March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (Owenjj3, NCTarheel, gunmaker, 3 invisible), 381 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,006
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ed good
now here is an interesting one:

https://www.gunsamerica.com//980721146/Otto-Seelig-Wiesbaden-12ga-Double-Barrel-Early-1900s.htm?wl=1

how did they make those trigger guards? are they one piece?

and could that gold wash on the receiver be original?

This might be the silliest looking double I have ever seen. There is so much questionable about this gun it's difficult to know where to begin. On balance, it looks like some backwoods New England bumpkins tried to create a "Kardashian" grade gun.

WHY is there black (paint?) dripping from the breech end? Did someone literally Krylon over the barrels with matte black paint?

So many other questions...not least of which is what gaudy concoction they used to...*ahem* -- "gold wash" -- the frame. Goes great with the boat oar quality wood and 1970's off brand pad.

Great for a morning laugh over coffee, though. Thanks for sharing. *S*

- Nudge

Sidelock
Sidelock

I suspect that is a Belgian tart, not German made. And, I also doubt that gold colored wash is original to the gun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Belgian is right, that was quite normal. As for the "gold" - that's simply a wrong color tone of the photo, I think.

Gunwolf

Sidelock
Sidelock

By the way, Otto Seelig from Wiesbaden was well known and I cannot imagine, he made or sold real kluncker (and this gun isn't)....! The trigger guard was quite normal in those days as well.Made from Horn for better grip also in the cold.

Gunwolf

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern
Well Jager, the French retractable slings were actually horrible; too slender, rotted in a flash when rolled up wet inside the stock, too hard to fasten/unfasten...Geo

Geo,

You probably have more experience than I, but it is only from personal experience that I speak..

I have two French guns with that horrible sling, one from 1925 and the other from 1937. The one approaching a hundred years old is in pristine condition, and the one made when the skies over Europe were darkening is also in excellent condition. Yes, it is narrow, and the first time I used it I was a little nervous that it would support the gun. It was not uncomfortable. Yes, fastening it to the barrels takes some twists and turns, but it is easily learned. As it is leather, it does take some care, much like corrosive primers required due diligence, and like rotted slings, we see pitted bores that reflect a dearth of said diligence.

Mostly, I think of the sling much like the more specialized tools that I have acquired over the decades. One in particular that comes to mind is the Portaband. Having gotten by cutting metal with a Sawzall or abrasive wheel for many years, the first time I used the new Portaband I thought, "How did I ever get along without this?" I have the same thoughts now at the end of a long upland hike, having arms full of stuff headed to my dove station, or even having shot my first Sandhill crane with my 16 Ideal- the birds are big, and, like a Tom, often carried over the shoulder with two hands on the neck. That horrible retracting sling was beautiful to me, a godsend.

Mike

Tolerance: the abolition of absolutes

Consistency is the currency of credibility
Sidelock
Sidelock

Wingshooter, I doubt I have any more experience than you. Just a matter of personal experience and taste I guess.

By the way, I replaced the rotted leather sling on an Ideal of mine with a nylon one straight out of a Hi-Standard .22 auto-loader which uses the same system. Only modification was to replace the metal end of the sling with the Napoleon's hat shaped end from the rotted Manufrance leather sling. I don't recall the model number of the Hi-Standard, but they often show up on the auction sites. It is a drop-in fit...Geo

Last edited by Geo. Newbern; 09/25/15 01:02 PM. Reason: can't type
Sidelock
Sidelock

Cool. I think in the long run you should get excellent service from the nylon strap, especially if it is replacing a leather spring. smile

FWIW, new replacement leather straps are available on e bay, and most of the sellers on the French auction site NaturaBuy seem willing to send small parts across the pond, and all the retractable parts/mechanism are still available. You can even buy another set of barrels in the white for your newly acquired No. 5.

Don't ask. smile

Tolerance: the abolition of absolutes

Consistency is the currency of credibility
Sidelock
Sidelock

Come on!!! Of course the gold wash is not original. More proof that in all Ed's time in the hobby gun business, he has not learned a thing.

Last edited by B. Dudley; 09/25/15 03:44 PM.

B.Dudley
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ed good
now here is an interesting one:

https://www.gunsamerica.com//980721146/Otto-Seelig-Wiesbaden-12ga-Double-Barrel-Early-1900s.htm?wl=1

how did they make those trigger guards? are they one piece?

and could that gold wash on the receiver be original?

Original trigger guard is one piece metal. Someone added that piece to prevent finger bruising from recoil. Modern ones seem to be made of hard rubber. The blackening, stock and action finishes are not original. That is what experts call JABC. I call something like that POS not to be confused with "legendary" Pride of Spain.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: B. Dudley
Come on!!! Of course the gold wash is not original. More proof that in all Ed's time in the hobby gun business, he has not learned a thing.

He started this thread because he has a few German built guns on Gunbroker and they aren't moving.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.