May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
2 members (GETTEMANS, AGS), 266 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,531
Posts545,924
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
jeweler Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

You know I am and have always been leary of who was the manufacture of guns that have a blank space where it looked like some just engraved a name in the blank on the rib or the side plate.

monty
Sidelock
Sidelock

Monty, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the gun's heritage. It was made in the trade, as so many hundreds of thousands were. But, who cares. It is undoubtably a good workhorse and will probably outlast all of us. Banner engraved guns do not bother me and in no way do they indicate an inferior product.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: jeweler
You know I am and have always been leary of who was the manufacture of guns that have a blank space where it looked like some just engraved a name in the blank on the rib or the side plate.

I wouldn't be. You have a world class shotgun without the world class price.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I agree with Joe. There's nothing wrong with trade guns. This gun is actually quite attractive and the engraving is nice and somewhat unique. The oak leaves are very English and the bold ancanthus is pleasing to the eye. It's a nice gun. And for what it's worth, it matters not what lever work the action uses, most all trade actions were made with various types of lever work, ejector work, spring types, etc. Its a matter of what action maker was selling the actions at the best price at the time. The gunmakers would buy at the best price and finish the guns for whoever wanted finished product for their shelves or bench stock. This is practically how the entire English gun trade worked. Yes, even many "London" guns.

jeweler Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Good info. Shocks me three guns app 80 years old have almost identical engraving but rose scroll engraving has been copied many times... all looks like all the engravers must have been related.I guess I'm more ok with banner engraving if Joe and LeFusil are but when I said I was leery of what I've learned is called banner engraving I meant to say I was leery who made it... but I'm a big W C Scott fan and Westley Richards and I know they made trade guns.My first hammer gun had banner engraving and it was a Acme...evidently a common name of the time... in Belgium! also bought a Hamilton hammer antique... my sons name is Hamilton.... I think Acme made it too!Sold them for someone to make a Lamp! I guess they were considered lamp quality.
Thanks for all the input I still haven't held it yet but if I have any more questions about it I'll post.

Last edited by jeweler; 09/23/15 09:22 PM.

monty
Sidelock
Sidelock

Another one filed up and engraved is a similar manner.

http://www.heritageguns.co.uk/Sanders%20BLE/Sanders%20BLE%20Details.htm

jeweler Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Red Oak
that is almost the identical gun.. Who made it....? any Idea?

monty
Sidelock
Sidelock

Monty, you're never going to get the answer you want. Time has obliterated the trail. But the basic question is "where was it made" and the answer is unequivocally England, if that's what is concerning you. Who knows, the barrels may have been stitched together by the same guy who the day before finished a pair for a name London maker. The action forging was undoubtably milled by one of the major shops and an actioner working in a small walkup shop on St. Marys Row filed it up as he did with so many others. You know, I have several basic Birmy boxlocks that are actioned as well as any London gun I've ever handled. If you want to find out more about how the trade operated I suggest going to Amazon and searching "The Birmingham Gun Trade" by David Williams. Get a used copy. While it is intended to trace the development of interchangeable gun parts it of necessity had to reach back to the work of the individual craftsmen. Wonderful read and contains a number of previously unpublished photos of the shops. Producing it was a project of the City of Birmingham.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: jeweler
Red Oak
that is almost the identical gun.. Who made it....? any Idea?

Jeweler,

Arthur Howell & Co. in Birmingham would be my guess.

If so, it will have the AH&Co. stamp under the barrels that I described in an earlier reply.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.