May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (Jusanothajoe, CJF, L. Brown), 328 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,531
Posts545,926
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Have you tried putting a thin rod/pin in the hole?.does it bottom out on something?, could it be like an auto safety deactivator?
Ooops, I see you dont have the Gun yet..it looks pretty nice, what is it?,
keep us posted
cheers
franc

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Joe Wood
Could it have been for the stub on the top lever spring?

It is in about the right location for that, I think that Joe is right. Not sure why it goes all the way thru to the top, though...

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

hello Franc Otte,
I have emailed to you some more pics and info.

cheers

mrwmartin

NA
Sidelock
Sidelock

Odd one that . and I have no definite answer but wager it has something to do with the top lever spring . Only real way to find out is to drop the stock off .
Theory , Top lever spring stud hole drilled to deep and has broken through on polishing , engraver knowing no better engraved around it .

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hello gunman,
Interesting theory. I have been hoping yourself or others with experience would provide a definitive answer.
Thanks for input,

cheers

mrwmartin

NA
Sidelock
Sidelock

The hole is most likely either the peg hole for the toplever spring (near enough correct position) or a pin hole for a retainer/guide pin from the safety pushrod which is often pinned to the underside of the top strap.
Usually these are blind holes but I have seen several guns over the years with through holes and the pin sitting flush with the external surface of the metal.
It is not an oil hole! Whatever you do, do not squirt oil into any hole or crevice in your British shotgun, it will ruin the wood.
If it is either of the holes as I describe above, it shows that the original pin has backed out of its hole which is not a good thing but maybe not catastrophic. Only a strip down will show.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hello Toby,
Yes, your ideas sound feasible and if I purchase the gun I will get it looked into. The last thing i need is another moneypit! I am well aware of the oil dangers but it doesnt do any harm to repeat the message. I hope to inspect the gun in the flesh fairly soon.
Thanks for the suggestions and input.
cheers

mrwmartin

NA
Sidelock
Sidelock

I would think that a toplever spring in that particular location would interfere with the safety pushrod which is typically found directly under the topstrap. Also, if it was a peg hole for the toplever spring, one leg of the spring would bear upon the underside of the toplever, and the other leg would also have to bear against something in order to create spring tension to return the toplever to center. What would there be in this location to bear against besides wood? While I certainly haven't seen every shotgun action design in the world, I would be very surprised if this hole had anything to do with a toplever spring. I also agree that it is not an oil hole.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hello Keith,
Thank you for the informative post offering a different insight.If we are to eliminate top lever spring where does that lead us?
cheers

mrwmartin

NA
Sidelock
Sidelock

I tend to think it has something to do with the safety pushrod. I mentioned earlier that I thought it could have something to do with a means of deactivating the safety. Toby Barclay also mentioned the possibility of this being a pin hole for a safety pushrod retainer/guidepin, and that makes sense to me. But I can't imagine why it would not be a blind hole if that was the case. I'd think if it was inadvertently drilled clear through, the maker would have simply welded it closed and tried again, rather than leave a glaring mistake on the topstrap. Again, I could be 100% wrong, and have not seen every shotgun's innards to say for sure. Do you know what make it is?

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.