March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (eeb, jcn, DaveB, Lloyd3, ksauers1, 1 invisible), 871 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,017
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Yank132 Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Could a break action _ (say a Valmet 412S) in .30-06 be converted to use .30R Blaser brass?

As the .30R Blaser brass is slightly larger/longer than the .30-06 brass, this conversion looks to be dimensionally feasible.

However, the extractor appears (to my non-gunsmith trained mind) a more difficult issue to resolve.

I assume that as the .30-06 is a rimless cartridge, the extractors have a sprung detent that engages the case cannelure.

As the .30R Blaser is a rimmed cartridge the extractor would have to be reworked (or a custom extractor made and fitted).

And perhaps the extractor could also be converted to an ejector (some Valmet 412S double rifles came with ejectors).

Do any forum members know of anyone who has undertaken such modifications to a rimless break action gun?

Might any forum member know of a gunsmith who would be able to undertake such a conversion?

Many thanks to any forum member who takes the time to respond to this post.

P.S.
As I have never used a break action rifle with a rimless cartridge, perhaps my concern regarding the .30-06 is misplaced, but all the comments I’ve read regarding reloading rimless cartridges in break action guns (especially in cold weather while wearing gloves) have been negative. As these comments are from people with MUCH more experience with break action guns than I have, I assume that these individuals know of what they speak, and that I should head their comments and observations.

Am I worrying about a non-issue, or would quickly reloading a break action .30-06 in cold weather wearing gloves be problematic?

Sidelock
Sidelock

If you reload it´s cheaper to do .30-06 rimmed i.e. convert 7x65R shells to .30-06 dimensions. I have heard some people have done this just for same reason as you would do with .30R Blaser. By the way, VALMET 412 has been made with ejector for rimmed caliber so this conversion wouldn´t be any problem.

Last edited by Igorrock; 10/07/15 11:14 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

You could talk to Champlain Arms in Enid, OK

While i believe it possible, i would recommend you selling it and buying one in the cartridge you want. Conversions are usually for odd obsolete cartridges, not for popular cartridges as 30.06

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hello Yank132
Welcome on your first posting
Pleased to have you here.

Unless you are hunting Dangerous game, your fears are unfounded.

You will not be using dirty or corroded ammo, you ammo will be factory or full length sized reloaded and tried in the gun BEFORE you go hunting.

So all should be well as is.

My opinion.

Again, welcome
Mike

p.s. follow on question, why only consider a break open single shot? If you wish to shoot a single cartridge at a time, use a good quality bolt action, throw one in the chamber and close the bolt, shoot and so on and so on

Last edited by skeettx; 10/08/15 11:28 AM.

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
Sidelock

The answer to the basic question is- Yes it can be done ( the rim recess can likely be cut into the existing extractor, after removing the plunger). Several people questioned the need to do this though. If you want a 30R Blazer and have a tip up in 30-06, of a make that is not available in 30R Blazer, it makes sense to make the conversion rather than pay the several thousand dollars for a rifle available in 30R Blazer. This is especially so if you already have several other 30-06s.This assumes a single barrel, to avoid "regulating" problems.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yank:

Before you go to the trouble, I'll note that I have a 1920s German double rifle in .250-3000, which is a rimless cartridge, with an extractor similar to that which you've described. I've put several hundred rounds (both factory and handloads) through it and never once had a failure to extract.

Unless you're planning on using the Valmet on dangerous game, I'd leave it alone, buy and shoot a bunch of .30-06 ammo through it and enjoy it.

Rem

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have owned several Valmet 412s in rimless caliber and they do not extract well. I have 9.3X74R DR barrel set and a combo gun in 7X65R. it works much better on rimmed cases. You could get an extractor for a .223 and open it up to accept the case rim after recutting the rim rebate. Incidentally, the 30R Blaser was developed to rechamber drillings chambered in .30/06 that don't extract well.

Last edited by Vol423; 01/15/16 09:49 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

When I ordered a double rifle from Krieghoff in 1970, it was a Trumpf, a boxlock O/U model with ejectors. At the time, no rimmed classic African cartridges were being manufactured, so I decided on .458 Winchester Magnum, with a second barrel set in .375 H&H.

I received the rifle shortly before my first African hunt, and was dismayed to discover that the .375 H&H barrels defied the extractor, and fired cartridge cases had to be tapped out through the muzzle, not an easy job. As I was planning on being in Germany for several weeks prior to my African trip, I decided to deliver the rifle back to Krieghoff in person. I don't know to this day what they did to it, but it extracted and ejected flawlessly afterwards.

However, it left me convinced that rimmed cartridges were the only way to go with a double rifle, and since .375 H&H Magnum Flanged had become available through Bell, I designed a cartridge which was basically the .450 Watts with a rim. I had a reamer made up for it, had a barrel fitted to a Ruger No. 1 action and chambered with it, and proceeded to fire-form and test the cartridge. As soon as I was satisfied with the performance I was getting, basically .450 NE velocity with a 500 grain bullet, I loaded up a 50 round box of ammunition and sent it and the reamer to Krieghoff with instructions to build a double rifle around it. This they proceeded to do, and in due course, I received it. It has performed fully up to expectations.

I continued to use the original rifle, but only once each on elephant and buffalo (the .458). I eventually took lion and leopard with the .375 H&H barrel pair, but only after it had performed flawlessly on plains game and in practice at home. Most of my thick skin DG shooting was with a bolt gun with a cartridge, also designed by me, called the .505 SRE, which duplicated the performance of the .500 Nitro Express.

Interestingly enough, even when I was having the problem with stuck cases in the .375 H&H, the rimless extractor never failed. In fact, the extractor threatened to bend before the spring loaded portion of the extractor gave way.

I see no particular problem with a .30-'06 double rifle, provided you don't plan to use it for dangerous game, but for DG, give me a rimmed cartridge in a double rifle every time.

Here I am with the Krieghoff and a 94 pound single tusker taken on the last day of a five week hunt in Kenya:

Last edited by xausa; 01/17/16 02:23 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.