April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (fab500), 401 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,481
Posts545,233
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

If a gun is safe as is, it is a waste of money to sleeve either the bores or chambers. Cyril Adams shot sleeved guns because ten gauges are not allowed in the games he plays. I will also guess that Cyril paid about a tenth of the price of the gun in question. The Scott in the first post is ridiculously overpriced.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

eightbore, agreed! Looks like I have a very cheap 10 gauge bird gun for the time being smile

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: eightbore
If a gun is safe as is, it is a waste of money to sleeve either the bores or chambers. Cyril Adams shot sleeved guns because ten gauges are not allowed in the games he plays. I will also guess that Cyril paid about a tenth of the price of the gun in question. The Scott in the first post is ridiculously overpriced.

Sleeving is a good way to "rescue" guns which have barrels that are no longer "safe as is". Whether from accident, honing to the point that wall thickness is insufficient, etc. In Europe, the process requires that the gun be submitted to the proofhouse of the country in question--very typical in Great Britain, less common in other European countries--for reproof. Which means that you now have a gun that's been tested with the barrels as they now are, not as they were when the gun was new. And old guns that aren't sleeved may have had a fair amount of metal removed from the barrels over the course of their long lives. Thus they may now be out of proof because of excessive bore diameter, or dangerous because of thin walls. You don't have either of those concerns with a sleeved gun. There is reason for concern, however, over how the gun balances and handles post-sleeving. An old gun that hasn't been tampered with and is still in good condition will always be worth more than a sleeved gun. But there comes a point at which--either due to barrel wall thickness approaching .020 or so, or out of proof due to bore diameter--that a sleeved gun can represent equal or greater value than one in original condition. Depending on just how original that condition may be.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: canvasback
Originally Posted By: Rockdoc
I would never recommend that a friend of mine purchase a sleeved gun. No big deal except that such a gun can never be resold.

As long as the buyer knows it's been sleeved why can't it be resold?

Steve

Because eightbore will never recommend it be bought! LOL
So, new rules, ey? Eightballer has to OK any and all double gun purchases before we can make a move. Wow- Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely (sic)..

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Run With The Fox
Originally Posted By: canvasback
Originally Posted By: Rockdoc
I would never recommend that a friend of mine purchase a sleeved gun. No big deal except that such a gun can never be resold.

As long as the buyer knows it's been sleeved why can't it be resold?

Steve

Because eightbore will never recommend it be bought! LOL
So, new rules, ey? Eightballer has to OK any and all double gun purchases before we can make a move. Wow- Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely (sic)..

Nothing new, its always been that way. You're catching on how it works around here RWTF.

Sidelock
Sidelock

W&Mac is a pricey store. Look at their 20ga guns. There's a beat up Fox SW extractor gun for $4600!

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Agreed they are pricey - was just curious if there would even be any interest in the hammer gun I originally posted at a particular price point. I was thinking something along the lines of half of what they are asking.

It seems, however, the consensus is that not many people on here would be interested in such a heavily modified gun even just as a shooter!

Sidelock
Sidelock

I agree...any sleeved gun is to be valued at a fraction of its normal un-sleeved price.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yeah, try telling that to Ed Good-he sells questionable shotguns to the uncognoscenti all the time, if yu can believe his BS postings here.

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Francis apparently didn't recongnize that the statement was made in jest. The good thing is that he made a new friend, another poster who can't follow a simple conversation, or recognize "tongue in cheek". I would appreciate Francis' humor a lot more if he weren't such a stalker.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.