Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#427090 11/20/15 08:38 AM
trw999 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

This intrigued me. I found this snippet in the February 1898 edition of 'The Sporting Goods Review' about musical gun locks.

Does it chime with anyone here?

Tim

[url=[URL=http://s1201.photobucket.com/user/trw999/media/Fine%20British%20Guns/Musical%20Gun%20Locks_zpsnyj26wic.jpg.html][/url]][/url]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Wow - that's pretty interesting. Has anyone ever seen a set of Manton locks with this little feature on them? There are plenty of old Mantons around.

And what does the rest of the article say? Any more tidbits like this?

Thanks for sharing.

OWD

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Never heard of that but I did have an original "Ping" putter. smile

Dodging lions and wasting time.....
Sidelock
Sidelock

I understand what the writer is trying to convey, and have experienced it myself. He is somewhat overstating the effect, but on very high quality locks there is a different sound, AND feel as the lock is cycled through half and full cock positions. Saying it has musical qualities might be a bit of an embellishment, but I guess you could say there is a slight harmonic "ping" sound to it. And as I stated, the "feel" of the lock is just as impressive.

As far as the spring the writer describing, I think he is simply describing the trigger return spring found on most quality guns.

“I left long before daylight, alone but not lonely.”~Gordon Macquarrie
Sidelock
Sidelock

if pretty and makes a pleasant sound it will amuse the child for a longer period of time...

a lot like the C....O....LLLLLL...T you get when cocking a 1873 single action....how often have you seen a fat middle aged guy at a gun show with the gun close to his ear when cycling the action and that dumb looking overly amused grin on his puss...

gunut
trw999 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: obsessed-with-doubles
And what does the rest of the article say? Any more tidbits like this?

Thanks for sharing.

OWD

That is the entire note. The articles are very much longer in that journal but there would be several pages of trade news and other shorter pieces.

These old magazines are quite interesting but do take time to wade through and I have to go up to London and the British Library to read them.

Something else I came across yesterday was this, a photograph of Major Gerald Burrard. I snapped it since I have his books but no image of him. The article, which I did not copy, was about trialling a new .303 round on the private Canon Frome estate long range, which went to 1,400 yards. More info here: http://www.herefordtimes.com/news/featur...soleum/?ref=rss

For this trial, Burrard teamed up with Mr C Mack and, shooting in pairs over two days, beat the other two fellows. There were only 15 points difference between all four rifle shots over that two day period. Pretty impressive. Anyway, that's what old Gerald looked like!

Tim

[url=[URL=http://s1201.photobucket.com/user/trw999/media/Fine%20British%20Guns/Maj%20Gerald%20Burrard%201928_zpsc5tgltj2.jpg.html][/url]][/url]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Flintfan
I understand what the writer is trying to convey, and have experienced it myself. He is somewhat overstating the effect

I agree, there are locks and locks. In their most crude form locks are a functional mechanism, but when you pick up a hammer gun with pristine locks made will skill and care, and you pull that hammer back and you can feel the perfectly smooth build on the mainspring and the positive engagement of the sear, and in your minds eye you can see the sear spring flicking the sear into each notch as you pull the hammer back. I have a gun that's saved from the scrap bin purely because it has the nicest locks i have had the pleasure to use, in all other respects the gun is scrap value with pitted dented shortened tubes, damage and intensive repairs to the stock, but a beautiful pair of locks. Gun by Highham, converted muzzle loader to 14 gauge breach loader

mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

len bull told me about his quite a while ago, it was an added spring just to make a metallic click instead of a dull wooden click.guys seem to like clicks in there guns.

Sidelock
Sidelock

TRW-

Great pic. Thanks for sharing. I love the chalk board (?) and all the gear those guys dragged into the field with them.

Their outfits are great, too. Ties!

OWD

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

Reminds me of a story a prairie dog hunter relayed to me...he told this women in a bar that "I'm now in the 1000 yard club"...she replied "hell you can't even see a damn prairie dog at a 1000 yards".

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.