April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (HMAK, 1 invisible), 769 guests, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,468
Posts545,126
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 11 of 15 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
Originally Posted By: canvasback
Dewey, I wish you would just please come out and say what you mean instead of beating around the bush.

Most likely he was referring to L.C. Smith guns being a poor design.

jOe, that was intended to be humorous sarcasm. Dewey was rather clear about what he meant.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thank you Dewey for an insightful look at American double design.

Simplifying design, increasing robustness, while retaining the essentials of handling and ergonomics were never priorities of SXS designers and makers.

There are few SXS equivalents of the OU Brescia action, something simple and robust powered by coil springs. The Chapuis, Fabarm Classis, are two that come to mind, but they are discounted because they are not sidelock or boxlock.

And we still have ribs on doubles! Masochism seems to be involved in there somewhere.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Shotgunlover, The Manufrance Ideal is coil spring powered,robust, and is quite simple in comparison to several of the American guns discussed here, but it may qualify as an "anomaly' as suggested by the title, at least in this country.

Men build too many walls and not enough bridges. -Isaac Newton
Sidelock
Sidelock

Duplicate post....I'm an idiot!

Last edited by canvasback; 11/02/15 12:28 PM.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

WagonWillie, the Ideal may qualify as an anomaly in NA, but not in it's home market of France, where around 100,000 Ideals were made (and some unknown number of Ideal-Robusts as well as Ideals sold under other names, using the same action) over about 100 years. And, as you say, simple in design, extremely strong and coil spring powered.

No flash in the pan but a design tested over 100 years of production.

Last edited by canvasback; 11/02/15 12:06 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Canvasback,
Too bad that more Manufrance Ideals didn't make it to the USA. Lots of them still in France, but it's not easy to get them imported, unfortunately, as you and I have discussed.

Men build too many walls and not enough bridges. -Isaac Newton
Sidelock
Sidelock

Viva La France- Tourjours La Audace--por Les Chasseurs!!

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

WW I hear you!

Subconsciously, or due to manipulation, we accepted the English designs, the sidelock and the boxlock, as the standards in SXSs.

We forgot that these were developed for a static type of driven shooting, not active hunting, even though most of us will never shoot driven game. Thus we feel obliged to either look down on other designs or be apologetic if we happen to choose them. "It might not be a sidelock but it is X".

But some of us choose some designs precisely because they are NOT sidelocks. My next SXS, if I find one, will be a Robust Ideal. If for no other reason than the "I" sectioned rib which is the only rational rib design ever devised and secondly for the coil springs. I have been burned more than once by broken V springs and unstuck ribs.

Sidelock
Sidelock

To the best of my recollection since I bought my very first double barrel shotgun 61 years ago I have been "Burned" by exactly one mainspring failure & it was a coil. It didn't break but lost it's "Spring" so only one barrel would fire until it was replaced. I have had a couple of V top lever springs to break, but so far not a Main Spring.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

On the same gun in two consecutive hunts I had a broken Southgate ejector spring and a main spring. The spring job was simple compared to the dismantling and those engraved indexed screws, no plain axles on this gun. Experiences like these tend to influence choices.

The local general spring maker can copy any coil or wire spring for a few Euros. V springs are a different story. I was lucky with the boxlock's plain Vs, well lucky insofar as it was not a sidelock.

Page 11 of 15 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.