April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (HeymSR20), 404 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,480
Posts545,230
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#427728 11/26/15 01:18 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I posted this on the "Best Gun Writers" thread, but it's worth repeating this day

Shotgunner's Notebook "Our World Without Shotguns"

"No shotguns, no poetry. No shotguns, no exuberant competition. No shotguns, no silent days alone, or with a dog, to merely walk and think. Take the shotguns from my life and take the books that go with them. Take the paintings and the etchings and bronzed pointing Setters and Labs with a proudly carried duck. Take my decoys and my marsh boat and my string of calls. Take my old photographs of friends at gun clubs and duck camps and at the simple farms. Take my faded coats and briared boots and old soft hats. Take my whistles and dog bells and red and yellow field trial ribbons from their frames.
What friends I have, what days I treasure most, what places I think about and smile...these are because shotguns are. Without them I would have been empty. They have made my life full."

I'm thankful for the dogs that have given me such joy. My life would have been so much less without them.

I'm thankful for friends to share days afield, and even the "imaginary internet friends" I've met here smile

I'm thankful for Robert Ruark and The Old Man and The Boy which, along with the Boy Scouts, changed the direction of my life as a young man. I'm sorry he couldn't defeat his demons.

I'm thankful for living in MO. and KS. where hunting was part of the culture, and though quail have certainly declined, one could still have good hunts for quail, pheasant, waterfowl, deer and turkey.

I'm thankful I now live in the most gun friendly state in the U.S., with Mearns, but there aren't any this year, so no reason to come wink

I'm thankful that when the world seems to be sliding into chaos and evil is rising, God is still on His throne and pray the decline in our national character and morals can be reversed.

I could WAY do without the drama and pathologic narcissism here, but I'm still thankful for this place where we can share our interest in double guns and ask for help.

How 'bout you?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Happy Thanksgiving folks.

gjw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Drew Hause
I posted this on the "Best Gun Writers" thread, but it's worth repeating this day

Shotgunner's Notebook "Our World Without Shotguns"

"No shotguns, no poetry. No shotguns, no exuberant competition. No shotguns, no silent days alone, or with a dog, to merely walk and think. Take the shotguns from my life and take the books that go with them. Take the paintings and the etchings and bronzed pointing Setters and Labs with a proudly carried duck. Take my decoys and my marsh boat and my string of calls. Take my old photographs of friends at gun clubs and duck camps and at the simple farms. Take my faded coats and briared boots and old soft hats. Take my whistles and dog bells and red and yellow field trial ribbons from their frames.
What friends I have, what days I treasure most, what places I think about and smile...these are because shotguns are. Without them I would have been empty. They have made my life full."

I'm thankful for the dogs that have given me such joy. My life would have been so much less without them.

I'm thankful for friends to share days afield, and even the "imaginary internet friends" I've met here smile

I could WAY do without the drama and pathologic narcissism here, but I'm still thankful for this place where we can share our interest in double guns and ask for help.

How 'bout you?

Very nice and very well said!

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your families!

God Bless!

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Sidelock
Sidelock

Happy Thanksgiving and thanks for sharing Drew. Nice words

'28 Chevy Sedan
1920s Double corn crib
1909 Hollenbeck Three Barrel gun - Damascus 16ga and .32-40
1940s Woolrich Parka
7 point VA whitetail.

Last edited by Marks_21; 11/27/15 12:09 AM. Reason: Additional details request
Sidelock
Sidelock

Happy Thanksgiving. My family and I just finished enjoying a wonderful meal. I grilled a turkey breast this morning, now we're off to make hay while the sun shines ......... ehhrrr, pick peanuts that is.

I am thankful for all my blessings, Stan

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

PBS just had a documentary about the first Thanksgiving. Excellent program explaining how the Wampanoag tribe decimated by disease interacted with the Pilgrims to form a mutual defense against the numerous enemies of the Wampanoag. Finally a documentary that states that the American Indian did not get along very well with other American Indians.

just makes Thanksgiving all that more special!!!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Marks21,

Nice picture. Tell us about the gun. Damascus double rifle?

SRH

Sidelock
Sidelock

Cool kitchen knife Stan. What's the story on that serious looking pig sticker?...Geo

Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Sidelock
Sidelock

That is a gift from a friend who lives in N. Georgia, near Helen. He has made damascus knives for many years, and used to sell them at the rendezvous he would attend with the muzzleloading community. It is called a Rifleman's Knife, or Longhunter's Knife. It is patterned after the knives carried by frontiersmen in the early 1800s on their long (sometimes several months) hunts for meat and skins. The maker's name is Ivan Boggs, and his trade name is Habersham Forge. I have watched him make a blade from 5 layers of carbon and nickel steel. He usually ends with 320 layers in the finished billet, welding and folding it 6 times. Watching a knife maker forge a billet of damascus steel is quite a memorable event, for me anyway. He once told me that it took him the better part of a day to forge one blade.

Ivan, and his lovely wife Blanche, used to come down from the mountains and hunt deer on my place. He was always trying to do something for me to repay me for letting him hunt. He had given me a couple damascus knives, but one trip down he told me, "I want to make you a special knife. One that is exactly like you want. What would that be?". I replied that I had always wanted a big coffin handled Bowie. He said for me to draw the knife I wanted and he would make it. I did ....... and he did. He made me an ivory scaled, coffin handled Bowie fighting knife that I treasure. Every steel part of the knife is damascus, even the guard. It has elephant ivory scales, and is really a handful. It is basically useless to me right now, except to admire and remember his friendship, but if we ever lose our right to bear guns (God forbid), I may need to carry it. If you'd like to see a pic I can take some and post them.

I miss seeing Ivan. He doesn't drive down anymore, says his daughters won't let him, since Blanche passed away. Friends like him are few and far between.

SRH

Sidelock
Sidelock

I figured it was a custom job; bet it will work on a turkey carving job. Nice story to go with it. If you get a chance post a pic of that coffin handled Bowie
Best...Geo

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.