Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#418020 09/08/15 11:21 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Leopold's shotgun is a Fox XE 20 gauge with ordered with no safety. He was a handloader and did extensive patterning with this gun and a Parker, he recorded his results in his hunting journals. Glad to offer more information if you guys want.
The gun is in nice condition well used, well cared for.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Aldo Leopold is in my opinion the most important environmental writer of the 20th century and one of the one or two best in American history, mainly because he was able to express the essence of environmental attitudes and concepts in plain American.

If you want to see a description of "why we do this," read the section "A Man's Leisure Time" in the collection called "A Sand County Almanac." It's like lookin' into the mirror--or into this forum.

Then read "Natural History," and "Wildlife in American American Culture." Then read the rest of the book.

Leopold is the professor we all should have had. And yeah, he was just the kind of guy who would have hunted with a (real) smallbore Fox.

Thanks for this info, SWAMPMAN!

Last edited by Mike A.; 09/08/15 11:41 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Aldo Leopold: His Life and Work by Curt D. Meine. p. 193 excerpt (time period is 1921) -
"The Tome Club became Leopold's main hunting grounds.....The latest in a long line of spaniels named Flick joined the outfit. Aldo indulged in a new shotgun, a beautifully engraved, 20 gauge, double-barrelled Ainsley-Fox that cost the princely sum of three hundred dollars."

Sauk County Wisconsin 1943, with a GSP

Last edited by Drew Hause; 09/08/15 06:36 PM. Reason: Clarified date of picture
Sidelock
Sidelock

Swampman - tell us more about Leopold's shotguns.

I agree with Mike A. about "A Sand County Almanac". I don't read many books multiple times but I am about to start it for a third time after having read it for the first time 35 years ago in college. It's a very easy read and if I didn't know better, I would have thought his first calling was as a writer rather than the father of modern day conservation.

Tom C

�There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.�
Aldo Leopold
Sidelock
Sidelock

Are there an addl. photos available of him or his Fox?
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

At this point he had received his little Fox and very anxious to get used to it and his new glasses

Aldo Leopold Journal Oct 16,1921

"Started out intending to go to Torme but found Basque Bar full of black mallards and decided to stay. They were using as usual along the inside runs by timbered bank. Would have worked fine but for a swarm of pump packing hoodlums who started before daylight and kept everything a mile high."

Today's environmentalists are quick to quote Leopold and equally quick to forget his environmental/conservation ethic was inseparable from his love of hunting,fine shotguns and good bird dogs. The Aldo Leopold Foundation, however,celebrates this heritage.

I will send the easy link to photos when my adept computer helper returns.

SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Great picture but that is one funny looking spaniel........

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

If I remember the story correctly, it was a choice between a washing machine of that era and the Fox.....
Man after my own heart; he chose the Fox.

Sidelock
Sidelock

There was an article in ? that I read in the last year or so showing his Fox.I cannot remember where. Bobby

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Among his other accomplishments he must be remembered as the guy (with a bunch of kids running around outside all day) that convinced his wife Estella that a new shotgun would serve the family better than a washing machine.

Double Gun Journal had a story. Fall 2014

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.