May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (earlyriser, Kolar Dickson, L. Brown, Tim Wolf, 1 invisible), 270 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,561
Posts546,343
Members14,423
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Unless you are shooting rising birds/targets, such as box birds or trap targets, a high comb that causes you to see too much of the rib is going to be a great handicap to you. On other presentations you would be required to "float" the bird above the muzzle. This is not consistent with fine wingshooting.

I understood you wanted a hammer gun, as in "exposed hammers".

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm looking at all of the doubleguns I can find on web-sites but I thought you said you wanted a prince of wales grip? And unless you are consistently hunting behind good dogs, don't buy a hammer gun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

For Four thousand and if buying carefully you can probably find a nice Parker LC Smith or Fox.

Boats.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Stan, I would prefer an exposed hammer gun certainly. I was browsing and that one caught my eye as the walnut is beautiful! I am not dead set on exposed hammers if a hammerless sidelock really catches my eye. The hammer guns with sculpted fences are especially pleasing to my eyes.

Treblig, yes I would prefer a PoW grip. For some reason PoW gripped sculpted fenced hammer guns just look really good to me. I know they are not really the most ideal for hunting or target use but oh well, there is just something about them that looks beautiful. But again, I'm not dead set on it, if a perfect hammerless comes up I'd seriously consider it

NRA Patron Life Member
Sidelock
Sidelock

Beretta also made hammer doubles under the MiVal name (or something close to that). V. Bernardellis are great guns for the money, but the POW grip may be hard to find on a hammer gun. You could get a pretty nice Parker or Birmingham hammer double for your budget, but likely to be Damascus or twist barrels. Your best bet for a modern hammer double (other than Bernardelli) is probably going to be a used Spanish gun from one of the lesser known makers. I picked up a Sarasqueta hammer 20 last year for pretty reasonable money, with 32" barrels and 3" chambers.

Sidelock
Sidelock

My advice is to slow down and be sure what you want.

Your first post said you liked the looks of the AyA No 2 but you wanted a hammer gun with a prince-of-wales grip. The gun you linked to is a hammerless gun with a very tight pistol grip and a Monte Carlo stock. Most bad gun purchasing decisions are made when you jump and buy a gun that is not what you really want.

I suggest that you go to one or more SxS shoots which have multiple exhibitors so that you can see what is available before you jump and buy.

My wife and I own a number of shotguns - pump, semi-autos, O/U's, and SxS's. Included are two hammer guns, one a 16 gauge built in 1866 with a fairly tight pistol grip which requires low pressure 2 1/2" loads and the other a 1940's Belgian 24 gauge with a straight grip - needless to say neither uses easy to find or inexpensive cartridges but I've been reloading for 42 years so I keep them fed without issue.

I've shot over 5,000 rounds through the 1866 Joseph Lang and broken clays and killed a bunch of quail with it (my favorite quail gun). I've broken clays and killed quail and woodcock with the 24 gauge. I really enjoy shooting these guns but you should find someone to let you shoot a hammer gun a fair amount before you decide that you want to buy one.

I also have AyA No 2's in 12 and 20 gauge and when serious shooting is to be done these are the guns I go to.

Sidelock
Sidelock

FYI, Bernardelli Brescia 12ga, 30", English grip (half of a composed pair):

[img:center][/img]

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks Fly, you are right. I am finding the more I browse, the more looks interesting... I should just buy one of each lol!

Like this one, which is a hammerless with a bit fuller pistol grip than a PoW, but not as tight as the last
http://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-fo...un_id=100598597

I'll sit back and ponder awhile, I'm not in any big hurry to buy. My next sxs match isn't until early May. I had an an ideal in my minds eye for years, but it was never finalized as I figured it would be decades before I could buy one. Now that it has become a possibility, I need to finalize my ideal I guess. That why this forum is great- y'all point out what I need to think over more. Thank you!

Anyone have a picture of the Beretta hammer guns? I saw a black an white ad on Google images, but not the real thing

NRA Patron Life Member
Sidelock
Sidelock

Beretta Mi-Val at Steve Barnett, but shown as sold:

Sidelock
Sidelock

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.