Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#419094 09/16/15 06:41 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Gentlemen, I have a Remington Model 81 Woodsman in .300 Savage that desperately needs a new butt stock. These folks are the only ones I can find that appear to make them. I read the old thread from 2012 about horrible problems with this outfit. Ha anyone dealt with them recently?
Better, does anyone know where else I might find a butt stock for the old 81?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I assure you that the chances of you having issues with their product will be high.

EVERY single stock from them that anyone has supplied me with to fit has had issues. Some to the point of the product being un-usable.

It has gotten to where I have made the decision to no longer accept customer supplied anything from them.

But they must do something right as they still are in business.

And good luck ever getting them to take care of an issue of accept a return.

B.Dudley
Sidelock
Sidelock

Bill, in June of 2014 an acquaintance in Europe ordered from their website a gunstock that was supposed to be in stock. Paid immediately via paypal. After 6 months of total runaround, he asked me to get involved as I am in NA. Impossible from Europe. Took me another 6 weeks of my very best collections technique of pinning them down on every statement and following up religiously to get the refund. $200. They had to do it in three installments because they didn't have enough money in their paypal account. Total bullshit.

IMHO they got the money from some poor sucker in Europe and they were going to keep it and wait for him to give up.

I wouldn't go near them. Once a cheat, always a cheat. 2012 isn't that long ago.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have used them one time but they did the total job including checkering and finish. The first round of problems people were having with them hit the board just after I shipped the gun to them. I was surprised at how good a job they did for me. it was completed when they told me it would be. I can believe that if you order an off the shelf semi fitted stock you will have trouble. I would not hesitate to have them do a shooter or low grade gun. You get what you pay for

Sidelock
Sidelock

No, with Macon you often don't get what you paid for. My nightmare with them is more than I want to revisit. But the short version is they repeatedly lied to me about the work they'd done in fitting an off-the-shelf stock to my Rem. 31 with custom drop and LOP. Eventually I had to send it to a very good stocker and paid a significant premium to have him fix what Macon promised and failed to deliver. And I was never able to get them to return my original stock.

Jay

Sidelock
Sidelock

I can make you laugh until you hurt by telling my now hilarious tale of woe from these clowns regarding a Fox replacement stock.......TOO long to type here.....but I assure you it is a great fireplace tale......You would need to mix an appropriate cocktail ( a double) and settle in for the tale.....

Run , don't walk away from that site and those tales they spin regarding "the professional gunsmiths on staff here"

I don't bad mouth any one and hide behind a moniker, I'm Paul Melton and I welcome their rebuttal......

Sidelock
Sidelock

paul melton...a rare real person here.

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

I think we all hear the message about this "Stock Maker" loud and clear. However; Does anyone have a company they'd recommend to provide a partially finished stock?
I can remember buying stocks from a company called Fajen(SP?) but I believe they are long out of business.
Jim

Last edited by James M; 09/17/15 12:05 AM.

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I use my duplication machine for my own one-off work. I do not duplicate for others. And since most of what I work on are the hand fitted guns where one stock does not fit all, it works well that way.

I can only speak about companies that I have dealt with personally here...

I believe Wenig is still in business and I have had good experiences with their stuff.
I have not had a bad stock from Gunstocks Inc. But they primarily duplicate for the lower end, one stock fits most guns.
For winchester And other popular cowboy guns, Silver Hill Co stocks are very good.
And for rifle stocks, Rochards Microfit is also very good. They have a lot of good action patterns and profile choices.
I have used some stuff from boyds, but not enough to formulate a great opinion. Their customer service is a little so so.

What anyone has to remember about dealing with Parkers, Fox, LC or many American guns is that there is so much variation from gun to gun that unless you are having the original stock duplicated, or a pattern that you know is comparable with your action, chances are it won't work out well.

Now... With macon. I have personally seen duplications that were supposed to have been made from a original that the customer sent and they were nothing like the original and all messed up.

B.Dudley
Sidelock
Sidelock

No personal experience, but on forums like this one I've seen good feedback for Show-Me Gunstocks in Warsaw, MO.

Jay

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.