April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (SKB, coosa, Karl Graebner), 217 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,463
Posts545,052
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Gents; Sorry to take up your time with this seeming silly question; but does anyone make a chamber insert that slips into a ten gauge, stepping down to a 12 gauge.
The reason I ask, is my experience has been the larger the bore, the nicer patterns seem to me to be. I was wondering what a 10 gauge stepped down to a 12 would be like.
Sam Ogle Lincoln, NE
samogle2001@yahoo.com

Sam Ogle
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have some Gaugemate 10-12 adaptors that worked very well. Unfortunately, Gaugemate no longer makes the model I have, though they do make a different model 10-12 adapter.

Steve

Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks Steve; I will contact them.
I have shot light (7/8 ounce) loads in a 12 & they just do so well, I thought "I wonder what a 10 gauge shooting 7/8 ounce or 1 ounce would be like?" I realize the gun would be heavy, but it would be for targets; not hunting. (I have a 16 gauge Fox for that.)I shoot "light" loads in my 16 gauges, and a little bit light in my 28 gauge, although not too light.
(Think McIntosh, who said "A .410 is miserable little [censored] of a gun.")
Thanks again, I will contact Gaugemate.
Sam Ogle, Lincoln, NE samogle2001@yahoo.com

Sam Ogle
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks to the wonderful folks here, I have four 10-12 Gauge Mate Silvers.
They are wonderful for use in my old 10 gauge guns.
They are split down the side so the hulls fired in them do split but there are LOTS of AA hulls available for reloading.

I really enjoy using an Ithaca 10 gauge NID for doves smile

Mike

Last edited by skeettx; 10/10/15 12:44 PM.

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
Sidelock

I used a 10-12 Gauge Mates in my 10b SB hammergun by that fine London gunmaker T BARCLAY & SON of Oxford Street. smile I kid you not, I came across it at auction and just had to have it! No doubt just a hardware store.
Anyway, with fibre wads, which I use exclusively, it was a damp squib. You could tell by the sound and recoil that it was not doing much and they just tickled the birds. I suspect too much blow-by and loss of pressure.
Experimenting with plastic wads improved it immensely but as I do not hunt with anything but fibre, it was a non starter.
Just my experience, others seem to have had better experiences.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Here’s a photo of the old “Silver” Gaugemates. If you can find a set, spread them a little wide so they fit tightly in the chamber. Grind a spot at the top of the split so that you can flick out the empty with your fingernail while the sleeve stays in the chamber (tip courtesy of HomelessjOe). I’ve found that Winchester AA’s work very well in them, some brands stick a little in the sleeve.

Steve

Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)
tw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've a bud who shoots a Damascus 10 SxS chamber sleeved to 12ga. He shoots sporty clays w/it using modern target loads. He had another prior to the current one. Has shot thousands of targets with them, zero issue.

When you stop to think about it, the .750 nominal bore dia. is the same as the older 12ga. Baker Big Bore bbls. that many people [mostly trap and flyer shooters] were fans of.

FWIW, I had a back bored 12ga. [to .745"] O/U some years ago w/very long forcing cones and could never get it to 'sound' right w/fiber wads. Had to use plastic wads & not all of those tried obturated/sealed all that well. Settled on a couple of plastic wads that never sounded 'punky'. That's speaking to reloads. I never had an issue w/any of the normal factory Winchester AA target loads sounding f'unny'. AA wads have comparatively deep skirts.

Sidelock
Sidelock

"Nominal" diameter for a 10 ga bore is .775". 11 gauge = .751"
This does not of course prove what any individual gun's bore will measure. No doubt with that very Loooong forcing cone you were getting a lot of gas blow-by using fiber wads. Guns built when fiber wads were the norm generally had short cones.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

HI, Sam. Here is a little experiment you might care to conduct. Learn to use Shotgun Insights pattern analysis program. Load up some 3/4 oz 12 gauge loads. Shoot 10 patterns of said 12 bore and 10 patterns of 28 bore. Run analysis and see if a big difference in bore diameter actually does have an influence on pattern. Report here!! :-}

DDA

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Sam Ogle
(Think McIntosh, who said "A .410 is miserable little [censored] of a gun.")

Sam, many people who can't shoot them well badmouth them. As Clint E. said, "A man's got to know his limitations".

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.