May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 270 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,531
Posts545,924
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

I thought I'd bring back this thread to show a little surprise Dan and I found today preparing a consignment rifle for sale. The barrel is marked Taylor & Robbin, and we found this under the highly engraved buttplate. I've got lot s of pic but right now need to post them on GI and try to sell this fine .243.
(I could a started a whodayathink thread?)
Anyone seriously interested can PM me.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Great thread, say I was wondering about this rifle that
appeared on gunbroker awhile back

Hooper

Sidelock
Sidelock

George Hoenig.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I visited Len Brownell at his shop in Wyarno, Wyoming (outside Sheridan) in the summer of 1977. I had much admiration for the photos I had seen of his work and was even more impressed to see his work in the flesh and meeting the wonderfully accomplished and humble man.
I don't see Brownell rifles up for sale very often, but trim lines and exceptional craftsmanship seem to have been his norm.
When this rifle came into the shop we thought it special, and the more we looked at it (tang safety, almost perfect checkering, great inletting) the more we wondered about Taylor & Robbins?
When the heavily engraved buttplate came off, as you might imagine, I called out to Dan in the back shop, "We Scored!"
We knew it was a 'special rifle', now we knew why. We still don't know anything about T&R except they were in PA.
I'll try and post a link to the pics when I get it up for sale.

Last edited by SDH-MT; 12/12/15 12:38 AM. Reason: edit
Sidelock
Sidelock

Neat rifle Steven. So, who was the engraver in those days?

Sam Welch
Sidelock
Sidelock

What caliber is it in? What does it weigh?

Looks like a beautiful job. Not many stockmakeres get the proportions of a Mannlicher stock corrrectly IMHO.

Boxlock
Boxlock

I have had the opportunity to handle several of Duane Weibe's rifles. I have always thought they were very well made with a good eye towards aesthetics.

cpa Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Claire Taylor and Don Robbins (son in law possibly) were custom smiths in Marshburg, PA in the 1940's and into the 1950's, I believe. I think they were primarily known for benchrest rifles.

Last edited by cpa; 12/12/15 06:04 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a Model 70 Winchester in 7mm Taylor & Robbins Magnum (a predecessor of the 7mm Remington Magnum), which was built for my late friend Crawford Hollidge, of Spin Tru bench rest bullets fame and writer of the Ernest Stuhlshuter column in Precision Shooting. Unfortunately, Crawf was left handed, and I am not, so I had the barreled action re-stocked by Griffin & Howe back in the '80's, and had another barreled action fitted to the stock by T&R, which I then sold. The T&R chamber accepts 7mm Remington Magnum ammunition and is a tack driver.

edj Offline
Boxlock
Boxlock

First time writing,I grew up about 15 miles from Taylor and Robbins shop which was in Rixford PA. and visited it regularly with my father in early 70s. Both Clair Taylor and Don Robbins were champion benchrest shooters and rifle builders. You can find them listed in the the old benchrest assn. Yearbooks. Don also was a stock builder and did some of the finest checkering found anywhere.i have a pair of Winchester 9422s that Dad had checkered by Don in 1973. I also recently purchased a model 70 270 barreled by T & R and possibly stocked by Roy Pullen. Stock is a lefty. Was told it was built for Crawfod Hollidge. I would like to know more about this rifle. Taylor and Robbins also pattented the original bore saver for cleaning bolt actions most everone has probably seen or owns the plastic ones made by MTM now. I will try to post more info on Taylor and Robbins in future if anyone is interested.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.