April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (ithaca1, eeb, Jim H., Jtplumb, buckstix, 1 invisible), 989 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,475
Posts545,172
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#436648 02/22/16 05:06 PM
Mark II Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

What are some of your favorite lesser known English, Irish, Scottish makers who you feel deserve more recognition than they have gotten. Thanks, Mark

Sidelock
Sidelock

Docter, Minox, both German....oh I suppose you mean guns don't you??......

gunut
Sidelock
Sidelock

Charles Smith Newark upon Trent
Thomas Horsley York
W. Griffiths Manchester
C.S. Rosson

These are a few of my favorites

Sidelock
Sidelock

Pape, William Richards, Durs Egg.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think you have to define 'lesser-known'! One could say that Purdey, Boss, H&H and Woodward are the best known, that the likes of Beesley, Westley Richards, Hussey, Atkin, Lancaster, Churchill etc are well known. So we are perhaps looking more at the provincial makers as being lesser known. In fact, this reflects Rocketman's grading system to a large extent.

My personal favourites would include:

John Harper
John Ross
Edwinson Green
Henry Clarke

Tim

al Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have been interested in the lesser known British names for some time as I believe that in quality for the money they represent the best value on the double gun market today - Holloway & Naughton, C. S. Rosson, Adsett, Gow, etc. It is difficult to determine which were actually gunmakers and which marketed guns under their name but made by others. Is there any definitive publication that answers this question? I have Boothroyd's book on British gunmakers but his descriptions are generally limited to location and years in business.

Sidelock
Sidelock

James Calderwood Dublin Ireland.

I have a fantastic percussion gun by James Calderwood and its just a beautiful gun in its balance, handling and finish, i have only seen one other gun by the maker and it was much later period gun but equally beautiful in every respect to which we pass judgement on beautiful guns.

If anyone knows of any other guns by the maker i would love to hear about them if they exist they do so in collections or museums where they are not easily examined.

Some book i read years ago suggested he was a maker on a similar level to manton in terms of what he did to transform guns from functional military hardware somewhat adapted for sport to items of real beauty and craftsmanship.

I may be completely wrong in all of this but its just what i have picked up over time.

Lot number 641 here
http://www.scotarms.co.uk/catalogues/684.htm

and the later one in the pantiles gun room Calderwood and son.

which if i had it i would happy part with the wanted sum for.

Not to be confused with the other calderwood operating in the US? possible relation? I don't know - Some US William Calderwood long rifles have Warrented Manton locks and have styling and engraving more like we would see on British guns as apposed to the carvings of a fine american maker, probably just nicely finished guns from the trade in the UK i don't know.. i am not an expert on by any stretch. Just my thoughts.

Last edited by Demonwolf444; 02/23/16 10:33 AM.
SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Harkom

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mortimer, Alex Martin

Sidelock
Sidelock

Skimin & Wood, Thomas Turner

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.