May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (AGS, Chantry, 1 invisible), 379 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,506
Posts545,579
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

The Europeans don't want or like our double shotguns and I don't blame them. How many Winchester Model 21 just sit at auction or sell at a minimum well below reserve. Our Colt revolvers and Winchester lever action rifles, yes, but not our doubles.

Sidelock
Sidelock

With respect Treblig, the Europeans don't want or like American guns because they were never sold American guns. Americans, on the other hand, have been being sold British and European firearms for as long as America has been around.

I think you underestimate the importance of the marketing and selling of a product in creating a receptive market place.

Mind you, I agree about the Win 21. LOL

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Little Creek, the "expert" on spelling Purdey does not even own a double shotgun.

Originally Posted By: Jagermeister
You bring back memories. Homeless Joe used to spell Purdey the same way. I told him they also make fine paint brushes. Anyhow legendary member Lowell Glenthorne from Glenthorne Woods aka Thorny used to own one before he moved on to Frederick Beesley British double. The only thing he complained about was how little he got for that fine French game gun with Paris? proof marks. Other than that he had nothing bad to say about it.

Here's Jagermeister telling us about his one and only shotgun. He didn't say if he actually owns it, or if he merely rents it like his .22 rifle and an AKM he recently returned to the gun rental store. I did not even know you could rent a gun.

Originally Posted By: Jagermeister
This is very modern Ithaca 37 made in Ohio USA. It has fixed 24" barrel, Briley choke system, rifle sights with florescent plastic inserts, sling swivels and plastic for end and butt stock plus Pachmayr recoil pad. The best thing is entire gun is finished in weatherproof "real bush and vine" camo pattern. smirk

The gun is not very heavy for 3" magnum and I can use it for: HD, waterfowl, turkey hunting, big game hunting plus rabbits and other small critters. For turkey or big game hunting I have a choice of either Nikon 1-4x20mm or Vortex Sparc II.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've seen Guyot sidelocks & boxlocks listed in old Abercrombie & Fitch Used Gun catalogs.

I've also seen hammerguns that looked like they were from the 1870s and Petrik-style OUs that looked fairly modern -- all marked Guyot.

It wouldn't surprise me if Guyot was gunmaker/family of gunmakers at one point who ended up retailing stuff made in the trade. Pretty common path for the smallish Euro makers to follow.

I've read that one of the Guyots had a retail presence in London at one time, and I've wondered if this Guyot learned to build guns there.

A lot of the sidelock Guyots I've seen are very London-esque.

Most of the boxlocks have looked like they came out of Belgian -- very similar to boxlock Brancquaerts.

OWD

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: canvasback
Mind you, I agree about the Win 21. LOL

smile

My get-rich-quick-scheme was to fly to Europe. buy all of the Winchester Model 21s I could find for pennies on a dollar or Euro I should say, then bring them back here and sell them at a premium. A guy can dream can't he??? smile

Sidelock
Sidelock

Checking out Dr. Hause's article, always great stuff to read, it seems that the W. & C. Scott was the big shot on the live pigeon scene.

Sidelock
Sidelock

At the Riverton Handicap March 8, 1895 only one of the 15 competitors used an American made gun; all the others British.
http://www.la84foundation.org/SportsLibrary/SportingLife/1895/VOL_24_NO_25/SL2425015.pdf
“It may be interesting to some to note the guns and loads used, and we give it below. It was a lamentable fact that of the 15 guns used only one American make was represented. This was a special pigeon gun of the Parker Brothers' manufacture, and was a beautiful weapon in every way, and was owned by Mr. Post, whose score of 93 on a hard lot of birds did not show that the shooting power was lacking."
"All the guns were 12 gauge, and it was noticeable that not a full pistol-grip stock was among the number, and most of them were the straight-grip ‘pigeon gun’ model, nine being of this description, and six of the half-grip style. All were of the hammerless pattern excepting two; Mr. Welch and Mr. Robbing using hammerguns.”
Following is the make of guns and loads used:
Capt. A.W. Money - Greener, 7 1/2 pounds.
George Work - Purdey, 7 1/2 pounds.
Post - Parker pigeon gun (AAH introduced in 1894)), 7 11-16 pounds.
Jim Jones - Scott, 7 3-16 pounds.
John B. Ellison - Scott, 7 1/4 pounds.
Fred Moore - Purdey, 7 7-16 pounds.
Leonard - Westley Richards, 7 1/2 pounds.
Mott - Crown grade Greener, 7 2-16 pounds.
J.S. Robbins - Greener hammer gun, 7 1/2 pounds.
R. Welch - Purdey hammer gun, 7 1/2 pounds
Downing - Scott, 7 6-16 pounds.
J.K. Palmer – Francotte, 7 1/2 pounds.
Edwards - Scott Premier, 7 pounds.
J. Wolstencroft - Greener, 6 15-16 pounds.
Eckert - Scott Premier, 7 1/4 pounds.

