May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (Lawrence Kotchek, Hammergun, SKB, playing hooky, 1 invisible), 691 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,502
Posts545,505
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 11 of 55 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 54 55
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

On p. 380 of 'L.C. Smith "The Legend Lives"', the damascus barrels as graded by Hunter Arms are shown, and the steel % described as follows:
English Stub Twist- 52%
Good Two Rod Damascus- 60%
Good Four Stripe Chain Damascus- 60%
Fine Three Rod Damascus- 67%
Finest Three Rod Damascus- 70%
Choice Three Rod Herring Bone Pattern- 70%

The Greener brls may be 'Bernard', which was available in several grades. Please see Ferdinand Drissen's 1897-1898 price sheet:

Last edited by revdocdrew; 06/01/07 08:11 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

More notes on American damascus if anyone is still interested
In early 1864, Walter Baker of Ilion NY (very near Lisle NY. then home of W H Baker, but I don't know if they're related)recieved a patent for a trip hammer that was specially designed for making gun barrels (patent 41669)...one of the reasons I'm mentioning this patent, is to show the tail end of hammering, and that by the late 1860's the shotgun industry had already adopted the higher volume production techniques. I am hoping that the thread contributor with access to the Tompkins County directory will cross check the name of Walter Baker, to see if he appears anywhere near Motts Corners (prior to 1863). I'll check Jerry Swinney's files for the same.
In 1865, Ethan Allen recieved a patent for twisting, winding, and welding damascus shotgun barrels. The patent, 48249, goes into details of the process. One the witnesses is Sullivan Forehand. Then, exactly one year later Ethan recieved another patent for soldering the tubes together through internal flaming. Again Sullivan Forehand was a witness. Ethan Allen resided in Worcester Mass at the time of both patents
In 1869, a patent was issued to Selah Hiler of Harlem NY for improvement in the manufacture of gun barrels in which he states that "sucessive rolling operations" is the "usual" (manufacturing process) (by 1869). This is not the only reference to the rolling of damascus shotgun barrels in the historical record, but it is the last time I will spend trying to convince the guys still holding onto the thousands of hammering elves concept. (samurai barrels)

Lastly, although this is not for American made damascus, I thought that you might be interested to know that winding was not the only technique used for making damascus barrels. In 1892, Franz Meixner of Austria recieved a U.S. patent for a new departure in damascus barrel making that involves many cones stacked around the mandrel. This technique offers a much higher surface to surface area for welding, and theoretically offers a far stronger damascus barrel than anything seen before. (US pat 477763)

I hope I'm adding to the understanding and not inadvertantly adding to the misunderstandings involved with damascus steel shotgun barrels...Please note how the great missing chapter of American double evolution keeps cropping up ...Worcester

Sidelock
Sidelock

Here's a copy of Ethan Allen's damascus patent. I decided to post it only because it's a very interesting read. Please say if this data is overly technical.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Walter Baker is 33 in 1870. Born in England and works in the armory. He lives in German Flats, NY with his wife and 4 children.

William H Baker is 44 in 1880. He lives in Manlius, NY with his wife and 7 childern, the youngest a boy named Walter. William H Baker is listed as being born in NY.

Of course, I could have these 2 names very confused...

Worcester is interesting. It is the home of the Bay State gun company which was later purchased by Hopkins & Allen. Bay State used several patents by W.H. Davenport, who later sold single barrel shotguns under his own name.

By the way. Nice work finding the trip hammer patent.

Drew,

I like the price list. I have seen similiar, but never so complete.

Pete

PeteM #42411 06/04/07 11:25 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Pete,
You sure nailed it down at light speed. With W H and Walter being only a year apart and born on different continents, I guess it's highly unlikely they're related. Also, Walter's being born in England, makes it unlikley that he ever worked for the dyed in the wool outfit later known as Losey and Lull (in Motts Corners) Thank you Bob

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Pete: The Price List comes from the April, 1976 American Rifleman article, and helps a great deal trying to interpret the quality level of the various named damascus patterns.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Rev,
After all this is your topic...and you have taught me 10X more about damascus barrels than anyone...I was hoping that you would say whether or not I'm adding to the understanding or whether I'm being overly technical. I figured that the biggest contributions I could add, is to dispell the erred concepts that damascus was never produced in America and the samurai barrel notion. I hope you see this data as positive advances in the understanding of damascus barrels. If not, just say so and I won't contribute further...Bob Chambers

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Robert: By profession and calling, my duty and responsibility is to seek the truth. ANY 'truth', as best we can document and understand, is a contribution to the field of knowledge. Unfortunately, in Medicine anyway, what passes as 'truth' usually changes every few years Hard to argue with copies of patents however! And your, and Pete's, contributions, and every pic posted with a different damascus pattern, have been extremely valuable.

Last edited by revdocdrew; 06/04/07 02:07 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I believe the book, Espingarda Perfeyta or The Perfect Gun, written in 1718 shows the "cone" method of making Damascus barrels. Of course, not called Damascus then. Interesting a patent for something similar over 150 years later.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
In 1869, a patent was issued to Selah Hiler of Harlem NY for improvement in the manufacture of gun barrels in which he states that "sucessive rolling operations" is the "usual" (manufacturing process) (by 1869). This is not the only reference to the rolling of damascus shotgun barrels in the historical record, but it is the last time I will spend trying to convince the guys still holding onto the thousands of hammering elves concept. (samurai barrels)

Robert,

Do you have a patent number for the Selah Hiler patent? I want to read it. Rolling mills became essential for the gun industry. Curious to see if the patent talks about low / high carbon etc.

Your information is very valuable. Do not stop.

Pete

Page 11 of 55 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 54 55

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.