May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
2 members (Wild Skies, jake van dyke), 994 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,502
Posts545,509
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
wb Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Still in the oven baking, didn't come out till a few weeks before Chirstmas!

Thanks CC and everyone for remembering. Thanks to all that Tom Brokaw refers to so aptly as "The Greatest Generation." I had an uncle in the 82nd Airborne that made a jump into Normandy that night and miraculously lived to spend more than 30 years in the 82nd. My Dad was a B17 mechanic in the Army Air Corps. All of these people, men and women, did whatever it took to save the free world. They did it with such dignity and then the lucky ones came home and quietly became our fathers and mothers, uncles and aunts, grandfathers and grandmothers, friends and neighbors. God bless them all.

Ed Pirie
West Topsham, Vermont

Sidelock
Sidelock

My now deceased hunting buddy Ed jumped in behind the German lines at Normandy. He had many tales, and it was an honor to know him. Kept himself clean shaved, high and tight, and very fit, well into his '70's. Americans could never stomach that lewvel of carnage today.

Me?, Well I was still jumping nut to nut for a long time yet.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I did not arrive until the date the 2nd A-bomb was delivered, on Nagasaki.

However . . . June 63, I was being trained by NCO's who were WWII vets; June 69, I was being trained by CIA officers who were OSS vets of WWII. I feel very fortunate to have had them as mentors.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Probably out playing in sand. But that evening I probably listened to the news on the radio by J.V. Kaltenborn while sitting with my parents. Does stir some memories.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I lived along the Railroad Tracks that came from Dallas-Ft. Worth and remember Railcars full of Soldiers,Tanks and Artillary and equipment coming by headed for the Houston Ship Channel. I remember the roar of the B-17s and others as they were headed to Ellington Field S. of Houston. I was on the front porch of the house with my Mother when the fire sirens went off for a long time signeling VJ day. Nearly all the Boys in my little town had gone to the service and most to the Marines.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't recall specifically, but I was most likely playing with my wooden Springfield. Busy shooting imaginary Japs and Nazis in the woods behind the house while waiting for my Dad to get back from the Marines in the Pacific at the end of his enlistment and three Uncles to return from the Army in Europe.

Sidelock
Sidelock

June 1944..a VERY important month for me, as I was born in March 1945 in Toronto.
My first name was for my Dad's brother, at that time wearing a funny brown "suit" and successfully dodging bullets and bombs in Holland. Second name for my Aunt's husband who sadly did not dodge all the bullets and bombs in the Liri Valley south of Rome - Pte. Ed Flynn, Toronto Irish Regiment KIA May 1944.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I was there by the grace of people who put the events on the paper.
God bless them all.

I was nowhere during that time. I am just a lad of 58 years, now. I have a dear frind who is near death as I write this. He has told me often of his landing on Normandy beach and crawling on his belly most of the way to Berlin. He tells of the terribly cold Christmas during his stay in the Ardenne Forest and the subsequent help from Patton's 3rd Army. He tells of approaching a small town and, having had no rations for three days, was glad to find some canned pears in an old barn.

I honor those of his day and appreciate all they have given. I don't have a vintage rifle, with which to salute, so I will offer up sincere prayers for the many souls lost during that day.

Regards,
Charles

Teach a child to hunt, but first teach them to be safe....safe hunting cements fond memories.
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.