May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
11 members (Hugh Lomas, ClapperZapper, Jimmy W, bushveld, graybeardtmm3, 3 invisible), 253 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,495
Posts545,341
Members14,410
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

James, I would be concerned with the pressure of the Hevi Shot load and a gun from 1875. Do you know what the pressure rating of the shell is? Additionally, hevi shot is hard shot and would scratch the barrel should one erode through the wad or get between wad and barrel. It's incompressibilty can also damage guns with choking greater than modified. Does a gun from 1875 have choke??

Sidelock
Sidelock

I would suspect the Holland & Holland cartridges have been loaded for them; probably by Hull Cartridges Co. Paper cases are just a little more expensive than plastic. Some shoots like you to pick up your empties at the end of the drive or at least live them in a small pile at your stand. One shoot I have been to have the Keeper's young son go round each stand or peg with a bucket at the end of the drive. He does well for tips. Good luck. Lagopus.....

Sidelock
Sidelock

We've always collected ours. In addition to removing litter, it allows you to keep decent track of how you're shooting.

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Hi, both Jeff and Larry and the others.

I'm mentally committed to taking the Grant. It's not the same borrowing a gun, whether from here or there. My gun was made for Lord Inchiquin, titular head of the O'Brian clan, back in 1876, so I'm sort of bringing it back home, or close, for a brief period. I know the risks. But part of the lure of shooting in Scotland are the traditions, and my own vintage hammergun just adds to the experience.
Regarding non-toxic shot, we also use lead for the waterfowl at all of the estates we've shot at. We shoot over man-made impoundments, mostly I suspect for sheep watering. I wonder if the non-toxic requirement is for natural water sites. In addition, although there may possibly be some wild ducks present, our outfitters buy and later release spring, day-old ducklings in the same manner as they do with the pheasant chicks. That may also alter the non-toxic requirement.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Leonard, not wishing to be rude , but congratulations on your naivety ! It makes not one iota of difference whether you shoot over a loch, lake or sheep dip , it's water and you need non-toxic. All this came about because we Brits were lead by the nose after a bunch of Greenies listened to Californians bleating about Snow Geese , Bald Eagles , Condors and using lies and falsehoods about the toxicity of Lead and how efficient soft iron was as an alternative. Twenty years later we are still hobbled by the lack of an efficient alternative to lead shot.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Salopian, he's shooting in Scotland, not England. I've shot waterfowl there with lead. I understand there are restrictions, but it's not a blanket ban. And I've always trusted the people running the shoots to tell me if it's legal. Expect Len is in the same boat.

Sidelock
Sidelock

You may well have not had any issues in the past however the situation as changed in the last few years.

The non toxic rules here are ridiculous and the shooting community is campaigning for changes with these laws, however the shooting community has a poor leg to stand on in this regard due to the historic mass non compliance to the non toxic rules.

The situation is simple, if you want to shoot wild fowl here comply with the law.

The law is simple:

In England if you are shooting wild fowl use non toxic.

In Scotland if you are shooting wild fowl and you can see a body of water; use non toxic.

The fact that the water might not naturally be there or that the ducks are put down is entirely irrelevant.

The situation has changed as we need compliance as we currently face loosing lead entirely which would be a disaster but that is what all reports say is coming.

Read more here:
http://www.leadammunitiongroup.org.uk/

Because the publicity the issue has had over the last few years sportsmen are more aware or the risks of non compliance and of the alternatives available.

Many shoots will try and enforce compliance now as, as much as any other reason insurance policies would refuse to pay out if it was found that the law was being broken.

To avoid the disappointment of having to sit out the duck drive I suggest you just get a box of cartridges for each shoot day so you are covered. Or arrange your out fitter to speak to the estates to get them to drive out another wood instead of ducks.

I think its awesome you are giving the grant a home coming and I would love to see a write up once you return.

If you want to read more about the issues the shooting community is facing with regards lead more is here:

http://www.leadammunitiongroup.org.uk/

http://leadshotcampaign.org.uk/?page_id=11

http://basc.org.uk/lead/

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicatio...mmunition-group

http://www.shootinguk.co.uk/features/lead-ban-a-world-without-lead-452

Sidelock
Sidelock

Shot ducks in Scotland as recently as last December with lead. But I don't recall that I could actually see a body of water on any drives where ducks were taken.

JNW Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Len,
I wouldn't take a trip without bringing my own gun either. I hope you have a fabulous time over there.
Regards,
Jeff

"We are men of action. Lies do not become us."
Wesley
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

We last year shot directly over water with lead.

The information that Demonwolf444 sent notes that bismuth is suitable for damascus guns, but can be $3 per shell. At first blush, that is awfully expensive, but we may shoot only one duck drive per day, so that might be 10 to 40 shells, depending on one's luck. Since the cost per shoot per day might be $1000 - $1500 (25 birds X $40-50 per bird), adding the extra cost per bismuth shell might not be that outrageous.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.