April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (Argo44, skeettx, Tim in PA), 362 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,443
Posts544,800
Members14,405
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
james-l Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Back to double guns, here are the photos of my CharlesLancaster I recentlywon at auction,it was fairly cheap because the seller listed it as a J. Gibson, it was made in 1887 according to the information I have found. It actually has survived in good condition with the exception of the Bubba underlever, damage to the right lock plate and a few messed up screw heads. I would like to see a photo of an original underlever to copy. I don't think the gun has been used much as the is no cartridge imprint on the standing breech, the bore are .732 and near perfect, has .020 choke in left barrel. The finish appears to be original. More photos are at http://s36.photobucket.com/user/james-l/library/Charles%20Lancaster?sort=4&page=1

I learn something every day, and a lot of times it's that what I learned the day before was wrong

Sidelock
Sidelock

Nice find.

Sidelock
Sidelock

nice looking gun....should clean up nice....

gunut
Sidelock
Sidelock

Aww, now I am all jelly arse.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The engraving on the top of the receiver and tang is very close to my side cocker Lancaster made 9 years earlier (1878).

Rich
Sidelock
Sidelock

"James-I," your newly purchased Charles Lancaster gun is a great find, so I extend my heartiest congratulations to you, as well as to the Lancaster itself for attracting a sympathetic and sensible buyer, who is willing to restore it to former glory and usefulness. The extensive, well-cut engraving and original wood quality are marvelous bonuses.

This Lancaster is clearly a first-quality gun, and was made by a gunmaker renowned for the workmanship and quality of its productions, which attributes are displayed in your photographs. I believe that Charles Lancaster was particularly famous for its barrel quality and many innovative inventions (Lancaster oval bore rifling, four-barrel guns, etc.).

A discerning eye is needed to look beyond and see under the dirt, grime and minor repairs necessary (replacing and re-engraving screws or pins, etc.) to the quality and hidden beauty languishing beneath, which is an ability to be admired. It is doubly admirable that you have rescued and also intend to restore a sterling example of nineteenth century craftsmanship and the gunmaker's art, all things that need to be preserved, conserved, even example by example, in my opinion, and eventually passed on to future generations to equally appreciate.

Once the gun's restoration is completed, it will be returned to its earlier magnificence and functionality. I then hope that you will have the opportunity and inclination to use the gun afield and / or at the range. I take all of my antique guns afield and to the gun club, just as the original owners enjoyed using them, while exhibiting their discriminating taste for and enviable choices of very fine guns.

The shape of the gun's underlever, as you have said, has been damaged by egregious amateur assault, yet can be fully restored. Your question is how was it shaped originally. Below are two photographs, the first of a Woodward hammer-gun (Actually, the hammerless under-lever guns by this maker look more similar to yours, and perhaps would be the better paradigm; but I could not locate one for use here.), which is closer to the underlever shown for your gun than is the succeeding Lancaster gun shown with its thicker push-forward underlever. The contouring around the respective trigger-guards is basically the same, however. Both should provide a close approximation of originality to enable yours to be reformed or for the damaged portion to be replaced altogether.

Woodward, serial number 3519:

Lancaster, serial number 4923:

I have found a slightly different completion date for your Charles Lancaster gun, bearing serial number 5789. The end-of-year serial number for 1888 and those for the two preceding years are shown immediately below. Accordingly, the subject gun was completed in early 1888.

1886 - last serial number for the year: 5627
1887 - last serial number for the year: 5764
1888 - last serial number for the year: 5926

Again, congratulations, and I wish you every success in restoring this gun and in future when afield or before the traps with your beautiful Charles Lancaster gun.

Regards,

Edwardian

Sidelock
Sidelock

James I can't add anything more to what's been said other than that is a beautiful piece of wood and iron ,gorgeous lines

Sidelock
Sidelock

James,

you can email the current owners of the Lancster records and she will provide, at least in brief, some details. they can also provide a letter but are relativley slow in sending them across the pond. Congrats on the find and best of luck on the restoration.

john

james-l Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Anyone have contact info for Charles Lancaster records?

I learn something every day, and a lot of times it's that what I learned the day before was wrong

Sidelock
Sidelock

When my gun was checked in 2004 the holder of Lancaster records was:

Mrs. M. Mitchell
19 Portman Crescent
South Bourne, Bournsmouth, BH5 2ER

I wonder if the under lever/cocking lever is a replacement. The rest of the gun is so well engraved and fitted, that the lever seems out of place.

Good luck with your search. I have phone numbers (ca 2004), but understand that a letter is best.

Joe

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.