, SKB, buckstix), 815 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,444
Posts544,814
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Summertime humidity in the south is a constant plague. I use bags of desiccant in the safe but still see surface flashing on guns more regularly than I care to. I considered taking a few guns I don't shoot so often and giving them a typical light patch of oil wipe and then vacuum sealing them with a food sealer before tucking them back in the safe. Thoughts? Am I nuts ?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Never thought of that. Sounds like it might work if you have dessecant packs in there, otherwise any humidity that gets trapped in the bag with still rust the guns.

What about using a quality oil and re oil it once a month maybe?

NRA Patron Life Member
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I'd be happy with oil suggestions. I use hoppes gun oil , Lucas oils gun oil, remoil, outers. They all seem about the same to me. Certainly if I was oiling once a month id be ok, I find it hard to commit

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'd be concerned with some sort of reaction with the metal and vacuum bag material. I've read accounts of bubble wrap leaving a film on gun barrels and wouldn't rule out the same with the bag material. If you pursue that route, I would dig deeper into the issue. A good HVAC system in the house does wonders for lowering the humidy here in coastral Georgia. Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

Try Ballistol.

Last edited by DAM16SXS; 02/23/16 08:12 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

It's humid as it gets here and I've never experienced any rust problem in either of my gun safes....on the other hand a buddy of mine had his in a bedroom next to a bathroom door and he had a serious rust problem. He put in a Golden Rod and it fixed his problem.

For a protectant I use Ezzox...

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a gun safe in an area with no HVAC, in the Coastal Plain of Georgia. I put a Goldenrod in it when I got it, wipe my guns down lightly with any old decent gun oil, and have never seen even a dusting of rust in many years. If, however, I leave them out of the safe in that area, bets are off. They will almost rust as you watch.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'd try Gunzilla, it's made here in Michigan. I've run it on my 3 gun competition guns for several years now, it has seemed to last longer on them and my otherguns longer then hoppes or Rem oil that iI've used in the past. I oil up my deer rifle at the end of November, and the next fall it's still has a nice film on it. And it's available on Amazon

NRA Patron Life Member
Sidelock
Sidelock

My go to for long term storage is Birchwood Casey's Barricade. Whatever you use make sure it is specifically made for rust prevention, not all oils are.

“I left long before daylight, alone but not lonely.”~Gordon Macquarrie
Boxlock
Boxlock

Some people like Ford, Some Chevy and some Dodge. When I have to use a rust preventative I use CLP (cleaner, lubricant, preservative)made by Break Free. This is the rust preventative used by the Army. It was used on items that were stored in less than perfect conditions like barrels on tanks stored outside with no problems.
After the WWII M1 rifles were stored in sealed drums with a light coat of oil and a desiccant for long term storage. I believe that this procedure worked.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.