More information here, with a list of guns used at GAHs; almost no French, but some Francottes promoted by VL&D
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1D8QkBDo-KIQYk2G8lkE-kHLUybB5NJzBahX_eFKEyuY/preview

Sidelock
Sidelock

Interesting that even after the McKinley Tariff of 1890 added 35% + $6 to the price of top-quality, foreign made shotguns, the serious shooters still preferred them.

OWD

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

In 1895, Will K. Park, Gun Editor for Sporting Life began to aggressively promote American maker's guns in a series of editorials.

http://www.la84foundation.org/SportsLibrary/SportingLife/1895/VOL_24_NO_21/SL2421013.pdf
Feb. 16, 1895 Sporting Life (Spelling is as written)
During the past three years on visits to such sporting clubs as Larchmont, Carteret, Tuxedo and Riverton, we have noted the peculiar fact that out of 20 or 30 guns on the grounds at one time there will possibly be one gun of American manufacture. All the others are “Crown Grade Grenier's,” “Premier Quality Scott's,” “Purdy's” and other foreign makes.
The remarkable state of affairs, which is not creditable to American manufacturers, would indicate that there is something lacking on their part. We know that men with “hobbies” are willing to spend much money to gratify their “hobby;” but we are not willing to concede, if only from a patriotic sense, that American manufacturers are unable to satisfy their countrymen's “hobby” in guns.

April 6, 1895
http://www.la84foundation.org/SportsLibrary/SportingLife/1895/VOL_25_NO_02/SL2502014.pdf
Some Facts About the Retail Gun Trade - The Mania For Foreign-Made Guns
Parker Bros., of Meriden, Conn., are producing a Special high grade pigeon gun which is certainly equal to an imported gun in every way, and best of all, the shooting quality is not lacking.
The Hunter Arms Co., of Fulton, N. Y., also make a special gun which is finely finished, perfectly balanced and contains the best workmanship.
The Lefever Arms Co., of Syracuse are also catering to this better class of trade, and have already filled many orders for guns costing $300 to $400 which were equal in material, finish design of engraving and general workmanship to any foreign gun costing much more money.

The "buy American" campaign, and the price differences, must have worked.

First DuPont Grand Smokeless Championship Handicap Live-bird Tournament, October 1895
http://www.la84foundation.org/SportsLibrary/SportingLife/1895/VOL_26_NO_06/SL2606012.pdf
Fred Gilbert (L.C. Smith) and Charles “Hayward” Macalester (Purdey) tied at 25; Gilbert won the shoot-off 5/5 to 4/5.
Charles Wagner (Parker), E.B. Coe (Smith), Capt. John L. Brewer (Greener), and A.H. King (Scott Monte Carlo) tied at 24; Wagner won the shoot-off taking 3rd place.
Guns: Smith – 13, Parker – 8, Greener – 11, Lefever – 6, Francotte – 4, Scott & Remington – 3 each, Francotte – 2, Colt, Grant, Boss & Purdey – 1 each

Price comparisons
https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=1OTND2bQH0vhlbCf7c2sN8H1vzmT7xagUSXhewGB03SE

Sidelock
Sidelock

I would hazard a guess that 80 plus percent of French Double Guns are GI bringbacks.

Mine's a tale that can't be told, my freedom I hold dear.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.