March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (eightbore), 827 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,014
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I dont suppose many of you 'Colonials' who are 'Weber Warriors', are old enough to remember TO-DAYS DATE!(Some of the 'Older Vets'may. To-Day I will fire a 21 round Salute from my 1942c.Lee Enfield.The same mod. Rifle my Late Father 'Lugged' through France, Holland,Belgium & Finally Germany. 63 Years ago, London, England was not quite the Tourist "MECCA" that it has become in 2007.To my Former Purdey Workmates,who survied Hitlers Wrath in London,(We were all'Snot-Nosed Kids'born in the 1930s)I'll be'On the Beach here in Cape Neddick, Maine, Looking to the East, towards "Utah,Omaha,Gold,Sword"...NOT.Mecca..Let the 'Toasting Begin'!Thank-You ALL. Trevallion. cc.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I was in the 2nd grade, at Budlong school, in Chicago, waiting for summer vacation. On this day in 1957, I was getting honorably discharged from the U. S. Army, in Ft. Smith, AR.
God bless them all!

> Jim Legg <

Sidelock
Sidelock

Me?, I was patiently waiting till June 6th, 1948 to be born. Happy Birthday to me!...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

I was happily residing in my mother's womb. My father, Lt jg US Navy was aboard an LST at Omaha Beach and subsequently wounded that day. He never talked about his role in the War even when I gave him a hand held recorder and asked him to privately record his experiences.
My thoughts and prayers to those who did not survive this day in history and my thanks to all who participated. I was lucky as my Father and my Wife's Father, a B17 Pilot with 30+ Missions did survive to give us a wonderful future.-Dick

Sidelock
Sidelock

Rrev. ---- thanks for remembering (not just specific dates) all the young men and women who because of their actions will never age beyond their young years. May God bless them all for their sacrifices to preserve our freedoms. I well remember the trains near my home in Norfolk carrying cannon and tanks to be loaded onto ships bound for England. I also remember Walter Winchels broadcast from rooftops in London during air raids . This brings back a flood of memories like gas/meat/sugar rationing, back/sideyards victory gardens and me and my uncle hunting rabbits, squirells and quail or ducks for extra meat. Aaahh the memories ------- Ken

Ken Hurst
910-221-5288

I might have been lugging a tied bundle of newspapers to a school for a last paper drive before summer vacation, or pulling weeds in our family's 'victory garden' plot, or just looking at Axis aircraft silhouettes printed on the back of my cereal box. Or reading a letter from my big brother, who was serving in the navy at Dutch Harbor in the Aleutians. In those days, butter was given up for guns, and war touched the lives of everyone.

Sample my new book at http://www.theweemadroad.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

I was but a wee lad of four years, but, ya' know, I vividly remember the ending of the war in Europe the following year. I had relatives in the war, and my mother kept the radio on the kitchen window sill on all the time, tuned to the news broadcasts of the day. I clearly remember the announcement that the war had ended, and her shouting that her brothers would be coming back alive!! Quite a memory for a five year old!!

I love the idea of the 21 gun salute from a vintage WWII gun. I think I'll head up to my youngest son's farm this afternoon and touch off my M1 Garand in a similar honor. A bit less than three clips. That should heat up the barrel more than it's been for some time.

DT, thank you for the wonderful sentiments.

I was born just after the war but heard LOTS from my, and my friends' parents.

Also, we happened to be in France in June, 1986, and in Normandy on the 6th. We had no idea it would be any more than coincidental.

It sure was. There were allied flags hanging from many buildings. When we went into stores, restaraunts and museums we were treated like guests. We went into a sporting goods store and bought a few, minor things; I mentioned I was a cartridge collector and asked if they had any old, wierd stuff. Out from the back came a box, from which I selected fewer items than I would have liked to, because absolutely, positively my money was no good for those items.

I'm disappointed and disgusted by the French position on our current, huge problems, but will always remember the many who hadn't forgotten our mutual sacrifices, 42 years after.

Fred
Sidelock
Sidelock

My chromosomes were yet to be joined 1944 but I thank those men who gave their lives and limbs that day. And thank you for remembering CC.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Crossedchisles, I was out in the garden playing with a small model fighter plane made of very cheap stuff when my mother anounced the launch. I was six and the war was a bit confusing and remote but not the effect it had on our daily lives. I do remember the excitment of the day which was catching. We were going to get the Natzis and pay them back for the war. I did not understand at that point the full horror. I did learn and I have been a hawk since. And so to those with a supine political backbone I say "Not Me". david

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.