May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (Stanton Hillis, SKB, Chantry, Sandlapper, 1 invisible), 689 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,506
Posts545,600
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 15 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 14 15
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Nice to hear from Steven Hughes:

Look what I found on his site:

(I Cannot Answer Gunsmithing Questions! by phone or email! Nor am I taking in any repair or restoration work at this time. Individual firearms evaluations from $125. ~ Please be respectful on my time and need to earn a living"".

Steven: I think this is what I am talking about too

John

Last edited by arrieta2; 08/12/15 01:13 PM.

John Boyd
Quality Arms Inc
Houston, TX
713-818-2971
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: arrieta2
....Should they "have the decency to at least reply"?....

I think absolutely. Why not just block the email address, and put a little note up that stuff gets gobbled up by your spam program. So, if you're serious, please try again using a different email.

You see it at gun shows. A chit chatty tire kicker takes up the sellers attention. I'll wait patiently. If the seller has a half way decent minute for me, I'll buy something I'm happy with in a very short time. If they get busy wiping down stuff and looking around for the kid that was supposed to get coffee, I just stroll on. There're so many options.

Sidelock
Sidelock

John,
You really are missing the point.
SDH is a craftsman who works with his hands. In a manufacturing environment, time is money and his quality sells its self. Where as a retailer or someone who flips guns, salesmanship is a good portion of what you are selling.

I visited your place of business about 13 or so years ago. You couldn't answer important questions on a used sxs that I was looking at, I had to make an appointment and you didn't seem at all interested in making a sale. I can't for the life of me tell you what gun I was specifically looking at, but I can vividly recall the feeling I was left with.

Not trying to be a jerk, just some constructive criticism. You have been lead to water by a number of folk in this thread, but its up to you to drink.

One other thing an old man told me one time..., "you shouldn't shit where you eat".

Bill

Last edited by ithaca1; 08/12/15 01:41 PM.

Bill Johnson
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Bill:

As per you reply, time is money for anybody in sales. "People in sales are professional too.

I am sorry I do not remember you. Maybe the reason I did not answer your questions is that I did not know the answer.

John Boyd

John Boyd
Quality Arms Inc
Houston, TX
713-818-2971
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Bill:

Maybe you are confused about this statement: you didn't seem at all interested in making a sale"".

I do not hard sell folks, and after 43 years of doing this, most like that approach. I give guys straight answers. I talked a customer out of an So Beretta that I have because after questioning him, I told him it was not the right gun for him.

John

John Boyd
Quality Arms Inc
Houston, TX
713-818-2971
Sidelock
Sidelock

What a shame. To proud/arrogant to get it.

I'm sure your "professional" salesmanship abilities have alienated a significant number of potential customers with this thread.

Pretty obvious from your responses throughout the thread why I never have been back. Wasn't off the mark then and I'm not now.

Good luck with your business.

I'm done.

Bill Johnson
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: arrieta2

Maybe you are confused about this statement: you didn't seem at all interested in making a sale".

I give guys straight answers.

John

What a hoot! I'm confused?
John, your making my point for me. You didn't have the answers, nor did you show an interest in finding an answer. I don't like hard sell, but professionals have basic answers for customers. OR THEY WOULD FIND AN ANSWER. Example: bore dia, chokes, wall thicknesses, drop, LOP etc.. I wouldn't expect the guys at Collectors to have that info, but they are willing to get it. Pretty basic stuff though for a doublegun "professional". Wouldn't you agree? Go ahead, break out the shovel again and dig that hole a bit deeper.

I wouldn't expect you to remember me. To many years ago and the gun was only 4k max (not a big dog) as that is all I could afford at the time. My business partner was with me and his observations were consistent with mine.

Oh, in my previous post, I used the word craftsman not professional.

Last edited by ithaca1; 08/12/15 03:05 PM.

Bill Johnson
Sidelock
Sidelock

To give an example, a couple weeks ago a local-to-me dealer had a number of guns on GB, a couple of which I was interested in. I emailed him asking (a) whether he would allow in-state buyers to pick up rather than go through shipping to their FFL 30 or 40 miles up the road and (b) a question or two about the gun I was interested in, seeking to clarify his description.
He got back to me with straight answers.

I did not bid on the gun, but that was a function of the bidding having gone over my budget by the time I signed in an hour or so before the auction ended.

Does that make me a "bad" potential customer?

I was favorably impressed with his forthrightness and responsiveness - and thanked him for it in a brief email replying to his response. And I would consider doing business with him if I saw something he listed that I liked.

Example 2. Every dealer who won't respond to an email, or won't provide as-clear-as-possible pictures of the bores.

I won't do business with them. I'm gratified for them that they have been so successful that they don't need my money.

I try to ask straight questions and like straight answers. I'd rather a guy say he doesn't know than try to bullshit me.

At a gun show, I will step back while looking at someone's wares if he has another customer come along. I like chatting with the sellers to learn about what they're selling. I also like seeing how they treat other customers - to see if it's different from how they treat me.

And if I see something I want/need and the price is right, I buy it.

---

BTW, and a bit OT - if you want to shut down a telemarketer and make him go away, ask him whether he's accepted Jesus Christ as his personal Savior. Works.

fiery, dependable, occasionally transcendent
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Bill: I think you memory is bad. If you come to my office I have that info on the tags on the guns.

Some of you folks got what I am saying, and I appreciate it, others have not, so be it.

Thanks for the folks I have done business with on this site. You can see there feel that they have been treated right.

John

PS: Reminds me of a good friend of mine who passed way a couple of years ago. He was retired.

He was invited to various free financial seminars. The ones during the day provided lunch, the ones at night provided dinner. I said you are not going to do business with them, why do you go? He replied, free food!

John

Last edited by arrieta2; 08/12/15 04:11 PM.

John Boyd
Quality Arms Inc
Houston, TX
713-818-2971
Sidelock
Sidelock

And they continue to offer free food, without complaining about it, because it brings people through the door. They make no one feel unwelcome. And some of them buy.

Really, you don't seem to get it John.

Jay

Page 7 of 15 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 14 15

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.