April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Hugh Lomas, LeFusil, Ted Schefelbein, Wild Skies, 1 invisible), 388 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,481
Posts545,233
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Utah Shotgunner
When I had it renovated, I thought about removing the sling swivels and cheekpiece, but have come to like it the way it is.

There comes a time when a sling is a blessing...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern
When I had it renovated, I thought about removing the sling swivels and cheekpiece, but have come to like it the way it is.

Well said, for example on a muddy Field, when your dog brings a bird still alive...But of course you can kill it with your teeth, if you have no sling..;-)

Gunwolf

Last edited by Gunwolf; 09/21/15 04:02 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

True, though I have never actually attached a sling to the swivels. wink

Mike
Sidelock
Sidelock

True, though I have never actually attached a sling to the swivels. wink

Our Slovenian friend explained how tight chokes go well with sling swivels. Americans are fond of rough shooting so other than Anglophile style I do not see why Americans do not like sling swivels. Naturally retractable ones like the French used to offer were the best.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well Jager, the French retractable slings were actually horrible; too slender, rotted in a flash when rolled up wet inside the stock, too hard to fasten/unfasten...Geo

ed good Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

we sling our rifles, but not our shotguns...

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have absolutely given up the trouble and expense of trying to hide the fact that my shotguns originally had swivels. If you have a German shotgun, you aren't hiding anything by plugging holes and welding up swivel bases. I am going out to the goose pit tomorrow morning and, at 70, I would not think of taking a gun without swivels and a sling. In fact, everything I will carry to the field will have a sling or shoulder strap, gun, bag, and whatever.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Eightbore you are right!
By the way, the Brits carry their guns always in a gun slip on their shoulders to the driven hunts and they don't need any sling because only standing there and shooting while birds still alive will looked after by their gamekeepers and dogs..! So they do not need their hands (or teeth) ;-)

Gunwolf

Sidelock
Sidelock

In my opinion, anyone that hunts without a sling is handicapping himself. Use one of the German "quick shortening" slings, and it won't hang down.
Mike

ed good Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

now here is an interesting one:

https://www.gunsamerica.com//980721146/Otto-Seelig-Wiesbaden-12ga-Double-Barrel-Early-1900s.htm?wl=1

how did they make those trigger guards? are they one piece?

and could that gold wash on the receiver be original?

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.