May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
8 members (eeb, Hammergun, Hal M Hare, 3 invisible), 743 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,506
Posts545,610
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

A number, .0??". I just want to know exactly how many points of constriction I have in my guns. I want to be able to measure the choke in a potential purchase, and I want to be able to describe it accurately if I decide to sell. I have already patterned the guns, and know what they throw. I like to know what I've got in the gun, then I can see by patterning if it the patterns are consistent with the constriction.

I have patterned many guns in my life ........ on plates, on paper, on the side of abandoned cinder block buildings, even on the doors of junked cars. I like a grease plate the best. I used to think it important to save the patterns, so I used paper. No more. If it's important enough to save I snap a digital pic of it. I have also chronographed many loads. One interesting thing is how close the velocity always was to published load data, and to the velocity printed on the box of factory loads.

SRH

Last edited by Stan; 12/20/15 07:53 AM.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stan
I have also chronographed many loads. One interesting thing is how close the velocity always was to published load data, and to the velocity printed on the box of factory loads. SRH

That's for sure. There are as many measured velocity contradictions (vs factory specs) as you will see with actual constrictions vs what's stamped on the barrel. 3" .410 shells are exhibit A - all over the place.

Sidelock
Sidelock

You can't have too much data. The old line of "patterns are all that matter" falls short when buying and selling. If there is little choke, and the gun throws a tight pattern with someone else's pet skeet load, it may or may not be acceptably tight for a hunting load.

CHOKE MATTERS.

I can work with metal that is there. If it isn't there, you are limited in what can be done to tighten patterns. How many of you would buy a gun for pass shooting geese that wasn't tightly choked, but the owner said "my pet load is incredible in this gun for geese at great distances"?

Like Stan, I want to know what I have and what I'm buying.

The line about patterning and not worrying about choke has been parroted so many times, people have lost touch with reality. There actually is a direct correlation between choke and pattern with a given load.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Well said, Chuck. Thank you.

SRH

Sidelock
Sidelock

You are very right about needing to know what constriction a gun has. A lot of guns have had choke work, both good and bad, done to them over the years. I had to have a few gun back bored behind the chokes to try to get some choke back into a gun someone else reamed out.

Saddest case was a mint condition high grade Smith 32" barrels, 3" chambers some previous owner had opened to cylinder and cylinder to shoot steel shot in. It went from a great waterfowl to a collector closet queen. The patterns were just awful. I sent it down the road. Not enough metal for thin walls, not enough metal to back bore a little choke into it. And when I start thinking about thin walls in a high grade double I am desperate. Had I know how and had the tools to measure it I never would have bought it in the first place. From that one gun I learned how and why I need to measure things better

JNW Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have the CSP set for 5 gauges - 12 through .410. I have found several .410s that were choked so tight I could not get the bore gauge in them. I measure the bore from the chamber end in as far as I can, about 17", and then ASSUME that the bore diameter is the same all the way to the choke. Then I measure the diameter of the choke with a dial caliper. This does not allow me to measure the length of the choke or its profile. Not perfect, but close. These barrels that the gauge would not fit in all had over 0.020" of choke when measured indirectly as above and threw very tight patterns with small shot (8s and 9s). Not so good with #6 shot.
Regards,
Jeff

Last edited by JNW; 12/20/15 11:14 AM.

"We are men of action. Lies do not become us."
Wesley
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Chuck H
You can't have too much data. The old line of "patterns are all that matter" falls short when buying and selling. If there is little choke, and the gun throws a tight pattern with someone else's pet skeet load, it may or may not be acceptably tight for a hunting load.

CHOKE MATTERS.

I can work with metal that is there. If it isn't there, you are limited in what can be done to tighten patterns. How many of you would buy a gun for pass shooting geese that wasn't tightly choked, but the owner said "my pet load is incredible in this gun for geese at great distances"?

The line about patterning and not worrying about choke has been parroted so many times, people have lost touch with reality. There actually is a direct correlation between choke and pattern with a given load.

Chuck,
With all due respect, He isn't buying. He isn't selling. I'm going to guess he isn't pass shooting at geese, because, he said he wanted to measure constriction on a .410, but, I guess you never know. You can measure all you want, but, the direct correlation between choke, pattern, and given loads gets fuzzy in a .410. If anyone is parroting anything, it is the guys with a spiffy new micrometer, who measure a gun and declare it to be such and such choke, and head out with a variety of ammunition they have never, ever patterned said gun with said loads.

Choke matters, when you have done the homework. If you haven't patterned, you haven't even started.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein

Chuck,Choke matters, when you have done the homework. If you haven't patterned, you haven't even started.
Best,
Ted

I am most definitely not one of the technical guys here, but Ted's take on this problem rings true with me...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein
Originally Posted By: Chuck H

CHOKE MATTERS.

Chuck,
With all due respect, He isn't buying. He isn't selling. I'm going to guess he isn't pass shooting at geese, because, he said he wanted to measure constriction on a .410, but, I guess you never know. You can measure all you want, but, the direct correlation between choke, pattern, and given loads gets fuzzy in a .410. If anyone is parroting anything, it is the guys with a spiffy new micrometer, who measure a gun and declare it to be such and such choke, and head out with a variety of ammunition they have never, ever patterned said gun with said loads.

Choke matters, when you have done the homework. If you haven't patterned, you haven't even started.

Best,
Ted

Ted, no disrespect and none taken. Patterning IS important too. Choke is the equipment to facilitate the desired pattern. Sometimes more or less choke for the load at hand to get desired results. Some loads just don't pattern well, etc..

But if we know the internal configuration and dimensions of a barrel, Most of us have a good idea of its performance with loads we have experience with. We can buy a P-gun with a skeet choke and toss in some AA skeet loads and we are not likely to be surprised.

Last edited by Chuck H; 12/22/15 08:08 PM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Do telescoping gages have radiused ends so that they will give a true reading of the inside diameter of a bore?

SRH

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.