April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (Longknife, ClapperZapper, CJ Dawe), 1,303 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,144
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The other side

Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe

Originally Posted By: Doverham
plus replaceable hinge pin.

Not from what I'm seeing.

Strike two.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Looks like a fake screw to me.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

jOe - thank you for your thoughtful and no doubt well-intended opinion on this point. But given a choice, I will stick with what the maker has told me based on a review of their records as opposed to your review of a computer image.

No offense intended, of course . . . .

Sidelock
Sidelock

Doverham,

A gentlemanly reply to Joe's post.

It appears that "Webley Screw Grip" is an often misused
term for any action having 3rd bite using a straight extension locking off the top lever or spindle)& we have determined what features define a true Webley Screw Grip. There are plenty of misused terms in gun descriptions being thrown about (like POW grip) by people who should know better so it's nothing to get upset about as we are all trying to learn something here.

To conclude a very useful thread could someone please comment on the following questions I've asked before.

1. What is the correct term for the type of 3rd bite used on the Gallyon marketed AA Brown built gun featured in this thread?

2. Who besides AA Brown used this type of 3rd bite for their heavy proof guns? Pictures of the 3EP & 4EP guns built by Wrights for the trade appear to use the same type of 3rd bite & the entire action appears to be the same or similar except fot the shaping of the fences. Were these actions commonly available to those who built guns for the trade such as Browns, Wrights & Midland or were they produced individually from commonly available forgings?

I find the Birmingham gun trade both interesting and confusing.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I do not believe I have ever heard it called any thing else other than a third bite . Many makers used this method and as many of the smaller firms bought their actions from machinists such a Joseph Asbury ,the famous "JA" seen on so many gun actions and barrels it was a fairly standard feature on guns with a Scott spindle . An adaptation for guns with cam lever where the the lever had an extended finger as it would with across bolt but much heavier engaging in a slot. There was also a variation like the "hidden" third bite that employed a smaller extension with a sliding wedge also engaging in a slot in the extension this being operated by a peg connecting it to the top lever .

gunman #432779 01/14/16 08:46 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

So, after a very long stay with a stocker, I finally got this gun back. I had the fore-end converted from SFE to SBTFE, and am very happy with how it came out. It is much longer but not too bulky. The metal tip was replaced with horn. The pistol grip was replaced with Woodward style grip with a grip cap. The leather pad may be the best I have seen.

It was an adventure getting this project done, but I am very happy with the final result (proof is in the eating - it shoots very well). Sorry for the crappy iPhone photos.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Holy smokes!!! What a great job. Was it restocked here or in England?

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks - I had it restocked over here, by a board member who shall remain unidentified - that was part of our "deal"

Last edited by Doverham; 01/14/16 09:18 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

As there is only a few that can do that level of work, I know who restocked it or should I say I think I know.

Is it still destined for some goose blind or is it your dedicated sporting clays gun? smile

Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.