April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (cpa, JDH, Jimmy W, Pwog, MD2, 1 invisible), 351 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,480
Posts545,226
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Chuck, I will certainly do that. Give that new Ferlib a wringing out in the meantime and maybe we can get them together for a hunt.

I forgot to mention, earlier, something I noticed on the Dickinson that really impressed me, and that is the fit of the ejectors. When they are lying flat down against the breech face you can hardly see the line where they meet each other. If you did not look closely you would mistake it for an extractor gun. They worked with authority, too, yesterday. Gun is still tight to open and close, but it will loosen up some as I get her broken in.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Tom Bryant's a great guy. Given all the stores Cabela's now have, they need about 100 more like him!

Good to hear the Turks are doing a better job on triggers. That's been my main complaint on most of the Turkish guns I've played with.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan, I have a 16 ga. Dickinson and couldn't be more pleased with the quality and how it shoots. I asked the manager of the Cabelas in Owatonna, MN last summer if any customers are having issues with their Dickinsons and he said "None, and if I had a dozen 28 ga. guns they'd be gone in no time." 28's are the hot seller in that store. The 16 I have is a bit weight-forward and it eats clay targets better than my "target SxS" which suddenly had no purpose. Like yours, my barrel regulation was perfect horizontally and 60/40 vertically.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan, is that an oil or a no-gloss poly finish? Like it better than the thin hard gloss that came on my Dickinson 16 ga.

Jay

Sidelock
Sidelock

Charlie, I wasn't crazy about the finish on mine, so I had it refinished in a satin with some grain enhancement. My triggers were very crisp, but a bit heavy. Kody Kearcher lightened them and now they are crisp and delightful.

Sidelock
Sidelock

That looks like a 410 frame on that Dickinson. And, if I'm not mistaken, looking at the pics of these Dickinson's they all look like that have gauge specific frames.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan, watching you post about shooting dove limits with a .410 shotgun is an eye opener to me. As for me doing it myself, I am embroiled in a depressing global class shooting slump this year so I don't expect to be buying another Dickinson. I'm still trying to get around to finding someone to lighten up the trigger pulls on the 12ga I bought sight unseen a couple years ago...Geo

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

It looks to be an oil finish, but the pores are not all filled. I will probably take on the project Dave did. It looks great, Dave. You did a fine job, IMO.

I do think it is a true .410 receiver. I've got to give it a good cleaning this afternoon and I will measure the receiver. I do know that when I look at the underside of the receiver the thing that strikes me is how tiny it looks.

George, I understand your reluctance to the lil' gun on game, but the key is distance. A .410 kills the same way any other gauge kills .......... by density. The velocity of the shot is the same, the weight of the individual shot pellets are the same, and if you close in your maximum distances to shoot, the density can be the same. Given that, what could the difference be? Sufficient density in the pattern with a .410 just means doing the deed at closer range than bigger gauge guns. A dove centered at 25 yards with it is just as dead as a dove centered with a bigger payload.

SRH

Last edited by Stan; 09/20/15 02:11 PM.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Down at my club, Deep River, they have the same gun as this in the SKB. Wood seems to be same maybe a tad better.
Stan, you have answered my one concern about patterns especially with a gun in this price range.
My understanding is the 410 is made on the 28 gauge frame.
Anyway with the rounded receiver and the English stock it looks pretty "Racey".
Dave, you enhanced your Dickinson extremly and picture looks awsome. You mention "grain enhancement", you mean like waht Mark Larson does?
I have the fever now for a 410 and went to the Dickson website. Not sure if the English or Prince of Wales to choose from.
Anybody here have a Dickson with a POW? Maybe post a picture?

Mike Proctor
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks, Stan.

Yes, Mike, Mark Larson did the work. The gun was extremely high-combed and I sand-fitted it for drop and cast before sending it to Mark. I couldn't be more pleased with this shotgun.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.