May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (smlekid), 608 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,501
Posts545,497
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

Watson Bros also pioneered focusing an smallbores. As I understand it, the "best" quality 12 market was soft, and they started focusing on "best" quality smallbores.
If you handle a Purdey and Watson Bros. smallbore one after the other, and work their mechanicals, you'll have a preference.

Out there doing it best I can.
ed good Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

the gunman from england comment makes since to me:

"They became high priced because people pay silly money for them and dealers/sellers ask top dollar because people will pay silly money for them .Same as with cars, watches, art work, and celebrity memorabilia .People will buy and once the price is set it don't go down !

but, then stan's comment about magic makes since too...what price does one put on magic? i am shooting skeet these days with a magic ithaca...to me it is priceless.

and, how much does ego and vanity affect pricing of most high priced merchandise?

Last edited by ed good; 08/23/15 03:34 PM.

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

I quite agree that a well made SLE which fits you is a magical thing that once properly experienced. I further agree with Buzz that that experience can be had with other than a big name London Best gun

In fact a good value in British guns can be found in guns by second tier makers like Watson Brothers on a 12 bore. Gun like these are individuals and the variables are immense. Looking at this particular listing and the pictures provided make me think the following:

1. The challenge of the internet is a lack of physical inspection. But inspection periods mitagate a little.

2. Just because the seller says 2 3/4 does not mean he is right that the chambers are either lengthened over a shorter original length. I have on more than one occasion seen guns that are both still short chambered and the seller was wrongly saying 2 3/4. I know this as i went to their shops measured the chambers and explained to the disbelieving clerk thhey were wrong. One at Cabelas in KC even tried to explain to me those 21/2 in guns were in Europe only. I guess Greeners magically transform crossing the Atlantic. Many gunbroker sellers do not know what they are talking about.

3. Beautiful and prefect bores are rare in old guns, not impossible, but unusual in guns with the external wear that particular gun has. This along with look of the finish on the receiver and locks makes me really want to know wall thickness. The fact it weighs out at 6lbs 9.5 oz does give a little comfort, but the rubber pad, most likely added later is part of that weight. The seller does provide a three day inspection period so at least you might be covered there.

4. I go back to my earler posted question, do those locks look scrub up with steel wool or something?

5. Even through the buy it now shows 13.5 that may not be the actual reserve. In all things guns, prices are often very elastic. Recently I purchased a 20ga SLE foe 12k when the early on price was 15.9 then later 13.5.

Lastly on value, one always ask to ask the question in terms of what is it worth to me? I hold that all guns are to some extent rented, not brought. Few of us make actual money in gun speculation. In speculation most gun profit if any is made on purchase price alone. If buying an investment, this Watson may not be worth the bother, if buying to shoot it maybe worth exploring further.

Last edited by old colonel; 08/23/15 06:12 PM. Reason: Grammar spelling

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
Sidelock
Sidelock

Gentlemen;

The Watson Bros. gun in discussion here is a Birmingham made second quality with dovetail barrels made in 1901. and has been reproofed and the butt stock has been replaced. With the top rib engraving still in near original condition it appears that the barrels have not or maybe only once been re-blacked. To my eye and mind it was likely made by "The Midland" for Watson's. The Midland was making superb best and second quality London pattern SLE's at that time and on up unto WWI.

Also to my mind with the down turn of demand for such guns in America, the real value of this gun is no more than $5,000.00: while 10 years ago in America it was worth several thousand more.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ed will just continue to ask the same dumb question over and over regardless of the responses he gets. Because he is a troll and that is his MO.

B.Dudley
ed good Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

dudley: ah was tryin to be nice and jest ignore you... however, you must be reminded: this forum is supposed to have rules agin your kind...so please do refrain from trashin threads here and control yo self...

an if you wana joust, then meet me down below...an ah will sharpin mah nives and be ready an waitin fur ya...

Last edited by ed good; 08/23/15 06:14 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan, thanks for reminding us that those of us who shoot cheap guns win a lot of shoots, at least events at shoots. On the other hand, I also like nice second tier British guns and own a pair. I also own other English guns, but they are not 12 gauge and they aren't second tier. The reason no one should touch this Watson is that one barrel has been hogged out to .740. It doesn't matter that it is in proof, it is hogged out and probably marginal in wall thickness. The engraving is astounding, if not buffed over, and the stock is beautiful, if not restocked. Regardless of what American shotgunners say, a refinished, bored out, restocked, and whatever British gun is not accepted by buyers as proper goods at big prices. It is a refinished, bored out, restocked, and whatever gun that should be priced as such. I will not price the Watson Brothers, but will not buy it. British guns in high original condition should be priced high and should sell at high prices. Lesser guns should be priced accordingly. A serious buyer should search for the best guns and let the other ones languish on the internet sites.

ed good Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

there appears to be reading comprehension issues here...

but, i will try again...please compare these two, if you will:

http://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-fo...un_id=100500904

http://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-fo...un_id=100517336

ed good Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

"Regardless of what American shotgunners say, a refinished, bored out, restocked, and whatever British gun is not accepted by buyers as proper goods at big prices. It is a refinished, bored out, restocked, and whatever gun that should be priced as such..."

i tend to agree...so why is the redone purdey referenced above worth $35 grand?

Last edited by ed good; 08/23/15 06:32 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Bushveld, I am not sure of your opinion of the source of the Watson, but I'm not arguing the Birmingham source. Of course, a second tier maker is sourcing their actions and other parts from Birmingham. The pictures of this Watson gun don't make clear whether the action is a Scott rising lock or whatever they call it. (The correct terminology is the "Webley Screw Grip"). My 1911 Evans pair has that action and as far as I am concerned, it is the greatest little action I have ever seen. I can't see how it could ever get loose. British guns of second tier are available for sale, but the buyer must know his guns.

Last edited by eightbore; 08/24/15 08:43 AM.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.